Apple announces independent repair program

linkboy

Apple has announced a program that will allow independent repair shops to have the ability to purchase repair parts from Apple at the same cost as authorized shops.

“To better meet our customers’ needs, we’re making it easier for independent providers across the US to tap into the same resources as our Apple Authorized Service Provider network,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer. “When a repair is needed, a customer should have confidence the repair is done right. We believe the safest and most reliable repair is one handled by a trained technician using genuine parts that have been properly engineered and rigorously tested.”

You do have to get certified by Apple to participate in the program, but that is free.

Honestly, it's about time Apple came around on this. As we all know, this has been an issue for years and I can't wait to see what Rossman's response is. I'm glad they're finally loosening the strings on this

4 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Unless there is a catch, its finally a celebration for Lewis Rossman

Based on Rossman's personality I get the distinct impression he won't waste his time getting Apple Certified.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What's the catch? With Apple there is always a catch. 

Possibly that only machines that are 3 years old newer are supported ? 

Inb4 price of parts reveal

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Based on Rossman's personality I get the distinct impression he won't waste his time getting Apple Certified.

I think he will. But he may look at what he is going to be able to get fully. Meaning are the small SMCs going to be available. Or will he still have to source them from donors kind of thing. If it’s worth his time then I suspect he will get certifications and parts 

16 hours ago, 5x5 said:

What's the catch? With Apple there is always a catch. 

I would have to guess the catch is that you can't do certain repairs anymore. Louis Rossmann in the past made a video about a certain Apple authorized repair companies and how they couldn't offer certain services to deal with possible data recovery.

I believe he did a livestream calling some of those companies, with a fake story about a liquid dmaged iPhone and data recovery. Most companies probably could do it, but they are not allowed to actually offer it.

My memory is kind of vague on this, it has been a while since I have seen it.. but something like that.

Or when iMac Pro came out and only certain licensed iMac Pro techs could order parts.

Of course I would love to stay positive and see this as a good thing, but I will remain sceptical until further details are shown.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Windows7ge said:

He can always hire one or get one of his "goons" certified) The most interesting stuff is prolly in the agreement on how you are allowed to handle those parts, i.e only the certified technician is allowed to handle them in any way and Apple somehow has a way to find out and will persue penalties. Or they can always have excuberant prices for parts for their stores and do the magic accounting stuff.

Just now, rockking1379 said:

I think he will. But he may look at what he is going to be able to get fully. Meaning are the small SMCs going to be available. Or will he still have to source them from donors kind of thing. If it’s worth his time then I suspect he will get certifications and parts 

It doesn't cost anything to become certified, so I expect a lot of independent shops will go through with it just to be less of a headache.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If he doesn't have to sacrifice the way he does his business, he'd probably go for it if it offered some advantage. He's not apple certified now because it would restrict him only, but if this independent repair authorization is more suitable for his business model, I could see him actually going for it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It may not cost anything to get certified, but knowing Apple, the replacement parts will probably cost an arm and a leg if you have to go through them. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Apple’s repair tools, training, service guides, and diagnostics must be kept confidential.

https://support.apple.com/irp-program

So no more showing schematics on streams

Participating service companies using iPhone genuine parts are required to have Apple-certified technicians perform the repairs.

Seems qualifying for the programm is not that hard, other then this they want to review your business docs and you to be in the commercial zone

3 minutes ago, rockking1379 said:

At the same time though this is Apple were talking about. I bet it's not as simple as "Get certified and we'll give you EVERYTHING at authorized shop prices." it's probably more like "Here's SOME things at authorized rate, everything else is what we'd charge a customer."

6 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

He can always hire one or get one of his "goons" certified) The most interesting stuff is prolly in the agreement on how you are allowed to handle those parts, i.e only the certified technician is allowed to handle them in any way and Apple somehow has a way to find out and will persue penalties. Or they can always have excuberant prices for parts for their stores and do the magic accounting stuff.

I'll admit I did not think of passing off an employee as certified, lol. Biggest problem I see there though is that employee would be responsible for making all purchases of parts though and if they ever quit then...

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If he doesn't have to sacrifice the way he does his business, he'd probably go for it if it offered some advantage. He's not apple certified now because it would restrict him only, but if this independent repair authorization is more suitable for his business model, I could see him actually going for it.

I think it depends on how many strings are attached and what the rates would actually be for parts and weather or not he'd still have to source some parts himself. It could still very well not be worth it to him.

I think there is a catch... parts will be hard to get for third party repair shops, but easy for authorized Apple ones.

I don't think it will start like this at first, but all they are trying to do is delay as much as possible revolts and have government step in, making Apple forced to do things that they don't like (hurt their income) by actually providing repair parts and service, including service manual to third parties, reducing the need of consumers to replace their phone earlier than when actually needed.

54 minutes ago, rockking1379 said:

I’m gonna go wait for him to post his video with his opinions on it

I'm popping my popcorn already, let's go!

Am I in the right universe? Can someone NOT surprised by this answer these questions?

Bearstine, Berenstein or Bearstean?

"Life is like a box of chocolates" or "Life was like a box of chocolates"?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

the life simulation is preparing to crash please pull all units out.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

But doesn't apple sell full components as replacement parts for Apple store repairs?

They wont sell individual ICs to fix a broken motherboard, they will sell the whole motherboard.

The interesting part is if they will allow 3rd parties to use their DRM programs to make approved part changes, like with the iphone batteries that now require apple's ID numbers of the components to match so they won't show the warning message that the new battery is damaged.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Suppose we'll find out. Perhaps if someone higher up in Apple had gone to Rossmann or Jenna at some point, and had a good experience, I could see such an individual pushing for Apple to allow (limited) access to OEM parts so as to ensure positive customer experience. But I'm just thinking positively here.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Suppose we'll find out. Perhaps if someone higher up in Apple had gone to Rossmann or Jenna at some point, and had a good experience, I could see such an individual pushing for Apple to allow (limited) access to OEM parts so as to ensure positive customer experience. But I'm just thinking positively here.

As you've just stated. Limited. I could be wrong but this sounds like the most likely route Apple's going to take with this. Depending on supply and price Rossman may or may not find the certification worth it but his opinions of apple as a company don't make me think he'll openly accept this.

He has stated in the past that he believes in making as much money as possible so if it were to take his business in a more profitable direction then yes I could see him changing his mind for the sake of profit but I don't think Apple will make it that easy. They've never made it that easy before.

I can only imagine that this might carry the same or worse caveats as the Apple Authorized Service Providers, where components cost outrageous amounts without certified trade-ins, ridiculous shipping times with no allowance of keeping parts on the shelf, and still limiting repair solutions to retain the "free" certification. I only really imagine this program being used so that IT departments can officially repair their own equipment if they so choose to, rather than having to rely on other repair solutions. That'd make sense with the upcoming Mac Pro.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Possibly, but he does praise them from time to time and his business repairs MacBooks…. So it would be almost idiotic if he didn't.

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Possibly, but he does praise them from time to time and his business repairs MacBooks…. So it would be almost idiotic if he didn't.

I'm going to refer you to this comment of mine:

He has stated in the past that he believes in making as much money as possible so if it were to take his business in a more profitable direction then yes I could see him changing his mind for the sake of profit but I don't think Apple will make it that easy. They've never made it that easy before.