Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boltoflightning

Is it ok to switch off PSU at shutdown?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So since I rebuilt my system, my only problem has been that at shutdown, the motherboard RGB stays on. This isn't a huge deal, but sometimes the keyboard will come on and the mouse will too. I understand this is residual power, but I don't want this to occur. To counter the problem, I have simply flipped the switch on the back of the PSU to fully shutdown the whole system. Will this have any negative effects on the system? If not, I can continue to do this unless there is a way to stop the PSU from giving power to the system after shutdown. Perhaps there is a setting in the BIOS? Anyways, all help is welcome.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What motherboard?

Killing the power after shutdown will not cause any issues


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe long term, it'll kill the board if the PSU inrush suppression is not good enough.

 

Short term? No issue.


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

AMD FX-8120 | Asus M5A97 | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | ASUS DirectCUII HD 7970 3G | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M | Hyper 212 Black RGB Edition

 

Daily Driver Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick (Not often used anymore, only for travelling)


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
39 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Maybe long term, it'll kill the board if the PSU inrush suppression is not good enough.

 

Short term? No issue.

What does that mean? The PSU is high quality and the mobo is fairly high quality too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

I understand this is residual power,

No, this is just a setting whether you allow a device to receive power after shutdown or not.

 

In Windows, you can go into Device Manager > Mouse/Keyboard > Energy Management tab > "Allow this device to wake up the PC" and similar settings.

 

Motherboard lights and case lights can be turned on or off in BIOS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

No, this is just a setting whether you allow a device to receive power after shutdown or not.

 

In Windows, you can go into Device Manager > Mouse/Keyboard > Energy Management tab > "Allow this device to wake up the PC" and similar settings.

 

Motherboard lights and case lights can be turned on or off in BIOS.

It doesn't wake the PC. It's shutdown, it's just the lights that stay on. If a key is pressed, the keyboard will come on. Same with the mouse. I don't know how to stop this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

What does that mean? The PSU is high quality and the mobo is fairly high quality too.

Just FYI expensive ≠ high quality

 

Unless you flip the switch while the computer is still on you won't damage it. 


I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Just FYI expensive ≠ high quality

 

Unless you flip the switch while the computer is still on you won't damage it. 

I know expensive doesn't mean high quality, but I promise you my components are high quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

It doesn't wake the PC. It's shutdown, it's just the lights that stay on. If a key is pressed, the keyboard will come on. Same with the mouse. I don't know how to stop this.

You should be able to disable the lights while the PC is in standby via a BIOS setting.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×