Hey guys first off here is my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Gaming K6

RAM: 32GB GSkill Ripjaws 3600Mhz

GPU: Gigabye 980Ti G1 Gaming

PSU: Corair RM850X

So a bit of back story,

Last year my Motherboard died and I wasn't 100% sure if it was Motherboard, CPU or PSU so I erred on the side of caution and upgraded all. Not sure if this could effect what happened over the past few months.

Over the past few months, my GPU has been exhibiting weird behaviour. A few examples are:

1. The LED on the side (Windforce) should be set to blue but sometimes it's off completely and sometimes it's white. I always double check the software and when it's acting like this, any changes in the software don't have any effect.
2. The GPU reverts from PCI-E 3.0 16x to 8x
3. I experience huge amounts of lag, fps drops or stuttering in GAMES.

Rebooting or turning off PC does not help any of these.

What DOES fix all 3 issues is unplugging and replugging the PSU cables into the GPU or switching off the PSU at the switch on the back. These 3 things have been happening on and off for a few months.

So last night, there was a sound (I had headphones on but I heard something), my entire screen went red with no text or anything and I smelt burning (electrical). It was coming from GPU, PC still boots with or without GPU but don't want to test with GPU because everytime I do it smells like burning. I checked motherboard and I can't see any blown capacitors.

My PC seems completely fine without GPU, no smell, all clocks running smoothly, stress tests are no issue.

It seems very likely to be a dead GPU or even just a blown cap considering it is 4.5 years old and the rest of my PC is ~6months old.

There is no smell from the PSU but I noticed that when it is switched on there is a buzzing sound similar to coil whine even if the PC is not on. Also whenever I switch off the PSU at the switch at the back, if flick the switch slowly there is a zapping noise while flicking it. Are either of these normal?

I'm happy to buy a 2080 Super IF it is an isolated GPU issue, my fear is that it may be the PSU or something else and it might kill my new GPU.

Please help. What do you guys think?

TL;DR I was playing using my PC last night, there was a sound (I head headphones on but I heard something), my entire screen went red with no text or anything and I smelt burning (electrical). It was coming from GPU, PC still boots with or without GPU but don't want to test with GPU because everytime I do it smells like burning.

What psu do you currently have?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

My PSU also makes those sounds when I do that, not sure if that is normal. It sounds like a dead GPU, similar thing happened to me a month ago.

Was gonna say you got a shit psu and it blew everything but it’s rmx so that’s not the case.

2 hours ago, Heavenss said:
I finally decided to open up my GPU and I found this.

Something definitely blew. Could this be the cause?

That's a dead GPU.
You could try and get it repaired, or just replace it. I personally would sell it on E-bay as broken to recoup some of my costs.

It's not a race to the bottom.

4 hours ago, 0x1e said:

That's a dead GPU.
You could try and get it repaired, or just replace it. I personally would sell it on E-bay as broken to recoup some of my costs.

Yeah definitely. Is this something that would be caused by a bad PSU? Or just an OLD GPU? Or something else?

8 hours ago, Heavenss said:

Yeah definitely. Is this something that would be caused by a bad PSU? Or just an OLD GPU? Or something else?

I'm not 100% sure but i have a feeling that the bottom right of the card is to do with the 12v coming from the motherboard.
So I would guess that a dying motherboard took out the GPU by supplying bad power.
However that's just a guess.

It's not a race to the bottom.