Crucial MX500 500GB vs Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

860 Evo uses TLC. Samsung names everything MLC. it uses 3  bit MLC which is TLC. DLC AKA 2 bit MLC is only on their pro drives iirc. 

And i got my hopes up thinking i'd be getting an MLC drive, oh well.

you might be able to get a Sabrent rocket or similar for more or less the same. 

First time i'm hearing about Sabrant. I can't find them anywhere in our stores. But can you sill link me to a review to their 500GB variant? Also what the heck is NVMe 4.0?

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

just to tune in in all the technicalities...

if you just want to to this:

literally any brand ssd is fine, even a sata one.

That said, regarding the magician or not, sth like crystal disk info and crystal disk mark will give you the exact same information, I didn't use it once after a first try ...

as the mx500 is cheaper, I'd get that for that purpose.

But don't you agree that if i get DRAM-less SSD it will be worse overall?

I don't think i'll notice the difference in speeds, at least for the things i'm doing, right? So even though the Evo is faster it might not matter that much for me, right? Thanks for your opinions!

2 minutes ago, goshot said:

Also what the heck is NVMe 4.0?

NVMe used PCIe as the interface. most drives on the market uses PCIe 3.0 while some newer drives use PCIe 4.0. this allows them to theoretically have twice the speed. tho you will need a CPU and board capable to do PCIe 4.0. which is currently Ryzen 3000 and x570. speed increase isnt all that usefull for regular use. 

4 minutes ago, goshot said:

First time i'm hearing about Sabrant. I can't find them anywhere in our stores. But can you sill link me to a review to their 500GB variant?

its the same drive that Corsair brands as Mp 510. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-force-mp510-ssd,5848.html

this would be the drive. 

you got a site we can look around on?

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

NVMe used PCIe as the interface. most drives on the market uses PCIe 3.0 while some newer drives use PCIe 4.0. this allows them to theoretically have twice the speed. tho you will need a CPU and board capable to do PCIe 4.0. which is currently Ryzen 3000 and x570. speed increase isnt all that usefull for regular use. 

I'm not gonna get x570 board soon so i'll pass on that

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you got a site we can look around on?

Yeah. The first site is a catalogue for a lot of other sites where they sell parts. The others are some good sites :
https://www.pazaruvaj.com/
https://www.vario.bg/komponenti-tvrd-disk?64[]=SSD&orderby= (this will be alittle hard to navigate for you, ask me if you have any questions)
https://plasico.bg/
https://www.jarcomputers.com/

18 minutes ago, goshot said:

But don't you agree that if i get DRAM-less SSD it will be worse overall?

I don't think i'll notice the difference in speeds, at least for the things i'm doing, right? So even though the Evo is faster it might not matter that much for me, right? Thanks for your opinions!

as far as i can tell right now the mx300 i have does not have a dram cache, just a generic slc buffer, and the 850evo i had did have dram cache.
both worked well, but i never noticed any difference in speed as a boot drive or in general usage.
the mx300 serves as my boot drive, works flawlessly. I had the 850 evo in my laptop as a boot drive, but sold that one already so cannot test anything for you with that.

the very cheap m.2 ssd as a lightroom cache (a 120gb wd green) with slc caching also does its job perfectly for randomly copying stuff on it.

as you don't move massive file sizes, just keep the order going for the mx500. Problem is with ssds, you can nerd out over so many technicalities that you don't really notice unless you have a very specific use scenario with writing and reading all day huge amounts. A word document will copy on all ssds probably instantly or smaller folders. if you're talking many gbs it may differ, but only may.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

11 minutes ago, goshot said:

I'm not gonna get x570 board soon so i'll pass on that

Yeah. The first site is a catalogue for a lot of other sites where they sell parts. The others are some good sites :
https://www.pazaruvaj.com/
https://www.vario.bg/komponenti-tvrd-disk?64[]=SSD&orderby= (this will be alittle hard to navigate for you, ask me if you have any questions)
https://plasico.bg/
https://www.jarcomputers.com/

https://ssd-hard-disk.pazaruvaj.com/adata/xpg-sx6000-pro-512gb-m-2-pcie-asx6000pnp-512gt-c-p428071770/

this should roughly be the best around that pricepoint. you can drop down and get a intel 660p to save money aswell. 

https://ssd-hard-disk.pazaruvaj.com/adata/xpg-sx6000-pro-512gb-m-2-pcie-asx6000pnp-512gt-c-p428071770/

this should roughly be the best around that pricepoint. you can drop down and get a intel 660p to save money aswell. 

