Watch it, you GIMP - Glimpse project founded to avoid branding that some find offensive

Jito463

Okay, that was definitely a clickbait title, and while I do feel a bit bad about it........I don't feel bad enough to change it.  Mods are free do so as they see fit, however.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/28/gimp_open_source_image_editor_forked_to_fix_problematic_name/

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is probably the most well known image editing software out there, originally made for Linux, it is also available for Windows and Mac OS.  A small group have decided that the name has certain....marketing drawbacks, so they've forked it and created a new version called Glimpse.

Glimpse is a fork of the popular open source image editor, GIMP, created primarily to offer the software under an alternative name.

GIMP is a longstanding project, first announced in November 1995. The name was originally an acronym for General Image Manipulation Program but this was changed to GNU Image Manipulation Program.

The new fork springs from a discussion on Gitlab, where the source code is hosted. The discussion has been hidden but is available on web archives here. A topic titled "Consider renaming GIMP to a less offensive name," opened by developer Christopher Davis, stated:

I'd like to propose renaming GIMP, due to the baggage behind the name. The most modern and often used version of the word "gimp" is an ableist insult. This is also the colloquial usage of the word. In addition to the pain of the definition, there's also the marketability issue. Acronyms are difficult to remember, and they end up pronounced instead of read as their parts. "GIMP" does not give a hint towards the function of the app, and it's hard to market something that's either used as an insult or a sex reference.

The proposal was supported by another developer, Leonora Tindall, who noted that "I have, on two occasions now, recommended this program to photography and graphic design educators (as an alternative to Photoshop) who told me that they considered it and found it good as software but weren't permitted by their institution to use it in the classroom because of the name."

So how do the original developers of GIMP feel about this?  It was already covered in their FAQ.

The subject of the suitability of the name is not new, and is enshrined in the official FAQ:

"I don't like the name GIMP. Will you change it?"

With all due respect, no. We’ve been using the name GIMP for more than 20 years and it's widely known … on top of that, we feel that in the long run, sterilization of language will do more harm than good. … Finally, if you still have strong feelings about the name "GIMP", you should feel free to promote the use of the long form GNU Image Manipulation Program or maintain your own releases of the software under a different name.

Personally, I'm of the same mind.  Honestly, I never even thought of the name as an insulting term.  People can be so thin-skinned at times.  I myself have things that just bug the crap out of me, but we all have to learn to deal with things out of our control.  That said, the FAQ suggested forking the program to change the name, which someone has now gone and done, so....mission accomplished?

The Glimpse project is therefore entirely within the spirit of open source. "We believe free software should be accessible to everyone, and in this case a re-brand is both a desirable and very straightforward fix that could attract a whole new generation of users and contributors," says the About page.

It seems they're not just planning on a rebranding fork, though.  They have plans to customize the UI in the future, though they also still plan to contribute to the original GIMP code.

The developers are planning more than just a name change, including a "front-end UI rewrite" according to an update posted a week ago. The team is looking at screenshots of existing image editing application user interfaces to inform design mockups. There is also a discussion about language choices. Rust with GTK (Gnome Toolkit) bindings, perhaps? C++ and Qt?

It is "a long-term plan, maybe a few years down the road," says Moss. "It's something people are looking at in parallel. The main focus at the moment is just tracking the upstream releases, and making changes to them. When we hit GNU image manipulation program version 3, they'll have completed their port to GTK 3, and that's where we are looking to do a hard fork and can start getting more ambitious with user interface changes.

"A lot of the functionality is actually in a set of libraries. Those components would still be used and any changes we made to them would be contributed back.

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Personally, I'm of the same mind.  Honestly, I never even thought of the name as an insulting term.  People can be so thin-skinned at times.

I heard about this whole debacle yesterday and I facepalmed myself hard several times in a row. I mean, for fuck's sakes, "GIMP" is the name of a software-product. It's also a very useful one. I cannot see how the fuck that could be insulting. If anything, it lessens the impact of the word "gimp" when used as an insult!

"GIMP" does not give a hint towards the function of the app

How the fuck is "Glimpse" any better in this regards? "Glimpse" doesn't hint towards the app being an image-editor in any way or form, either!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

As a user of GIMP myself (who would have thought..) I have in the past had some difficulties in recommending the program because of the sexual reference that can be made with the name.

That usually doesn't last long though (unless it's an inside joke) and people quickly don't care about the name anymore.

GIMP does have a strong brandname at this point, so I don't think changing that would be a great decision.

A UI overhaul would be much appreciated though 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

19 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How the fuck is "Glimpse" any better in this regards? "Glimpse" doesn't hint towards the app being an image-editor in any way or form, either!

