Need help with Airflow setup.

Exaco

Hey all, would airflow like that gonna be smart? Or keep the back as exhaust?
Or better would be to put the radiator in front as intake, put 3 fans on top also as Intake and back one exhaust?

67490450_346482119575025_6098510864879452160_n.jpg.8873eadb1d1387c0afaedfb30ed7dde5.jpg
Ignore the cable management, the pic is old.
P.S. The PC normally sits on wooden floor, not on a carpet :D
P.P.S. My VRM is clearly overheating, even after ~3mins of PC being off the heatsinks are pretty hot.

10 minutes ago, Exaco said:

P.P.S. My VRM is clearly overheating, even after ~3mins of PC being off the heatsinks are pretty hot.

Do you have actual proof of them overheating? VRM's operate fine up to 100C, and if you would touch them you would burn your hand at that temp, but it would be fine for them.

The usual, most traditional and most logical setup for fans would be :

front: intake

Top and back: exhaust.

If you are worried at the vrm temp, then radiator at the top exhaust makes more sense as front intake.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

45 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Do you have actual proof of them overheating? VRM's operate fine up to 100C, and if you would touch them you would burn your hand at that temp, but it would be fine for them.

I've tried during stress test few mins ago, was able to hold fingers on the VRM heatsink for like 3-4secs before it was about to burn, i even still feel very mild burning pain on one of the fingers.
Edit: the top heatsink is pretty cold.

Just now, Exaco said:

I've tried during stress test, was able to hold fingers on the VRM heatsink for like 3-4secs before it was about to burn, i even still feel very mild burning pain on one of the fingers.

WHYYYYYY

Why can't you just open cpuid HWmonitor, Corsair LINK, or any other monitoring software and just look at the VRM temperatures from there?

No need to give yourself first degree burns over nothing.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

WHYYYYYY

Why can't you just open cpuid HWmonitor, Corsair LINK, or any other monitoring software and just look at the VRM temperatures from there?

^^^ 100C is the temp of boiling water, may as well slap your hand in the pot next time you're making noodles. Tis the reason they made monitoring software, so you can get reasonably accurate temps without either needing to buy more equipment or actually touch the hardware while it's all heated up. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

WHYYYYYY

I don't think there's a sensor for that or it's simply broken, it always says 29C no matter what.

Just now, Exaco said:

I don't think there's a sensor for that or it's simply broken, it always says 29C no matter what.

For which sensor? Usually there's 2 or 3 mobo temp sensors, they're not always labeled as VRM (never have been for me, just tmp0, tmp1, etc). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Which software? Sometimes some software can read it, and some wont.

Anyways because you are not in the hospital, the temp was probably max 60-70c, so completely fine.

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For which sensor? Usually there's 2 or 3 mobo temp sensors, they're not always labeled as VRM (never have been for me, just tmp0, tmp1, etc). 

Here i've thrown all the temp sensors i found in HWiNFO.
I've even tried using the Asrock Tuning utility from mobo website it also says 29C.

There's probably reason why many youtubers use these Thermal lasers to check VRM Temps.

77ef83392c90d21062b9a9b6a1fd04e9.png

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

Here i've thrown all the temp sensors i found in HWiNFO.
I've even tried using the Asrock Tuning utility from mobo website it also says 29C.

-snip-

Tried HWMonitor? 

Main PC 

17 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Tried HWMonitor? 

695711c5a88420cadbdafd0bdfc8b5cd.png.60525122a3b92d919e91aa40b8c71c02.png
Not sure if there's even VRM in there.

@Origami Cactus 
Lol, doubt 100c metal could make any damage when touching it with tip of the fingers.

4 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Not sure if there's even VRM in there.

The TMPIN sensors are likely the VRM and other mobo sensors, none are over 100C or even 70C so you should be bueno. 

2 minutes ago, Exaco said:

@Origami Cactus 
Lol, doubt 100c metal could make any damage when touching it with tip of the fingers.

If you just touch it for a split second then yeah. But you don't get an accurate measurement, only info you get is "this is a hot surface". 

Fingers are not very accurate thermometers. 

Main PC 

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

The TMPIN sensors are likely the VRM and other mobo sensors, none are over 100C or even 70C so you should be bueno. 

If you just touch it for a split second then yeah. But you don't get an accurate measurement, only info you get is "this is a hot surface". 

Fingers are not very accurate thermometers. 

Still pretty sure the readings are fkd up thats why i switched to hwinfo which is superior in terms of readings and functionality such as RTSS OSD support. Before BIOS update the HWMonitor showed ~97c on something.

The TMPIN5 could be most realistic temp for VRM, but still imo it's bit too cold compared to how it feels especially considering i didn't even touched the actual VRM which probs would be alot more hot. But according to google skin can get burned from 44c, so that could make sense.

Personally I'd put that AIO in the front and set it up as an intake.  Put it as low above the HDD cage as you can, that way the bottom fan blows air towards the GPU and the top one blows its air more over the top half of the motherboard. 

Keep the rear fan, but use it as an exhaust. 

That's just 3 fans, which should be enough to keep a single-GPU system at reasonable temps ... if your case has enough airflow.  What case do you use?

If you really need more airflow, add 2 fans in the top.  Either have them at low RPM as intake fans or have the front-most one as intake and the other one as an exhaust.  You'll need to try both options to find out what works best on your setup.

10 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Personally I'd put that AIO in the front and set it up as an intake.  Put it as low above the HDD cage as you can, that way the bottom fan blows air towards the GPU and the top one blows its air more over the top half of the motherboard. 

Keep the rear fan, but use it as an exhaust. 

That's just 3 fans, which should be enough to keep a single-GPU system at reasonable temps ... if your case has enough airflow.  What case do you use?

If you really need more airflow, add 2 fans in the top.  Either have them at low RPM as intake fans or have the front-most one as intake and the other one as an exhaust.  You'll need to try both options to find out what works best on your setup.

Well i plan to get an x3 Fans for front as intake soon. Or i could use the china ones, but it uses Molex so not sure if that's even good to use.

Deepcool E-Shield 

Your PSU fan arrow is to wrong way. PSU fans are intakes, but when they intake from outside the case, it's excluded from whole case airflow.

Otherwise all good. If you keep rear as intake, remember that it too needs filter. Most cases only have filters at bottom and front.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Your PSU fan arrow is to wrong way. PSU fans are intakes, but when they intake from outside the case, it's excluded from whole case airflow.

Otherwise all good. If you keep rear as intake, remember that it too needs filter. Most cases only have filters at bottom and front.

Yeah, it was mistake with the PSU, also i didn't think about the dust, thanks!

On 9/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Personally I'd put that AIO in the front and set it up as an intake.  Put it as low above the HDD cage as you can,

I'd say mount it as high as possible so the bottom fan can be just a fan so the GPU gets fresh outside air instead of air that's been heated by the AIO.

6 hours ago, Dean.P. said:

That is a lot of GPU sag there!

Lol, that gpu is fkn beast in terms of size and weight ( 1.4kg ) :D