Old PC vs new build

I have a PC with an i7-4770 CPU and 8gb of ram but the motherboard (1150 socket )is basically broken 

My dilemma is do I buy a new 1150 motherboard , which is really hard to find , only one I could find was a stock standard one(R1000 /65$), which is what I had tbf.

Or do I basically buy everything new again ,Ryzen 5 3600 , MSI Tomahawk B450, with crucial ballistix 16GB RAM at 2666MHZ for about R7000 (460 $) .

The new stuff is a special /bundle deal so if I do change /upgrade stuff the price will increase 

Any advice would be appreciated 

Well, are you happy with your current build? Does it fulfil your needs?

secondly, do you have the budget for such a build?

2 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Well, are you happy with your current build? Does it fulfil your needs?

secondly, do you have the budget for such a build?

I do technically have the budget 

I'm pretty happy with it , it does what it needs to do but I'm also afraid of something happening to it in the future and then having to buy new parts anyway 

Just now, MaverickGDN said:

I do technically have the budget 

I'm pretty happy with it , it does what it needs to do but I'm also afraid of something happening to it in the future and then having to buy new parts anyway 

I’m afraid buddy this is a choice your gonna have to make for yourself. I don’t know you or your feelings toward your PC.

godd luck!

Since you state a fear that will always be present, it should be nullified and neglected.

Any piece of hardware can break at any given moment. The only difference is that you have warranty on them or not and are applicable for it.

If you would buy a new system, you will get a new warranty for atleast a year.

Currently i would geuss that a ryzen3 5 series will run you for atleast the commin 3 - 4 years depending on your usecase.

If its a outlook and webbrowsing machine type of usage, it will probably last 10+ years.

But the same goes for the old hardware you have for the last usecase.

So my question would be, what is your inteded use for the system in the future?

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Are you sure those mainboards are that hard to find?

I dont know about your country but just by age those should be in their prime time on the used market (a quick search around where im from gave like 20 results)

3 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Since you state a fear that will always be present, it should be nullified and neglected.

Any piece of hardware can break at any given moment. The only difference is that you have warranty on them or not and are applicable for it.

If you would buy a new system, you will get a new warranty for atleast a year.

Currently i would geuss that a ryzen3 5 series will run you for atleast the commin 3 - 4 years depending on your usecase.

If its a outlook and webbrowsing machine type of usage, it will probably last 10+ years.

But the same goes for the old hardware you have for the last usecase.

So my question would be, what is your inteded use for the system in the future?

Mostly gaming , coding and web browsing 

Also as an addition.

That bundle, it is not that good a deal . . .

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $195.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $130.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $74.95 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $400.84
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-29 07:57 EDT-0400  

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 minute ago, MaverickGDN said:

Mostly gaming , coding and web browsing 

Since you're gaming. Upgrade would be my advice.

2 minutes ago, Eumel2 said:

Are you sure those mainboards are that hard to find?

I dont know about your country but just by age those should be in their prime time on the used market (a quick search around where im from gave like 20 results)

My old /current pc is basically second hand with the exception of the GPU ,the faulty motherboard is also second hand hence why I'm weary to buy second hand again 

1 minute ago, Caennanu said:

Also as an addition.

That bundle, it is not that good a deal . . .

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $195.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $130.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $74.95 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $400.84
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-29 07:57 EDT-0400  

In South Africa , it's like a R800 / 53$ discount on the site that I looked at anyway,

Are these prices from US or international ?

1 minute ago, MaverickGDN said:

Currently i picked the US region and had to fill in the mainboard price myself and took a rough estimate. 

The MAX version (which you want to get to fully use Zen2) here in holland goes for 110 euro.

8 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Currently i picked the US region and had to fill in the mainboard price myself and took a rough estimate. 

The MAX version (which you want to get to fully use Zen2) here in holland goes for 110 euro.

These are the specs 

IMG_20190829_141227.jpg

13 minutes ago, MaverickGDN said:

These are the specs 

I see.

