GPU Driver bricking GPU's?

Purity

I was wondering if it possible for drivers to brick GPU's?

I had no problem with my 1070 with driver 436.02, after I updated to 436.15, I'm lucky to get 40+fps in any game.

My current setup :

CPU - i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz

GPU - GTX 1070 Founders

RAM - 32GB DDR4 @3000MHz

If anyone can help that would be great! I am looking at getting a 2070 anyways but I would like to have this as backup for my 2nd PC.

I've tried all that, nothing is working anymore. I'm afraid that it might of done something to the card itself. I've even reinstalled my Windows onto a new drive to remove all traces of the drivers.

3 minutes ago, Purity said:

I've tried all that, nothing is working anymore. I'm afraid that it might of done something to the card itself. I've even reinstalled my Windows onto a new drive to remove all traces of the drivers.

Well doing those steps should have resolved your problem. Perhaps the install had a hiccup that damaged the GPU. 

I guess I'm just gonna have to get a new GPU then....

24 minutes ago, Purity said:

I was wondering if it possible for drivers to brick GPU's?

I had no problem with my 1070 with driver 436.02, after I updated to 436.15, I'm lucky to get 40+fps in any game.

My current setup :

CPU - i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz

GPU - GTX 1070 Founders

RAM - 32GB DDR4 @3000MHz

If anyone can help that would be great! I am looking at getting a 2070 anyways but I would like to have this as backup for my 2nd PC.

use display driver uninstaller (DDU) to clear the drivers.then install a freshly downloaded driver

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

If you bricked something, you wouldn't be getting 40fps. You would be getting zero video output and the card would be functionally as useful as a brick.

Give DDU a shot and reinstall the latest drivers, if that doesn't work, DDU again and install the previous drivers, if that doesn't work then your problem likely isn't the drivers.