120MM Radiator Pull (Noctua NF-F12 VS Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM)

Ichi-Zero

Hi everyone~

Just wondering on your thoughts which fan would be better for a single 120MM Rad (pull config - rear exhaust):

Noctua NF-F12 VS Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM - Which would be better for my setup?

I agree with Linus that the benefit of losing 1-2C cooling performance for much easier maintenance (dust removal).

Currently running a Q300L Case / GTX 1060 6GB / Ryzen 3700x / 16GB on a B450M Steel Legend Board.

The case is placed flat in a Sony Receiver Stand - This is intended to be a silent stealth build. Hence the foam around the unit; I also removed the magnetic from dust filter/mesh.

With the top cover and front glass door closed (and all LEDs disabled; yes blasphemy), You would never know there's a PC in there.

I've removed a portion of the board on the back of the receiver stand for airflow.

I have:

[x2] NF-A14 PWM @ 65% fixed - front intake

[x1] NF-F12 Pull on my 120M Rosewill Radiator: 80% fixed for temps under 45C / 90% for 45C & above.

Corsiar R650X PSU (pull - though the fan never turns on when you're looking so....)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20190831_010822.jpg

Those are some pretty high fan speeds. Are you sure that it's quieter than just leaving the case out in the open with lower fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those are some pretty high fan speeds. Are you sure that it's quieter than just leaving the case out in the open with lower fan speeds?

I just lowered the front to 50% and radiator to 60% and getting the same temps ?

Would the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM be better for acoustics/airflow at the same RPW vs the  Noctua NF-F12 ?

2 minutes ago, Ichi-Zero said:

Would the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM be better for acoustics/airflow at the same RPW vs the  Noctua NF-F12 ?

It'd probably be quieter. The NF-F12 isn't great acoustically in the context of Noctua fans although I'm not sure if it would make much difference if you're running at low enough rpm since either can still be quieter than the pump. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It'd probably be quieter. The NF-F12 isn't great acoustically in the context of Noctua fans although I'm not sure if it would make much difference if you're running at low enough rpm since either can still be quieter than the pump. 

Just lowered the front intakes to 40% still getting same temps in stress testing...  wow...  now the rig is near silent...

Quick edit: I keep THINKING 3700x is a 95W TDP chip...

I hope someone will do a radiator pull config comparison at some point. Really curious on the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM performance.

10 minutes ago, Ichi-Zero said:

I hope someone will do a radiator pull config comparison at some point. Really curious on the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM performance.

There are many, many reviews on the NF-A12x25 and there are few that indicate anything other than it being the best 120mm fan available. 

Some examples here: 

I don't think it's worth replacing the fan if it's already quiet enough though. The NF-F12 is great for rads as you can already see. 

On 8/30/2019 at 11:15 PM, Ichi-Zero said:

Hi everyone~

Just wondering on your thoughts which fan would be better for a single 120MM Rad (pull config - rear exhaust):

Noctua NF-F12 VS Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM - Which would be better for my setup?

I agree with Linus that the benefit of losing 1-2C cooling performance for much easier maintenance (dust removal).

Currently running a Q300L Case / GTX 1060 6GB / Ryzen 3700x / 16GB on a B450M Steel Legend Board.

The case is placed flat in a Sony Receiver Stand - This is intended to be a silent stealth build. Hence the foam around the unit; I also removed the magnetic from dust filter/mesh.

With the top cover and front glass door closed (and all LEDs disabled; yes blasphemy), You would never know there's a PC in there.

I've removed a portion of the board on the back of the receiver stand for airflow.

I have:

[x2] NF-A14 PWM @ 65% fixed - front intake

[x1] NF-F12 Pull on my 120M Rosewill Radiator: 80% fixed for temps under 45C / 90% for 45C & above.

Corsiar R650X PSU (pull - though the fan never turns on when you're looking so....)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20190831_010822.jpg

From my experience id say go with an EK Vardar fan for the best of performance. Those fans work magic on radiators and they run very quiet. Other options could be something like be quiet silent wings (very quiet), or Noctua specific i think off the top of my head an A series fan.

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse