Crucial MX500 500GB vs Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

you're fine either way, and i doubt you will notice any real difference in speed. if it's just word and a few pictures it won't exeed a few mb for the files. the plus side of ssds is they are silent.

Idk what my current HDD's conenctin is (whether is sata 2 or 3) but it's opening pictures and some files a little slow- files for like 5-10 seconds nad pictures 20+ seconds. How fast do "newer" HDDs open pictures and documents, how many seconds does it take?

@GoldenLag Do you happen to know what's Crucial P1's  "copy/paste speed" or "transfer rates" - i don't remember the exact term. What Linus did in the video when he copied a 250GB steam folder. After some time the speed just falls and it becomes slower than a HDD when the SLC caching is filled. I remember in some review it was mentioned that after 80GB copied/pasted the speed drops down - I'm sorry if i got something wrong.

Why question is, how much does it take for the Crucial P1 to have it's speed fall?

1 hour ago, goshot said:

Why question is, how much does it take for the Crucial P1 to have it's speed fall?

I believe the SLC cache is around 80GB.

Which for most purposes is allready big enough. 

4 hours ago, goshot said:

Idk what my current HDD's conenctin is (whether is sata 2 or 3) but it's opening pictures and some files a little slow- files for like 5-10 seconds nad pictures 20+ seconds. How fast do "newer" HDDs open pictures and documents, how many seconds does it take?

how old is it?
i just tested it, opening a 90 MPx panorama did take a split second longer than opening it from my ssd, but nothing really severe. Not that i could really measure it, definitely under 1s.
But do note, i have 7200rpm drives.
you could run a speed test on the hdd with crystal disk mark and compare it to mine: (it was tbh faster when i got it (closer to 180 read/160 write, but it's running for more than 4 years now with no reformat or such thing, and things get slower over time)

image.png.4c3e4cd172634d73fcba57b1766ca18e.png

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

6 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

how old is it?
i just tested it, opening a 90 MPx panorama did take a split second longer than opening it from my ssd, but nothing really severe. Not that i could really measure it, definitely under 1s.
But do note, i have 7200rpm drives.
you could run a speed test on the hdd with crystal disk mark and compare it to mine: (it was tbh faster when i got it (closer to 180 read/160 write, but it's running for more than 4 years now with no reformat or such thing, and things get slower over time)

image.png.4c3e4cd172634d73fcba57b1766ca18e.png

Might check the HDD tomorrow, but my PC has like 10 year old components, like pentium dual core e2200, ddr2 ram. So i'd guess my HDD isn't the best, but not the worst either, it's still working and it's rather silent! Gonna update later on its exact specs. I don't think imma run Crstal Disk.

19 minutes ago, goshot said:

Might check the HDD tomorrow, but my PC has like 10 year old components, like pentium dual core e2200, ddr2 ram. So i'd guess my HDD isn't the best, but not the worst either, it's still working and it's rather silent! Gonna update later on its exact specs. I don't think imma run Crstal Disk.

Well... Especially then you won't notice any difference between the ssds, and probably even between the ssd and the hdd.... A new hdd might bump the speeds up nicely for quite little money, if you want to use the drive longer, get the ssd.

Is your os on a hdd or ssd? If on a hdd, definitely get the ssd, it will help a lot, but it doesnt matter which one

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

22 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Well... Especially then you won't notice any difference between the ssds, and probably even between the ssd and the hdd.... A new hdd might bump the speeds up nicely for quite little money, if you want to use the drive longer, get the ssd.

Is your os on a hdd or ssd? If on a hdd, definitely get the ssd, it will help a lot, but it doesnt matter which one

Im getting the SSD for a new build entirely, not for my old one. I might consider getting some kind of SSD for my old rig, because it has a special palce in my heart and i don't wanna see it be completely useless.

And if you're wondering, yeah i'll using that SSD for the OS and pretty much everything. Not planning on getting a HDD, just a SSD for everything. You mentioned a HDD is fine for files and pictures, what would you say a SSD should mostly be used for, except OS? Games? Programs like photoshop, Adobe premier, video editing?

What did you mean by " if you want to use the drive longer, get the ssd." Did you mean if i wanted my old HDD to last even longer i can get a SSD for it?

Thanks for the insights!

1 hour ago, goshot said:

Im getting the SSD for a new build entirely, not for my old one. I might consider getting some kind of SSD for my old rig, because it has a special palce in my heart and i don't wanna see it be completely useless.

And if you're wondering, yeah i'll using that SSD for the OS and pretty much everything. Not planning on getting a HDD, just a SSD for everything. You mentioned a HDD is fine for files and pictures, what would you say a SSD should mostly be used for, except OS? Games? Programs like photoshop, Adobe premier, video editing?

What did you mean by " if you want to use the drive longer, get the ssd." Did you mean if i wanted my old HDD to last even longer i can get a SSD for it?

Thanks for the insights!