Doesn't the intel 660p lack DRAM cache?

5 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

as far as i can tell right now the mx300 i have does not have a dram cache, just a generic slc buffer, and the 850evo i had did have dram cache.
both worked well, but i never noticed any difference in speed as a boot drive or in general usage.
the mx300 serves as my boot drive, works flawlessly. I had the 850 evo in my laptop as a boot drive, but sold that one already so cannot test anything for you with that.

the very cheap m.2 ssd as a lightroom cache (a 120gb wd green) with slc caching also does its job perfectly for randomly copying stuff on it.

as you don't move massive file sizes, just keep the order going for the mx500. Problem is with ssds, you can nerd out over so many technicalities that you don't really notice unless you have a very specific use scenario with writing and reading all day huge amounts. A word document will copy on all ssds probably instantly or smaller folders. if you're talking many gbs it may differ, but only may.

Thank you for the insights! How long have you had the mx300 for? I remember in Lunus' review he said that DRAM can help with the longevity of the drive.

Also what do you think about getting an SSD for my uses (browsering, journaling, programming, sometimes playing games) - Am i just overreacting with getting a SSD, and is a HDD good enough, because a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD is almost half the price of the SSD (Crucial 500GB is 142 levs, while the HDD is 83 levs).

3 minutes ago, goshot said:

it has Dram Cache. the issue is its usage of QLC and SLC. which makes the drive slower to the point of a Sata SSD once it starts to gt close to fill up or in loads exceeding 80GB at the time. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

it has Dram Cache. the issue is its usage of QLC and SLC. which makes the drive slower to the point of a Sata SSD once it starts to gt close to fill up or in loads exceeding 80GB at the time. 

The intel 660p is like 6 bucks cheaper than the MX500, i don' think it's worth it. And the MP510 is more expensive from the crucial one by 24 bucks.

7 minutes ago, goshot said:

The intel 660p is like 6 bucks cheaper than the MX500, i don' think it's worth it. And the MP510 is more expensive from the crucial one by 24 bucks.

I sent you a good SSD that sits between the mx500 and 860 evo and is much better than both. Grab that.

Btw the 660p is better in many ways than the mx500.

26 minutes ago, goshot said:

Also isn't that SSD a little slow for NVMe standards?

The SSD i sent? No? Not from what i can gather. 

I sent you a good SSD that sits between the mx500 and 860 evo and is much better than both. Grab that.

Btw the 660p is better in many ways than the mx500.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

The SSD i sent? No? Not from what i can gather. 

This is the SSD you sent:

https://www.jarcomputers.com/A-Data-512GB-SSD-SX6000-Pro-PCIE-M2_prod_SSDADATAASX6000PNP512GTC.html?ref=prod
I just saw its sequential speeds are 2100 and 1500 MB/s, and i remember seeing some NVMe SSD's have 3000 MB/s

Just now, goshot said:

This is the SSD you sent:

https://www.jarcomputers.com/A-Data-512GB-SSD-SX6000-Pro-PCIE-M2_prod_SSDADATAASX6000PNP512GTC.html?ref=prod
I just saw its sequential speeds are 2100 and 1500 MB/s, and i remember seeing some NVMe SSD's have 3000 MB/s

Usual NVMe sits around 2100 mb/s.

There is also the crucial P1 if you want something slightly better than the 660p. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Usual NVMe sits around 2100 mb/s.

There is also the crucial P1 if you want something slightly better than the 660p. 

Depends on the price really, if its near the price of the MX500 then sure.
In short, there are better SSD's than the MX500 and Evo 860 for this price point right?

1 minute ago, goshot said:

Depends on the price really, if its near the price of the MX500 then sure.
In short, there are better SSD's than the MX500 and Evo 860 for this price point right?

More or less. 

Mx500 was the king last year in terms of value. Atm there are other options.

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

More or less. 

Mx500 was the king last year in terms of value. Atm there are other options.

