FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

After deleting the config files the fans have appeared! :D

Great news! Keep me posted on how it goes from here.

Is there support for Ryzen boards and AMD video cards in this? I'd love to give it a go on my X470/RX580 system I've just built. Is there a supported hardware list available?

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is there support for Ryzen boards and AMD video cards in this? I'd love to give it a go on my X470/RX580 system I've just built. Is there a supported hardware list available?

It seems to be working on my X570 board.  Download the original Libre monitoring software and if it detects your fans then this will work since it's based on that.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

What software license are you using? Is this a LibreHardwareMonitor fork?

3 hours ago, Rem0o said:

8 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Just got home and from initial testing it seems to work great!  Only one thing, it detects my AIO pump RPM but enabling it and selecting any sort of curve I create just drops the pump to 0 RPM every time, not sure why.  Also trying to understand what you mean by Min and Max temps in the curve settings.  Was hoping to plot it in a graph but that might be asking too much xD

5 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Just got home and from initial testing it seems to work great!  Only one thing, it detects my AIO pump RPM but enabling it and selecting any sort of curve I create just drops the pump to 0 RPM every time, not sure why.  Also trying to understand what you mean by Min and Max temps in the curve settings.  Was hoping to plot it in a graph but that might be asking too much xD

It's a linear curve with cut-off points. So, at "Max temp" and over, fan will go at the "max fan speed". At "Min temp" and under, fan will go at "min fan speed". In between is a linear equation. As for the pump control, I will have to look into it, I don't have a water cooler in my setup so I never tested it. However I do have a CPU_PUMP header, so I will test it out later.

10 hours ago, imaami said:

What software license are you using? Is this a LibreHardwareMonitor fork?

It builds on top of LibreHardwareMonitor, I'm just using one of its dll.

11 hours ago, Rem0o said:

It's a linear curve with cut-off points. So, at "Max temp" and over, fan will go at the "max fan speed". At "Min temp" and under, fan will go at "min fan speed". In between is a linear equation. As for the pump control, I will have to look into it, I don't have a water cooler in my setup so I never tested it. However I do have a CPU_PUMP header, so I will test it out later.

Got it thanks.  Will test it out more, but unsure if it's working cos the BIOS has a built in SpeedFan that operates if you don't do anything in Windows to change it with Gigabyte's own SIV fan curve software (which is really bad).

I've downloaded it but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but I've only messed with it for about 5 minutes and probably need to exit the Asus software for it to be able to do anything. I just want to control one case fan to GPU temps, is that so much to ask these days? Yes, it seems to be asking a lot these days lol.

I tried this its really good but on my X570 I aorus pro wifi board which have IT8688E all curves are reversed my fans go full speed when you apply 0% and they go idle speed when i apply 100%. Its same in libre hardware.

New features

Version is up on the main post.

Hysteresis + new more compact card layout
image.png.853f47321fa778f62e99f39f2883701c.png

Configurable dynamic temperature tray icon

( the 2 screenshots were not taken at the same time ? )

image.png.53e7ac7c88a7653a2fbccecb9f34e189.png

image.png.a89d5927b8201aebc1db081ec083f424.png

16 hours ago, Danitsa said:

I tried this its really good but on my X570 I aorus pro wifi board which have IT8688E all curves are reversed my fans go full speed when you apply 0% and they go idle speed when i apply 100%. Its same in libre hardware.

I'm on the ATX version of the board and I don't have this problem.

3 hours ago, Rem0o said:

New features

Hysteresis + new more compact card layout
image.png.853f47321fa778f62e99f39f2883701c.png

Configurable dynamic temperature tray icon

( the 2 screenshots were not taken at the same time ? )

image.png.53e7ac7c88a7653a2fbccecb9f34e189.png

image.png.a89d5927b8201aebc1db081ec083f424.png

Nice! Will test the new version when I get back in....5 hours T.T

New features + bugfix

• Hystereris was not saved / applied properly
  • Added responsive time (seconds) on linear curve ( thanks @Lupo for the idea) 

image.png.5848e8b3e135423cfbcb4d2c6fabe707.png

Responsive time is basically for how much time the temperature must trigger the hysteresis for the command to change. So if you get a temperature spike for 1 second and your responsive time is 2 seconds, your fans won't change speed!

