Anyone ever tried converting regular bike to e-bike? Please Help

Hello people

At the time of curiousity i was interested into bicycles, then found out that normal bikes can be an e-bike. And now im having a real case scenario that i could benefit from e-bikes.

I have a bike that i rarely use and i want it converted to an e-bike. first of all its for going to school. so i need take or give 60km/h because its a 6km trip. other than that i haven't decided to make the e-bike kit my self or buy the built ones.

So i need help to make an e-bike kit myself, i have a difficulty understanding the concept? So what parts do i need and i want experience from you who have done it or fiddle around with it

Thanks

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Uh, it's not as simple as plugging some things in and having it work...

It's going to cost hundreds of dollars, months of planning and design, fabrication tools and experience, and that's assuming you already have some engineering experience in both mechanical and electrical.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if you dont know what you are doing, buy a kit. dont fully diy it.   and even then it wont be super easy.  also if you dont have a high quality road bike, i wouldnt do it at all.

they arent designed for mountain bikes, and cheap road bikes wont handle the speed safely.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Don't do it. The frame isn't build for these forces and might crack.

Thanks for the quick reply

So its a MTB with Alumunium 6061 (forgot how "inch" big it is)

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Uh, it's not as simple as plugging some things in and having it work...

It's going to cost hundreds of dollars, months of planning and design, fabrication tools and experience, and that's assuming you already have some engineering experience in both mechanical and electrical.

Im ok with how much it is going to cost and what about those ebike kits? are they a quick solution to this?

DSC_0047.JPG

downloadfile-2.bin

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

if you dont know what you are doing, buy a kit. dont fully diy it.   and even then it wont be super easy.  also if you dont have a high quality road bike, i wouldnt do it at all.

they arent designed for mountain bikes, and cheap road bikes wont handle the speed safely.

So what if i use the slower kits? like the ones claimed at 35km/h?

also theres a local brand here (i say reputable) at indonesia thats selling a 350W kit claiming 40km/h for $250 USD do you think that the bike i posted will handle it?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

also theres a local brand here (i say reputable) at indonesia thats selling a 350W kit claiming 40km/h for $250 USD do you think that the bike i posted will handle it?

The frame welds look decent compared to my MTB, it should handle it. I regularly hit 40KM/H on my road bike aswell.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, SenKa said:

this is it chief, probably gunna import it hehe

i mean i could find a better bike than what i have now and making that as a hobby to work on, or just swap a better frame and wheels

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

im not familiar with that bike, but its not just about the speed.  its not about the torque that the motor puts on the hub.

low quality components will get destroyed by putting a motor on it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The frame welds look decent compared to my MTB, it should handle it. I regularly hit 40KM/H on my road bike aswell.

Ah nice, im guessing that is DIY ebike kit? also how much battery life did you get with your usage?

7 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

im not familiar with that bike, but its not just about the speed.  its not about the torque that the motor puts on the hub.

low quality components will get destroyed by putting a motor on it.

just found out my local brand sells this $350 kit consists of the battery too (22.2v 6Ah, Chinese Grade "A")

So, on paper will you recommend this? up to 45km of mileage (mhm dependant on bike spec)

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

this is it chief, probably gunna import it hehe

i mean i could find a better bike than what i have now and making that as a hobby to work on, or just swap a better frame and wheels

It would honestly be much easier to strap on a little 1cyl 2 stroke motor with ~$80 worth of hardware off Ebay. Another option to keep in mind.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

9 hours ago, James Evens said:

Not good. If battery's are cheap and you are fine with swapping it during the rides it is fine. For daily 12 km it will work.

is it not good at long term use? if it has short lifespans i could look up for the battery replacements. I havent found the ones from the kit maker yet soo.. custom way to do it?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

12 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Ah nice, im guessing that is DIY ebike kit? also how much battery life did you get with your usage?

Ah well, They're both normal bikes, just saying that i would be very surprised if the welds wouldnt hold up to 40km/h (MTB is a Calibre bossnut evo, Road bike is a Specialized tarmac disc expert)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I converted a pretty decent mountain bike ( to electric last year but was a bigger pain in the ass than I had expected it to be. I got one of those 1000W kits from Amazon and got lucky with the batteries because hobbyking was having a sale (3 x 4s 16AH for a total of around 700wH for $150 USD). It was front wheel drive, because I figured it would be easier to deal with than the rear sprocket etc, but the front dropouts on the fork ended up breaking off, because it was some brittle aluminum alloy and was not designed for that much torque in the front. I ended up having to get a cheap chinese steel fork but the mounting holes for the front disk brakes were slightly off, coupled with the motor being too wide, so I had to replace the front brake caliper, and even then it didn't ever line up properly. I designed a 3d printed enclosure for the batteries, and that was the only part of the bike that went well. I built it because I wanted to use it to get around my large and hilly college campus, but it ended up being so big, heavy, and cumbersome that I only used it maybe 15 times in a year and ended up walking/taking the bus.

wow, thats a lot of bees!

15 hours ago, James Evens said:

132WH isn't much energy.and the range they advertis is often ideal condition: depending on how you use it half the range could be realistic. Like I sad if you just want the bike for 12 km per day it should be fine. If you want to use it for different things the range will annoy you.

For reference other ebikes have 600 WH and get around 100 km under realistic conditions. "(ok this is so efficient, wauw)"

Oh by "not good" you meant is the mileage you get when its configurable at 800W? And charging it would be frequent? ok i get the point ?

but do you think it will last a year or more before i search out for a battery replacement?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :