New Video Editing PC

Hi,

I am building my new video editing pc and created a part list from part picker but not sure if it's an overkill or if I'm lacking something for a 4k video editing. I am not focused on gaming at all it is mostly for video and photo editing. I want to keep it under 2500$ and right now it's little over the desired budget.

Also I am looking for some recommendation for some 4k monitors for this particular build.

25 minutes ago, bhoot001 said:

Hi,

I am building my new video editing pc and created a part list from part picker but not sure if it's an overkill or if I'm lacking something for a 4k video editing. I am not focused on gaming at all it is mostly for video and photo editing. I want to keep it under 2500$ and right now it's little over the desired budget.

Also I am looking for some recommendation for some 4k monitors for this particular build.

DId you mean to put in the RAM twice?

Which editing software will you be using? Because Adobe Premiere Pro functions a fair bit better on Intel

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

5 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Which editing software will you be using? Because Adobe Premiere Pro functions a fair bit better on Intel

That's true with lower end R5/R7s but OP's using a 3900X which (according to the GN benchmark) is better then Intel's 9900k in rendering.

Also OP: If you are using Premiere Pro then you could go for a Nvidia card, Premiere has CUDA acceleration.

5 hours ago, bhoot001 said:

Hi,

That NVMe SSD looks a bit overpriced, you can get 1TB NVMe SSDs for under $200, even a Samsung 970 Evo (M.2 NVMe) costs less then the Corsair one. Is there any reason you chose that specific SSD?

18 hours ago, Aliairstinger said:

DId you mean to put in the RAM twice?

I wanted to get 32gb with cas latency of 17 and this was the cheapest

17 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Davinci Resolve 16

12 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

That's true with lower end R5/R7s but OP's using a 3900X which (according to the GN benchmark) is better then Intel's 9900k in rendering.

Also OP: If you are using Premiere Pro then you could go for a Nvidia card, Premiere has CUDA acceleration.

I specifically wanted to opt for Davinci Resolve as I find it easier to control and don't have to go on subscription based service for my software. One time payment and it's done 

12 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

That NVMe SSD looks a bit overpriced, you can get 1TB NVMe SSDs for under $200, even a Samsung 970 Evo (M.2 NVMe) costs less then the Corsair one. Is there any reason you chose that specific SSD?

I used Corsair as it is PCI gen4 and amazing read and write speeds as compared to anything on the market other than gigabite PCI gen4 and as I will be rendering mostly 4k videos so the time will be alot less and also it is future proof. 

1 hour ago, bhoot001 said:

Davinci Resolve 16

So the latest DR benchmarks I can find are for build 15.1.2.8 (pre Zen 2) so my information is a bit out of date, but the findings should still hold mostly true.

Your CPU choice is really only beaten out by some vastly more expensive Intel and Threadripper options so that should be fine. Since the most comparable CPUs on their list are the 8 core 2700X and some 2nd gen Threadripper stuff, I've had to approximate based on the ZEN 2 architecture improvements that your 12 core should give you no problems. According to Puget, performance increases start dropping off around 14 cores anyway so you're right in the sweet spot.

I've nothing against this cooler. 

Mobo is looking good.

Can't complain about 32GB of high speed RAM. 3600Mhz is probably more than fast enough and I would have honestly gone with a 2600-3000 Mhz speed, but I run my rig at DDR3 1866 so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Going to be honest here, but I am going to criticize you on the single 1TB M.2. Your mobo has 2 M.2 slots and making use of that ballin NVME transfer speed is a thing I'd like to see happen here. Swapped the traditional HDD for a Hybrid Drive as I just happen to like Hybrid Drives.

So on the GPU end of things, unfortunately DR just performs better with NVIDIA cards at the moment (The one exception being the Radeon VII as it only outdone by the RTX Titan). Even the base 2060 scored 69 points higher on the 4K render test than your more expensive choice here. For roughly the same price, a 2060 Super will give you 191 more points in the 4K render test. So you can either go with a slightly cheaper 2060 and use the savings to buy another external storage drive or go with the 2060 Super for a similar price point

Got nothing against the case or the PSU so I'll leave those as is.

For a relatively similar price point, here's my very basic modification to your original build.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

1 hour ago, The_Prycer said:

So the latest DR benchmarks I can find are for build 15.1.2.8 (pre Zen 2) so my information is a bit out of date, but the findings should still hold mostly true.

Your CPU choice is really only beaten out by some vastly more expensive Intel and Threadripper options so that should be fine. Since the most comparable CPUs on their list are the 8 core 2700X and some 2nd gen Threadripper stuff, I've had to approximate based on the ZEN 2 architecture improvements that your 12 core should give you no problems. According to Puget, performance increases start dropping off around 14 cores anyway so you're right in the sweet spot.

I've nothing against this cooler. 

Mobo is looking good.

Can't complain about 32GB of high speed RAM. 3600Mhz is probably more than fast enough and I would have honestly gone with a 2600-3000 Mhz speed, but I run my rig at DDR3 1866 so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Going to be honest here, but I am going to criticize you on the single 1TB M.2. Your mobo has 2 M.2 slots and making use of that ballin NVME transfer speed is a thing I'd like to see happen here. Swapped the traditional HDD for a Hybrid Drive as I just happen to like Hybrid Drives.

So on the GPU end of things, unfortunately DR just performs better with NVIDIA cards at the moment (The one exception being the Radeon VII as it only outdone by the RTX Titan). Even the base 2060 scored 69 points higher on the 4K render test than your more expensive choice here. For roughly the same price, a 2060 Super will give you 191 more points in the 4K render test. So you can either go with a slightly cheaper 2060 and use the savings to buy another external storage drive or go with the 2060 Super for a similar price point

Got nothing against the case or the PSU so I'll leave those as is.

For a relatively similar price point, here's my very basic modification to your original build.

Thank you so much!!! for detailed explanation and reviewing my build. I went with 5700xt as DR is supposedly working with AMD and making 5700 cards much more compatible with their rendering and color grading procedures in near future. But I will definitely keep an eye out for 2060 super as in terms of test and other geekbench it is just tad below 5700xt.

The reason I went with one NVME as I am trying to keep my initial build under 2500$ and in future when things are getting more stable financial I can always opt in for another SSD or NVME for that matter.

I went with 32gb 3600ghz as it works best with 3900x and recommended by AMD. 

Any recommendations for 4k monitors as those are necessary to edit 4k videos