I mean, games are usually fine on hdds, most programs also don't benefit from ssds. as I don't have a massive collection of programs, but a relatively large ssds everything is on the ssd, but if in doubt just test it and if necessary/beneficial move it.

With the longer use i meant that if you replace that old machine, you would really notice the benefits of the ssd, i doubt that the rest of the system would be fast enough to really see the speed difference. The lifespan of hdds does not suddenly increase with a ssd installed

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

5 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I mean, games are usually fine on hdds, most programs also don't benefit from ssds. as I don't have a massive collection of programs, but a relatively large ssds everything is on the ssd, but if in doubt just test it and if necessary/beneficial move it.

I've heard that opening programs with lots and lots of small files like Photoshop or something else is way faster with an SSD. I've also seen benchmarks where SSD open up games faster and decrease load screen times a bit.

If there isn't much use for a SSD for me, other than to keep the OS on it, would you suggest i just get a HDD instead for everything? A 1TB HDD is almost half the price of the SSD's i'm looking at. I honestly don't think i need 1TB of storage, i'm fine with 500GB but 500GB HDDs cost almost the same as 1TB...

I didn't understand the " but a relatively large ssds everything is on the ssd, but if in doubt just test it and if necessary/beneficial move it." part. Sorry for asking you again!

10 minutes ago, goshot said:

I've heard that opening programs with lots and lots of small files like Photoshop or something else is way faster with an SSD. I've also seen benchmarks where SSD open up games faster and decrease load screen times a bit.

If there isn't much use for a SSD for me, other than to keep the OS on it, would you suggest i just get a HDD instead for everything? A 1TB HDD is almost half the price of the SSD's i'm looking at. I honestly don't think i need 1TB of storage, i'm fine with 500GB but 500GB HDDs cost almost the same as 1TB...

I didn't understand the " but a relatively large ssds everything is on the ssd, but if in doubt just test it and if necessary/beneficial move it." part. Sorry for asking you again!

I meant that I have a relatively large ssd myself, and i can install everything on the ssd. Should you run out of space with your particular ssd, test the different programs installed on the ssd and the hdd, and if you don't see a difference move it to the hdd. Especially large games tend to load quicker, that's true.

I can't decide for you, if you should buy an ssd for storage only over a hdd. There are benefits and drawbacks to both of them, and you have to decide and pay for it. I personally prefer really silent systems and money isn't tight as sh... for me, so I'd probably get the ssd in that situation. If you're real tight on money, get the hdd, it will get the job done. But that all depends on your willingness to spend money on pc parts and where your priorities are.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

15 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I meant that I have a relatively large ssd myself, and i can install everything on the ssd. Should you run out of space with your particular ssd, test the different programs installed on the ssd and the hdd, and if you don't see a difference move it to the hdd. Especially large games tend to load quicker, that's true.

I can't decide for you, if you should buy an ssd for storage only over a hdd. There are benefits and drawbacks to both of them, and you have to decide and pay for it. I personally prefer really silent systems and money isn't tight as sh... for me, so I'd probably get the ssd in that situation. If you're real tight on money, get the hdd, it will get the job done. But that all depends on your willingness to spend money on pc parts and where your priorities are.

Thanks for the clarification! I can afford the SSD and i value silence a lot, so i'll roll with that.

9 hours ago, goshot said:

Adata XPG SX6000 Pro

based on the one test I just read, I'd go rather with that than with the other. Never heard of the first one and didn't even find that ssd, and never used adata ssds, but what i've heard they do the job.
personally just worked with crucial and samsung ssds and all of them worked fine (bx, mx series, and the 840/850 series), and the crucial ssds were most of the time the best bang for the buck at the time of purchase.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

based on the one test I just read, I'd go rather with that than with the other. Never heard of the first one and didn't even find that ssd, and never used adata ssds, but what i've heard they do the job.
personally just worked with crucial and samsung ssds and all of them worked fine (bx, mx series, and the 840/850 series), and the crucial ssds were most of the time the best bang for the buck at the time of purchase.

My bad! I ment to say the MX500, as in Crucial MX500, got confused with the Corsair PSU CX550.

So which do you trhink is better - Crucial MX500 or Adata XPG SX6000 Pro. They're almost the same price, the adata one is NVMe, while the MX500 is Sata SSD

9 hours ago, goshot said:

My bad! I ment to say the MX500, as in Crucial MX500, got confused with the Corsair PSU CX550.

So which do you trhink is better - Crucial MX500 or Adata XPG SX6000 Pro. They're almost the same price, the adata one is NVMe, while the MX500 is Sata SSD

depends what the rest of the system is... but personally I'd probably go with the MX500 because I know what crucial delivers... I'd have to read many reviews for the adata to get an idea what this thing is and what to think of adata ssds.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

14 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

depends what the rest of the system is... but personally I'd probably go with the MX500 because I know what crucial delivers... I'd have to read many reviews for the adata to get an idea what this thing is and what to think of adata ssds.

