Need to be schooled in the art of Home Theater setups

Donut417

Current:

https://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN32B360C5DUZA-specs

Second Gen Amazon Fire Stick

HD Homerun + Plex Pass 

TV Stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M159REQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im not looking to buy now, but I want to start doing research on my next project. Getting my TV setup in a better state. To be clear this is a bedroom, but its where I spend most of my time. We get our content OTA with an antenna. Now Im planning on buying this antenna and a 4K roku box, the current antenna works, but some days the signal is not as stable as Id like. The 4K roku is mainly because my parents have the 4K roku sticks, even though they dont have 4K TV's and these sticks work with Plex a hell of a lot better than the Fire Sticks do. Im going for the box mainly for Ethernet as my router is in the same room as the TV. Most of my Plex content is DVD quality, I do have some Blurays, but I dont have a way to digitize them yet. 

What I want to know:

1. Is 4K worth it? Considering the low res content I have and the fact I wont be streaming 4K over the internet due to data caps. So Blurays will be my only option (Most likely some kinda of Xbox, either the S, X or I might wait for the next gen). I kinda want Pokemon: Detective Picachu in 4K, dont judge me. 
  2. HDR? Seems to be different standards, what the fuck am I looking at here? 
  3. Sound. What should I look for here? Mind you my moms bedroom is right next door, but would like better sound. 
  4. What tech should I look at,? VA panels, IPS panels, QLED, OLED (Concerned with burn in here) I sleep with the TV on most of the time. 
  5. What brands?
  6. How much power is this all going to use? LOL. I run my modem, router, NAS, Plex server, desktop PC, TV, Nintendo Switch all in my room thats why Im asking. OH and in the summer I run a Window Air conditioner, it pulls 300 watts according to the plug, on cooler days I have a few fans that I use instead. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

There are a few major questions I have to get the ball rolling on helping with the rest of the situation.

Budget?

How big of a screen? (Your current stand is up to 50inches)

How amazing do you want audio quality?

8 minutes ago, Ian Wolf said:

There are a few major questions I have to get the ball rolling on helping with the rest of the situation.

Budget?

How big of a screen? (Your current stand is up to 50inches)

How amazing do you want audio quality?

Id like to stay around a grand for all of it, TV, Sound and Xbox. But im willing to spend if its worth it. Thats why I need to know if its worth going to 4K or not, because I can get a hell of a 1080 screen for cheap I figure. Then I can just use my PS3 to play blurays or digitize them for Plex.  I just need generally info on what to look for. What features to spend the money on. 50" is probably about as big as I could go. I plan on using that stand due to the fact the TV sits on a very small Table at the foot of my bed. 

I dont need Dolby Atoms quality, but better than the shit speakers that will come with the newer TV's. My biggest concern is needing to plug in my Streaming stick, Nintendo Swtich, and possibly a PS3 or Xbox at some point. My current TV only has 2 HDMI. I could also make my Raspberry Pi a retro console again and use that as well. I got lots of roms. Which is why I either need a TV with lots of HDMI hookups or a receiver (which is a fucking rabbit hole as well). 

As I stated, Im mostly doing research at this point. Just built a new PC, so funds are on the light side right this moment. But Id like to keep and eye out for deals and such. 

is 4k worth it? to me hell yea...but content you will want to try and grab 1080 or better..720 is good and anything below that you will see its low quality...actual uhd content looks gorgeous like from netflix and amazon
hdr now that one is tricky..here is where your tv will cost because low end 4k tvs hdr isnt so good..then theres some mid tier then the high end.....quality of tv also makes a difference if your running your comp on it. (example samsung 7000 and 8000 series doesnt like windows hdr, it looks like crap) also with hdr some companies like samsung has their own version of hdr. like on the 7000 and 8000 series samsung has the soap opera effect.

sound is going to be what you can do (without pissing off the rest of the house lol ) you might be good with a decent sound bar

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ut content you will want to try and grab 1080 or better..720 is good and anything below that you will see its low quality

That the problem. I got about 100 or more DVD's. Not going to replace them all. Plus TV is delivered OTA at this house. Thru my HDHome run piped in to my Plex server. That content ranges from SD to HD quality. OTA content will be my primary source. 

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

hd content looks gorgeous like from netflix and amazon

1 TB data caps make that not an option as well. With just HD content we use 700 to 999 gigs of data a month. We have came close to crossing the cap several times. Its $10 for every 50 Gigs we use over that. 

4 minutes ago, circeseye said:

if your running your comp on it.

Not planning on it. Plus the computer is on the other side of the room. Mostly going to be using a streaming device, most likely Roku, a Nintendo Switch and maybe an Xbox of some kind for 4K Bluray playback and probably some gaming. As well as my Raspberry Pi for retro Pi. 

7 minutes ago, circeseye said:

sound is going to be what you can do

So a 2.1 Vizio soundbar shoud work then? I might swing the 5.1 setup. LOL. It not like Id need to have the volume on Jesus Christ if I have decent sound system. 

an actual dvd doesnt look to bad..its actually depends on when it was made lol...the newerish dvds look clear and clean..but then theres the older ones (shudders) lol

data cap? (time to upgrade to unlimited unless you have a crappy provider )ewww then yea you dont want to do uhd and even actual 4k content streaming

i will say if you game on your comp even running the game at 1080 or even 2k its looks sooo good...and everything else would be fine with a 4k tv

a good 2.1 wouldnt be to bad then theres the bigger bars, there are some that actually sound pretty good surround sound wise.

a good bar will still be cheaper then going with a receiver and speakers

Just now, circeseye said:

pgrade to unlimited unless you have a crappy provider

Not at $50 extra a month. Not happening. We already pay $103 for what we got. And Comcast is the ONLY provider in our area. 