Can you list the other better options again (other than Corsair Force MP510, ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro and crucial p1)?

I saw that the Crucials P1 DRAM is DDR3. Isn't DDR4 better?

How fast is DDR3 compared to DDR4 cache? Will i notice a difference?

Do heatsinks on the NVMe help? Do i need to look for a NVMe SSD with a heatsink on it?

How fast is DDR3 compared to DDR4 cache? Will i notice a difference?

there is a difference, but you wont notice a difference. 

Do heatsinks on the NVMe help? Do i need to look for a NVMe SSD with a heatsink on it?

you dont need to consider heatsinks unless the NVMe disk is PCIe 4.0. 

Can you list the other better options again (other than Corsair Force MP510, ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro and crucial p1)?

i couldnt find any other interesting SSDs in the store you showed me. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there is a difference, but you wont notice a difference. 

you dont need to consider heatsinks unless the NVMe disk is PCIe 4.0. 

i couldnt find any other interesting SSDs in the store you showed me. 

Which do you think is the best one for my uses?

Just now, goshot said:

Which do you think is the best one for my uses?

i would probably head for either the P1 or 660p. the P1 being slighty better. then its down to money, in which case that down to you. you really wont notice a difference between either of them.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i would probably head for either the P1 or 660p. the P1 being slighty better. then its down to money, in which case that down to you. you really wont notice a difference between either of them.

Is it really worth it to get a NVMe over a SATA SSD, even though the prices are similar.

I'm a little worried about QLC having worse logevity, even though its 100 TBW it still worries be that the QLC will fail at some point.

Maybe it's because isaw this video earlier and now im just getting paranoid.

I'm currently reading some reviews on the Crucial P1.

2 minutes ago, goshot said:

it really worth it to get a NVMe over a SATA SSD, even though the prices are similar.

I mean, you dont loose akything by getting m.2.

I'm a little worried about QLC having worse logevity, even though its 100 TBW it still worries be that the QLC will fail at some point.

You will never have the oppertunity of writing that much. You just wont. You dont write a 350GB a day to get an oppertunity to kill it within a year.

Do good practise of keeping 10% unused in the SSD and you are good

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I mean, you dont loose akything by getting m.2.

You will never have the oppertunity of writing that much. You just wont. You dont write a 350GB a day to get an oppertunity to kill it within a year.

Do good practise of keeping 10% unused in the SSD and you are good

Thank you for all your advise!

1 hour ago, goshot said:

Thank you for the insights! How long have you had the mx300 for? I remember in Lunus' review he said that DRAM can help with the longevity of the drive.

Also what do you think about getting an SSD for my uses (browsering, journaling, programming, sometimes playing games) - Am i just overreacting with getting a SSD, and is a HDD good enough, because a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD is almost half the price of the SSD (Crucial 500GB is 142 levs, while the HDD is 83 levs).

i have the mx300 since maybe 3 years? something in that region
it ran already 3200 hours, but even in that time only 8,5 TB written, don't have any large files on that drive, only os, some games and few files

It's doing great :)
thank you btw for leading me to open crystal disk info, i discoverd my other hdd is on the way out...
if you are just storing data like word documents on it, then a hdd will be fine. All my long term storage and photo library are on hdds.
if you also want to put your os on that, get a ssd.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

11 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

i have the mx300 since maybe 3 years? something in that region
it ran already 3200 hours, but even in that time only 8,5 TB written, don't have any large files on that drive, only os, some games and few files

It's doing great :)
thank you btw for leading me to open crystal disk info, i discoverd my other hdd is on the way out...
if you are just storing data like word documents on it, then a hdd will be fine. All my long term storage and photo library are on hdds.
if you also want to put your os on that, get a ssd.

I'm planning on writing a little - journaling and making stories. Is it better to have those documents on a SSD or a HDD? I don't think i'll need much storage, and i don't think they take up much space. 

13 minutes ago, goshot said:

I'm planning on writing a little - journaling and making stories. Is it better to have those documents on a SSD or a HDD? I don't think i'll need much storage, and i don't think they take up much space. 

you're fine either way, and i doubt you will notice any real difference in speed. if it's just word and a few pictures it won't exeed a few mb for the files. the plus side of ssds is they are silent.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D