should games use 100% of my system?

whatiswang

So I just built my new rig after having a potato for 4 years, I mainly play a lot of rust but I only use like 60% of my system when I do, is this normal? I have a 144hz monitor but it hangs around 100 fps due to the usage. If this isn't normal then is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm just not used to this since my old pc was a piece of garbage.

100% usage is bad for anything. If they use less, thats good.

If you want 144hz, lower the details (Ultra is for screenshots anyway)

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

I already play at low settings for visibility but I am 99% sure that 100% usage won't be bad for my pc, I thought it was high temps that did it

40 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

100% usage is bad for anything. If they use less, thats good.

If you want 144hz, lower the details (Ultra is for screenshots anyway)

Why would you want your computer to not be fully utilized?

If your game is only using 30% of your GPU and 30% of your CPU then there's a bottleneck somewhere and your not getting the full performance out of your computer that would be possible.

You want your GPU to be at 100% and CPU to also be pretty close to 100%.

Some games will NEVER be efficient either.

Lazy efficiency exists.

You dont need the whole CPU at 100% to start a NECKING. Just the main thread being used for the game...

A single render/tasks thread the game uses can easily be maxed out (85-100% of 1 core/mainthread) and drop GPU usages down or induce variations.

Call them bad ports, bad optimizations or single or dual thread aware but with obvious issues...

Some games will just never be perfect for all the differing types of hardware combinations and expectations that it all should just work well.

Rust is known for not getting the best out of hardware.

This is why it pays to research (any game) and find people's experiences before a purchase.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, whatiswang said:

should games use 100% of my system?

Yes. When your CPU hits and holds 100% for long periods of time that is what you don't want. That's an indicator to lower individual graphic settings and/or lock your frame rate until your CPU usage isn't hitting 100% as often. A decent cooler that is at least better than stock cooling is great to have to keep your CPU cool for when it hits and hold 100% more often than not. As long as your CPU is well cooled and kept a good ten degrees lower than it's maximum temp, you should be fine.

I mainly play a lot of rust but I only use like 60% of my system when I do, is this normal?

You'd have to do research on Rust itself. Watch videos of people with similar specs to see what their usages are doing. If you're getting similar frame rate to more and more people, then I would guess it's normal. Some games are not well optimized so keep that in mind. And as a result, they'll have weird usage.

I already play at low settings. I have a 144hz monitor but it hangs around 100 fps due to the usage. If this isn't normal then is there anything I can do to fix it?

If you want more than 100 fps on the lowest settings you must do research on what hardware allows over 100 fps in whatever game you're playing.