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

f you game on your comp even running the game at 1080 or even 2k its looks sooo good...and everything else would be fine with a 4k tv

Cant really game on the PC, too much. I switch to Linux after having a falling out with Windows 10. I like Pop OS much better than Windows 10 as it fucking works. Though the Nintendo Switch isnt really a 4K console to begin with anyway. 

yeeesh...yea well considering everything to go 4k tv is going to be up to you...now one thing if im not mistaken if you use a blueray player doesnt it upscale dvds? (havent used a player since blueray first came out lol) so not sure how the upscaling looks if it does it

but all in all get a really good 1080 tv? and a good sound bar.  those 2 you should be able to stay under 1000 easy. going 4k id say more at a 1000 or more for good on both

you can definitely get a nice size 1080 cheaper then a 4k at said size

15 minutes ago, circeseye said:

blueray player doesnt it upscale dvds?

No. Not when Im streaming the movies from Plex. My goal is to digitize all my disks (with 4K being that exception, because Id need eleventy billion TB of storage)  so I dont have to go fetch a movie. I dont think Plex will up convert, but I could be wrong. Also not sure if the PS3 up converts or not. Because thats the only Bluray player we have. 

17 minutes ago, circeseye said:

going 4k id say more at a 1000 or more for good on both

The money is not really the issue. Hell I spent $1300 on a custom built PC that runs Linux. Because I got what I wanted. The issue here is, many of the ratings of 1080p TV's are not that great according to Rtings.com. I think because most companies are not really investing much in to them any more. I frankly dont know if Ill notice a big difference between my 720p screen and a 1080. Its almost to the point that maybe I should  just stick with what I have, until it dies. Because in my eyes HD is kinda dead. UHD is what you should invest in. BUT like I said, most of the time Im watching OTA content, thats 90% what I do on my TV currently. I just dont want to buy a 4K screen for my content to be unwatchable. Maybe its wise to wait and see what Microsoft does with the new Xbox, if its the cats meow maybe Ill upgrade to a 4K TV. Just have to watch my DVD content on my PC. 

like i said when it comes to dvd content it depends on when it was made. example star trek the next generation or ds9 look bad on a 4k lol or a movie from the early 80s or 70s..unless its been remastered and even then it depends on when it was remastered lol

you can also be like me..upgrade everything to higher quality :)

3 minutes ago, circeseye said:

you can also be like me..upgrade everything to higher quality :)

Unless Im pirating the content, I cant afford to replace over $100 movies. Not sure if all of them are even offered above DVD quality. 

On 9/2/2019 at 3:24 AM, Donut417 said:

So a 2.1 Vizio soundbar shoud work then?

I would grab a pair of powered monitors/bookshelfs instead of a soundbar, Edifier and Klipsch make some pretty damn good ones for cheap.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

I would grab a pair of powered monitors/bookshelfs instead of a soundbar, Edifier and Klipsch make some pretty damn good ones for cheap.

How do they connect to the TV? My current TV has limited hookups. Plus I want to be able to control them with a remote. 

cant speak on most of it since im no expert myself and spent way more on my setup but as i saw youre trying to do all of it on the cheap i thought id throw this in here:

logitech z906 is an amazing 5.1 setup that can be picked used for 100 bucks here. a friend has it and for that kind of cash i can only recommend them. 

although if youre a bit clever about it maybe you could get some better even.

i picked up my own setup not to long ago and am really impressed by what i got for the price

sony x900e 55" - 4 month old for half price (600€) because the dude had money and didnt have the original box plus i visited my cousin 400km away to pick it up there but still 600 aint bad for 1200€ value

Yamaha RX-V381 Receiver - got all the standards and hdr passtrough and stuff. picked that up for around 200€ "used"

Teufel Consono 35 5.1 Speaker set - also used, also 200 bucks and maybe more of a german thing i dont know how well known they are in other places but they are pretty top of line around here.

all together 1000€ 

but thats just me and a general idea of what could be done with a bit of research and bargening

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

How do they connect to the TV? My current TV has limited hookups. Plus I want to be able to control them with a remote. 

The klipsch has an optical in, which the majority of TV's have. Most edifier's have optical aswell. Also look at these if you want a remote: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1850DB-Bookshelf-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B073W1R4XQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=edifier+r1850&qid=1567704273&s=gateway&smid=A23AS8PFN4IRUQ&sr=8-1

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

The klipsch has an optical in, which the majority of TV's have. Most edifier's have optical aswell. Also look at these if you want a remote: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1850DB-Bookshelf-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B073W1R4XQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=edifier+r1850&qid=1567704273&s=gateway&smid=A23AS8PFN4IRUQ&sr=8-1

Cool to know. Not a big fan of the price. But it is what it is. The only challenge is fitting something like this in to my setup. The table my TV sits on only has room for the TV. Right of the TV is empty space and left of the TV is where my Hdhome run, Nintendo Switch and power are sitting on top of the cabinet that houses the undies.