@Rem0o, I just noticed that you are using shortened link. Please use either full link or add link to text instead. We don't allow non-approved shortened links.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for the updates, it's coming along nicely!

What is the impact of having the temperature displayed as the tray icon? If possible an option to turn it back to static if not used would be appreciated!

I remember having a weird issue with speedfan, where having any temperature shown in tray would prevent my cpu from entering full idle state.

Testing the responsive time setting now, everything seems to be working great!

Would it be possible to save and load different settings? a bit like "presets" that you could quickly switch through, in example for silent / performance / blast all fans..

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Lupo said:

Thanks for the updates, it's coming along nicely!

What is the impact of having the temperature displayed as the tray icon? If possible an option to turn it back to static if not used would be appreciated!

I remember having a weird issue with speedfan, where having any temperature shown in tray would prevent my cpu from entering full idle state.

Testing the responsive time setting now, everything seems to be working great!

Would it be possible to save and load different settings? a bit like "presets" that you could quickly switch through, in example for silent / performance / blast all fans..

Thanks again!

Tray icon:
 I made sure the performance impact was minimal. The icons are cached and so each time the temperature change, it's a simple reference swap. However, an option to turn it off is no effort, so I will add that later on.

Presets:

I already thought about presets, but since my usage is more about setting up proper curves and having a "hands off" experience afterwards, I didn't think it was worth it. My actual setup is silent on Idle, and moderately silent on full load.

Update

The tray icon temperature can now be deactivated in the left hamburger menu.

image.png.7f68d172fabb5923ee2e730807b5fb9c.png

Nice!  I haven't gotten to play with it yet since the update before last but will try it out tonight.  Did you ever manage to get the pump working? :D

15 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Nice!  I haven't gotten to play with it yet since the update before last but will try it out tonight.  Did you ever manage to get the pump working? :D

I tried plugging a fan into the pump header, but it seems like my header is also either on or off, there is no control possible like every other header. I'm thinking this is limited by the motherboard. 

7 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

I tried plugging a fan into the pump header, but it seems like my header is also either on or off, there is no control possible like every other header. I'm thinking this is limited by the motherboard. 

I guess in the event of your software not controlling the pump, it reverts to whatever it was running at?  My BIOS has a fan curve setting but it's terrible, I'm assuming that any fan that isn't controlled by OFC will run at BIOS settings instead?

9 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I guess in the event of your software not controlling the pump, it reverts to whatever it was running at?  My BIOS has a fan curve setting but it's terrible, I'm assuming that any fan that isn't controlled by OFC will run at BIOS settings instead?

Yes.

As soon you exit or turn a control "off", everything is reverted back to what it was before opening the software.

1 minute ago, Rem0o said:

Yes.

As soon you exit or turn a control "off", everything is reverted back to what it was before opening the software.

Last I tried there was no "Launch with Windows" option, is that planned?  I have no problems running the software every boot, I do that to a lot of random stuff I use daily too anyway :P

19 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Last I tried there was no "Launch with Windows" option, is that planned?  I have no problems running the software every boot, I do that to a lot of random stuff I use daily too anyway :P

Not really, as I would need an installer to have a fixed location for the program on any computer. I would also have to manage a registry key (sigh). 

WARNING: If you never played with registry key, don't mess with them
You can add it manually here at this path:  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Simply set the path of the exe.

Easier solution: You can also add a task at startup in the task scheduler.

1 hour ago, Rem0o said:

Not really, as I would need an installer to have a fixed location for the program on any computer. I would also have to manage a registry key (sigh). 

You can add it manually here at this path:  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Simply set the path of the exe.

You can also add a task at startup in the task scheduler.

Does Windows no longer have the 'startup' folder where you can just put things you want to run at startup?

I'm not sure what happened but it no longer properly controls my fans.  I created a flat 100% curve to test which fans were which.  I used Gigabyte's SIV to compare RPM numbers to know which was what without having to physically look/hear my PC.  When I assign the curve to my radiator fans, the % jumps to 100% but quickly goes back down to whatever it was (around 50%) but the RPM numbers never change.  I've double checked this with HWInfo and no fan RPMs change when I assign a curve to it.  Pretty sure it used to work before, but I could have been wrong.  This seems like the BIOS settings strongarming your application of the curve?  I close SIV before using your software just to make sure there's no conflicts.

Tried running as admin, deleting config file, applying the curve to other fans too.