Looks better to the it idiots when its installed on my government issue public service laptop 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

A UI overhaul would be much appreciated though

Yeah. I've gotten severely frustrated several times, because I can't find a way of rearranging the tabs for open pictures, for example. In any other program, you'd just drag the tabs to rearrange them, but in GIMP....nope. Neither does holding ALT down do it. Or CTRL. Or SHIFT. Or any combination of those.

There are plenty of such small, but pretty important niggles everywhere.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Loote said:

If the fork is actively maintained, then cool, but I'm afraid this project will die down after a year.

There may be some activity on it for a few weeks while the people hungry for some attention flock to it, but...yeah, I very much doubt it'll live for long.

16 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Looks better to the it idiots when its installed on my government issue public service laptop 

Those "IT Idiots" will all be very well aware of what GIMP is and does.

The classroom argument I can see though, imagine trying to teach a group of 14 year old kids how to use GIMP. Yeah, that'll never happen.

38 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well Glimpse is at least related to seeing things which loosely ties into an image editing program. Also what does Premier have to do with video editing? Traktor to do with music? I think it's more about changing the name than what the name is changed to.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I think it's more about changing the name than what the name is changed to.

They themselves said that the name "GIMP" not telling anything about the function of the app was one of the reasons for the name-change, not me.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Well Glimpse is at least related to seeing things which loosely ties into an image editing program.

Extremely, extremely loosely, IMHO. I mean, it might just as well be about specs. Or MySQL-databases. Weather-patterns. Anything really. Besides, providing a glimpse of or into something doesn't even mean it is necessarily visual -- the output could be e.g. auditory. Or textual.

Personally, "Glimpse" sounds more like an image-viewer to me and not an editor, so it's even more misleading than GIMP, which doesn't really mean anything when it comes to software or hardware. What sorts of connotations one comes up with wrt. the word "glimpse" in the context of computer-software is obviously a very personal thing, so I can't claim the connotations that come to my mind would apply even to most people, but, for GIMP, I can't come up with any connotations at all -- if I didn't already know of GIMP and I was looking for an image-editor, I'd likely end up skipping "Glimpse" just because I thought it was a simple viewer, but with no connotations associated with the word GIMP, I'd be more likely to at least read the blurb for what it was.

Anyways, this is getting to ranting by now and I apologize for cluttering the thread.

gimp
[ gimp ]
noun
a flat trimming of silk, wool, or other cord, sometimes stiffened with wire, for garments, curtains, etc.
a coarse thread, usually glazed, employed in lacemaking to outline designs.

Where is the offense? :)

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

If people are mad about GIMP's name, I'm sure these would piss them off even more

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

I have in the past had some difficulties in recommending the program because of the sexual reference that can be made with the name.

I truly have no idea how this is a sexual reference (nor am I particularly interested in finding out what that reference would be).  Until I read the original article, I didn't even know it held that connotation for some people.

Reeeeeeeeeee! Words can't have more than one meaning, and if one of those meanings offends me it must be banned

Spoiler

*he says eating his bag of cheese gays*

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

"Bring out the glimpse"

The only usage I was aware of outside the image editing software was in Pulp Fiction. That's... not the sort of image you want at most work places.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

inb4 the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search renames themselves too ._.

Considering I frequent their forums, I didn't even make this connection until you said it...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

is that where the term gimped came from? ive never heard it being used to refer to a person

Honestly, I would never want a software called "GIMP" on my PC, regardless of what it can do. Because there's still plenty of people who don't know about it being an image editor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

53 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I truly have no idea how this is a sexual reference (nor am I particularly interested in finding out what that reference would be).

Well, I think you do want to know:

"A BDSM enthusiast who fancies full-bodied latex and or leather"

Source

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Well, I think you do want to know:

"A BDSM enthusiast who fancies full-bodied latex and or leather"

Source

Urban dictionary somehow always manages to turn every single word into a sexual reference. lmao

On this topic, is every single word offensive at this point? Like wtf.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

24 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Urban dictionary somehow always manages to turn every single word into a sexual reference. lmao

I'd say a term originating in the 30s is much more relevant than some new fangled computer program

26 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

On this topic, is every single word offensive at this point? Like wtf.

How dare you say these offensive words to me! /s

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

How...how...do people have time to find reasons to be offended.  My plate is full.  My cup overfloweth.  Im way to blessed with two much work, to many things that need fixed, to many responsibilities, to much family, to much fun. 

Life is better this way, at least for me.  Not sure why people enjoy self-induced drama or emotions.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

A Dumb reason to waste valuable time that could be put toward improving/bringing more features to GIMP

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

-Added Context to Title-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25