I mean, if the adata one happens to be better than the crucial one, why not get it? It's NVMe too, not the fastest one but still NVMe. Isn't it worth reading some reviews for that?
You lowkey reminded me to check the reviews on it, i've been researching so many stuff the past few days i totally forgot about this. Thanks!

@GoldenLag Have you had experience with the Adata XPG SX6000 Pro? in Aegis' tierlist https://imgur.com/a/sYmbnMr it's ranked lower, even though it's budget, i wanted to ask is it really a good enough SSD for consumers? The crucial MX500 is ranked high in the SATA SSD's so i don't know how well they compare to each other.

20 minutes ago, goshot said:

I mean, if the adata one happens to be better than the crucial one, why not get it? It's NVMe too, not the fastest one but still NVMe. Isn't it worth reading some reviews for that?

SX6000 Pro for consumers is indeed better than the MX500. As is the 660p.

20 minutes ago, goshot said:

@GoldenLag Have you had experience with the Adata XPG SX6000 Pro? in Aegis' tierlist https://imgur.com/a/sYmbnMr it's ranked lowe

He accidentally switched tiers 4 and 5. The sx6000 pro/ex900/mushkin helix-L etc. are better than the 660p/P1. 

Another one that's not really that relevant to this discussion but i'll add now anyway are that the Phison E12 based drives (sabrent rocket, inland premium, corsair mp510, mushkin pilot, silicon power A80 etc.) should be in tier 2. 

58 minutes ago, goshot said:

You lowkey reminded me to check the reviews on it, i've been researching so many stuff the past few days i totally forgot about this. Thanks!

@GoldenLag Have you had experience with the Adata XPG SX6000 Pro? in Aegis' tierlist https://imgur.com/a/sYmbnMr it's ranked lower, even though it's budget, i wanted to ask is it really a good enough SSD for consumers? The crucial MX500 is ranked high in the SATA SSD's so i don't know how well they compare to each other.

Don't have the time to read reviews for an ssd  i won't buy. And my currend system doesn't support nvme so out of my expertise and i'm happy with sata performance, i don't need more read/writes for what i do...

Hopefully i gave you some useful info anyways. :)

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

SX6000 Pro for consumers is indeed better than the MX500. As is the 660p.

Almost everyone's suggesting me the SX6000 Pro one. Looks like imma get that one.

Just a little question: I'll most likely only have 1 M.2 slot on my mobo, is there another way to put a M.2 slot in my mobo - like through the PCIe slot? And how does that work exactly - won't it take away some of the PCIe lanes and conflict with my GPU?

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

He accidentally switched tiers 4 and 5. The sx6000 pro/ex900/mushkin helix-L etc. are better than the 660p/P1. 

Another one that's not really that relevant to this discussion but i'll add now anyway are that the Phison E12 based drives (sabrent rocket, inland premium, corsair mp510, mushkin pilot, silicon power A80 etc.) should be in tier 2. 

Are you sure he swapped them by accident? I mean, i've heard that the SX6000 Pro is indeed better than the 660p, but i'd just like ann actual confirmation that he really did do that.
What's Phison E 12? Btw we don't have the sabrant rocket here.

38 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Don't have the time to read reviews for an ssd  i won't buy. And my currend system doesn't support nvme so out of my expertise and i'm happy with sata performance, i don't need more read/writes for what i do...

Hopefully i gave you some useful info anyways. :)

Don't worry, you helped a lot :D

1 minute ago, goshot said:

Just a little question: I'll most likely only have 1 M.2 slot on my mobo, is there another way to put a M.2 slot in my mobo - like through the PCIe slot? And how does that work exactly - won't it take away some of the PCIe lanes and conflict with my GPU?

No there isn't. And usually the PCIe lanes that an NVMe drive takes up won't conflict with the GPU because the PCIe lanes dedicated to NVMe are completely separate and do not interfere with the GPU PCIe lanes. 

2 minutes ago, goshot said:

Are you sure he swapped them by accident? I mean, i've heard that the SX6000 Pro is indeed better than the 660p, but i'd just like ann actual confirmation that he really did do that.
What's Phison E 12? Btw we don't have the sabrant rocket here.

Use links below to save image.

Phison E12 is a controller. 

19 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

No there isn't. And usually the PCIe lanes that an NVMe drive takes up won't conflict with the GPU because the PCIe lanes dedicated to NVMe are completely separate and do not interfere with the GPU PCIe lanes. 

Use links below to save image.

Phison E12 is a controller. 

Thank you very much! Both for the answer to the question and the confirmation!

So if i've bought a NVMe SSD, the next step to getting another SSD would be a Sata SSD, right?
Also can you do me a favor and ask Aegis whether the 512 GB SX6000 Pro is better than 512GB MX500? It will give me peace of mind, i'll be very grateful.

4 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

SX6000 pro>mx500 according to him. 

Sorry if im annoying, but can i get a screenshot? ><

1 minute ago, goshot said:

Sorry if im annoying, but can i get a screenshot? ><

He thinks that 660p>MX500. He also thinks that SX6000 Pro>660p. You can follow the logic from there.