Personally i wouldn't get it. And here the reasoning:

Thomahawk B450 non MAX edition has an bios size issue. Due to this, it has limited functionality. Things like Raid have been removed and the BIOS menu itsself is more basic (in terms of layout).

The memory is 2666mhz, while this is fine and will work, it is not optimal, Ryzen prefers higher clocked, where most would suggest 3600mhz, altho official support stops at 3200mhz.

40 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

I see.

Personally i wouldn't get it. And here the reasoning:

Thomahawk B450 non MAX edition has an bios size issue. Due to this, it has limited functionality. Things like Raid have been removed and the BIOS menu itsself is more basic (in terms of layout).

The memory is 2666mhz, while this is fine and will work, it is not optimal, Ryzen prefers higher clocked, where most would suggest 3600mhz, altho official support stops at 3200mhz.

Okay fair enough, what motherboard and ram would you recommend ?I check stuff out and amazon is about a thousand Rand cheaper , so I technically have some money to play around with 

Also upgraded , I think anyway , to corsair vengeance 2x 8Gbs at 3k MHz, would that be more suitable?

3 minutes ago, MaverickGDN said:

Okay fair enough, what motherboard and ram would you recommend ?I check stuff out and amazon is about a thousand Rand cheaper , so I technically have some money to play around with 

Also upgraded , I think anyway , to corsair vengeance 2x 8Gbs at 3k MHz, would that be more suitable?

The initial pick is fine, except for the mainboard. Take a MAX Tomahawk if you can. I currently do not know of other 4 series chipsets that have an increased bios size, but i'm sure there are others (comming).

For the memory, yeah 3k is fine, 'better' would be a 3200 kit, preferably on the QVL of the mainboard you pick, but that latter is more a guideline than anything else. 

Most 3k's can be overclocked to 3200 or higher, but if you do not want to do that, 3200 is what is 'natively' supported by the cpu. And generally should become plug and play without having to mess with bios settings.

8 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

The initial pick is fine, except for the mainboard. Take a MAX Tomahawk if you can. I currently do not know of other 4 series chipsets that have an increased bios size, but i'm sure there are others (comming).

For the memory, yeah 3k is fine, 'better' would be a 3200 kit, preferably on the QVL of the mainboard you pick, but that latter is more a guideline than anything else. 

Most 3k's can be overclocked to 3200 or higher, but if you do not want to do that, 3200 is what is 'natively' supported by the cpu. And generally should become plug and play without having to mess with bios settings.

I upgraded to 3600 for the same type of ram , was only 5$ more 

In terms of motherboard, these are the only available ones on Amazon 

Screenshot_20190829_152634_com.android.chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, MaverickGDN said:

I upgraded to 3600 for the same type of ram , was only 5$ more 

In terms of motherboard, these are the only available ones on Amazon 

That is not a very long list. When i select a ship to south africa i get a lot more options. . . . 

But i don't see any of the MAX boards, so i geuss that is what you are referring to.

Don't get me wrong, the B450 Tomahawk original will work just fine. Just sucks if you want to form a raid or something similar in the near future.

5 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

That is not a very long list. When i select a ship to south africa i get a lot more options. . . . 

But i don't see any of the MAX boards, so i geuss that is what you are referring to.

Don't get me wrong, the B450 Tomahawk original will work just fine. Just sucks if you want to form a raid or something similar in the near future.

Well I mean I'm not limited to MSI, I was just referring to the fact that they don't have the max variant 

Can you suggest any other motherboards in a similar price range ?

You've been very helpful btw , thank you so much 

8 minutes ago, MaverickGDN said:

Well I mean I'm not limited to MSI, I was just referring to the fact that they don't have the max variant 

Can you suggest any other motherboards in a similar price range ?

You've been very helpful btw , thank you so much 

Unfortunately, i do not currently know of any mainboards in the 4 series chipset that have a proper bios other than the MAX versions.

If you want to be completely effort free, take an B550 mainboard when they come out or an X570 that are currently available, all will do.