[UPDATE:Bugfix bricks USB, audio, and more] The Very Hungry Cortanapillar - Cortana eating 40%+ CPU usage with update despite tester warnings

rcmaehl

I shouldn't have to manually delete a folder or dummy an executable to shut off a surveillance process on my computer. Since Cortana and Search are now once again divided, why can't I just gracefully, by design, be able to shut down the process entirely as a part of disabling the use of Cortana? Uninstalling it completely would be nice too, but I can see where maybe, some day, it could become useful and effective. Alexa is a nosy hag, but at least she does things for me, like turn on or off my LED lights and pause and resume my DVR playback when I want to hit the bathroom. Come on MS, just give us a real option here!

Oh, and about that Tux and 'join the Dark Side' - light saber should be red if Tux is the Dark Side, not green.

26 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Useless assistant eats up a lot of resources for no reason. Amazing.

The Windows Insider program is such a joke.

FTFY.

Seriously, I know there are systems out there with a weak CPU, using 40% will cause BIG problems for them.

And people wonder why I hate W10 and want to stick with W7.

It's always something with W10, since the release it has been plagued with issues and it just doesn't stop...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

32 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I need to do a Windows reinstall on a client's PC next week. Is Cortana going to be crashing my party?

Master Chief couldn't escape her, yet you want to believe somehow you will?

3 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Master Chief couldn't escape her, yet you want to believe somehow you will?

I have already! I had help from tux.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

If only the Windows team could write 2 lines of code without introducing 7 new major bugs ...

image.jpeg.f19a9912f2f276e731b0afdbea59cdb5.jpeg

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Is thus just taking up a lot of resources on a particular core? Or is this pinning multiple cores for no reason? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Pentorin said:

Why is Cortana still a thing? I get that some people can get slight use out of it but I personally have yet to find a reason to use Cortana over just manually doing the action myself.

For the same reason IE lasted as long as it did.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

For the same reason IE lasted as long as it did.

In that case they'd better get rid of Cortana ASAP.  They might save lots of lives.

18calq4ybym0sjpg.jpg.2f3a9ab58188f95ba9a51e59e15dc6b6.jpg

33 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

In that case they'd better get rid of Cortana ASAP.  They might save lots of lives.

18calq4ybym0sjpg.jpg.2f3a9ab58188f95ba9a51e59e15dc6b6.jpg

Wait - what does the percentage indicate?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Wait - what does the percentage indicate?

Internet explorer market share

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Internet explorer market share

Ohhh right, got confused by the layout. probably reading too much into the meme though xP

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lol..... you guys are ridiculous.... the post is synonymous with that old hootie and the blowfish song "hold my hand". Turn it off.... i cannot express how easy it was and how great my life has been not dealing with it. It has always been off.  As it should be. 

10 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Lol..... you guys are ridiculous.... the post is synonymous with that old hootie and the blowfish song "hold my hand". Turn it off.... i cannot express how easy it was and how great my life has been not dealing with it. It has always been off.  As it should be. 

Disabling Cortana is anything but easy though. 

It's easy to disable some things like the always listening, but to disable it completely is very difficult. 

20 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Just kill Cortana? There's a really easy way to and you don't need it any more any ways... or at least I thought one of the points in 1903 was that Microsoft was untying Cortana from Windows Search once again (even though I have done it with Classic Shell years ago already).

Could you maybe link to some instructive literature on this subject, for those of us wanting to disable Cortana, but previously though it was impossible?

I could google it, but I like my information first hand when it comes to making alterations to my operating system.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That sucks, don't even have it though so I'm good. But really bugs like this shouldn't pass easily. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

She's finally going Rampant.

The fix is to just keep slapping her hand away when ever she tries to reach for the CPU.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

36 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Could you maybe link to some instructive literature on this subject, for those of us wanting to disable Cortana, but previously though it was impossible?

I could google it, but I like my information first hand when it comes to making alterations to my operating system.

linux!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

40 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

@Delicieuxz has a guide in their signature for how to disable most of the annoyances of W10

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

52 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Of course! It's really simple:

Open Task Manager and locate the Cortana process, right click and "open file location".

How-To-Completely-Disable-Cortana-In-Win

Once you done that Windows will take you to the native folder of Cortana which is named as Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

Select the folder and attempt to add an .old to the end of the folder name, hit ok and it will fail because Cortana is still running:

How-To-Completely-Disable-Cortana-In-Win

But it's good to have this window so now you can go back to Task Manager and kill Cortana's process, this will give you about 2 seconds before Windows attempts to restart Cortana process in this time window hit the Try Again and it should successfully change the folder name.

Once done the .old extension will make Windows know the Cortana files are in there so it won't try to restore them through Windows Update in any way but at the same time the registry entries that tries forcing Cortana to restart won't find it since the directory has changed essentially killing it forever.

There you go Cortana will no longer be present on your system, do note that you'll need Classic Shell or be on Windows 10 1903 or later otherwise your Windows Search Bar will not work without Cortana!

-

Why not do the Registry Method listed above? Windows Update often will fix the entries restoring Cortana after a while.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Princess Luna that sounds great, but if you then open Windows Event Viewer, is the log going to be a solid scroll of errors as Windows tries ad nauseam to restart Cortana? That might be as bad on CPU cycles as Cortana itself.

Everybody should stop using that search bar. Small taskbar buttons makes it go away. 

I run Windows 10 LTSC, which doesn't have Cortana in it by default.

You can get a copy of Windows 10 LTSC from eBay for cheap.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I think at this point Microsoft has sullied the name Cortana, such a cool thing back then, now it's just a sad former shell it once was.

MS really need to inform users that clicking "check for updates" is the equivalent of signing up to be a beta tester.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.