Is my corsair vs550 enough for my build

Noobguy98

Hey guys im wondering if my corsair vs 550 would be enough to power my future upgrade (ryzen 5 2600)

My current specs are

Ryzen 3 2200g

Aorus b450m

2x4gb ram

Gtx1070

Corsair vs550

Gaming periph and a 144hz monitor

Thanks for the replies

This VS550W:

Image result for corsair vs550

Or this VS550W:

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

This VS550W:

Or this VS550W:

The first one

The first ones

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

It is more than enough no need to worry but I would recommend going with a semi modular unit instead

1 hour ago, Noobguy98 said:

The first one 

Then you should replace it.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

i personally connect my gpu power by putting a wire in the hot part of my outlet and shoving it in the gpu power pins. works great for overclocking potential

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

no need to replace, of course had i bought a new PSU and haven´t had one i might have gone 650+ watt, but 550watt in a decent branded PSU is okay.

it has 42 Amps on the 12V rail.. but of course, when jonnyGURU says replace, it is a BIT more punch than the rest of us.. 

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do i need to replace it asap? Or could i finish my upgrades first because it is kinda new

2 minutes ago, Noobguy98 said:

Do i need to replace it asap? Or could i finish my upgrades first because it is kinda new

It's new?  Odd.  It was replaced by the one in the second picture a year and a half ago.

If it's new enough to return it, return it and demand the newer version.

But it should be fine for now.  It has proper protections so if it blows up, it's not going to kill your hardware.  

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's new?  Odd.  It was replaced by the one in the second picture a year and a half ago.

If it's new enough to return it, return it and demand the newer version.

But it should be fine for now.  It has proper protections so if it blows up, it's not going to kill your hardware.  

Not that new but bought recently. Can kt handle ryzen 5 2600 and my 1070?

20 minutes ago, Noobguy98 said:

Not that new but bought recently. Can kt handle ryzen 5 2600 and my 1070?

It might work.  But I can't guarantee anything.  Those 230V only, CWT built VS's were a real pain.  When they worked, they worked great.  But they were also plagued with problems.  That's why they were upgraded to the HEC platform used today.

12 hours ago, king_gill said:

It is more than enough no need to worry but I would recommend going with a semi modular unit instead

Are you under the guise that all PSUs have the same quality or something?

7 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

no need to replace, of course had i bought a new PSU and haven´t had one i might have gone 650+ watt, but 550watt in a decent branded PSU is okay.

it has 42 Amps on the 12V rail.. but of course, when jonnyGURU says replace, it is a BIT more punch than the rest of us.. 

504W on the 12V rail for a 550W PSU usually means it's group regulated. And that's not good. 

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It might work.  But I can't guarantee anything.  Those 230V only, CWT built VS's were a real pain.  When they worked, they worked great.  But they were also plagued with problems.  That's why they were upgraded to the HEC platform used today.

Planning to upgrade to ryzen 5 2600 then ram last would be the psu... Because of fps issues in cpu intensive games. Should i go for a better psu first? 

1 hour ago, Noobguy98 said:

Planning to upgrade to ryzen 5 2600 then ram last would be the psu... Because of fps issues in cpu intensive games. Should i go for a better psu first? 

Better PSU isn't going to necessarily net you better FPS.  The PSU would have to be REALLY crappy for that to be the case.

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Better PSU isn't going to necessarily net you better FPS.  The PSU would have to be REALLY crappy for that to be the case.

I mean my current ryzen 3 2200g is kinda giving me fps issues on cpu intensive games because it bottlenecks my gtx1070. Thats why i want to upgrade to a ryzen 5 2600 and am wondering if my vs550 can handle it

13 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

504W on the 12V rail for a 550W PSU usually means it's group regulated. And that's not good. 

it might not be, but seriously it is a 2200g and a 1070 the 1070 specs out at 150, so maybe 220watts.. and then you have a small ryzen cpu on a board, would at max in my take use 100watts, than a bit for drives and fans.. then you have a system that .. peaks around 350-400watts. when at full blast on everything.

That it is a "branded" PSU means for me, that he is not going to get meltdowns, and other ugly incidents, because of the cheap marked components.. yes he might have some unstable rails..

i´ve run larger systems on crappy 550watt LC power psu´s today i am running an older RM850 unit, and a RM650 unit in my server. 

I know and 100% respect JonnyGuru´s opinion, he is by far one of the Power supply reviewers, but there is also the fact that you do own this psu, so you have it in stock. if you have system stability issues, by all means exchange it..

and gaming doesn´t even max out both CPU and GPU at the same time.

if it was a brand new system build, yes by all means go for something of higher wattage and a higher standard maybe a gold or platinium.

again this is not a 550watt Aliexpress, unit.. it is a base level corsair. personally i would go with it, did i get issues, then i would exchange it... 

8 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

it might not be, but seriously it is a 2200g and a 1070 the 1070 specs out at 150, so maybe 220watts.. and then you have a small ryzen cpu on a board, would at max in my take use 100watts, than a bit for drives and fans.. then you have a system that .. peaks around 350-400watts. when at full blast on everything.

That it is a "branded" PSU means for me, that he is not going to get meltdowns, and other ugly incidents, because of the cheap marked components.. yes he might have some unstable rails..

i´ve run larger systems on crappy 550watt LC power psu´s today i am running an older RM850 unit, and a RM650 unit in my server. 

I know and 100% respect JonnyGuru´s opinion, he is by far one of the Power supply reviewers, but there is also the fact that you do own this psu, so you have it in stock. if you have system stability issues, by all means exchange it..

and gaming doesn´t even max out both CPU and GPU at the same time.

if it was a brand new system build, yes by all means go for something of higher wattage and a higher standard maybe a gold or platinium.

again this is not a 550watt Aliexpress, unit.. it is a base level corsair. personally i would go with it, did i get issues, then i would exchange it... 

I would upgrade my psu in the future but i really want to upgeade my cpu ryzen 3 2200g to a ryzen 5 2600 first bc of fps issues on cpu intensive games 

On 8/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, Noobguy98 said:

I would upgrade my psu in the future but i really want to upgeade my cpu ryzen 3 2200g to a ryzen 5 2600 first bc of fps issues on cpu intensive games 

again, it is hard to argue against one of the worlds best PSU reviewers..

but i would just upgrade the system, and then see.. if you get wierd issues, of the system just hard resetting, then i would just run the CPU Undervoltaged at stock speed, and lock the GPU for a lower boost until i got the $$$ for a new PSU..

my father´s pc has one of these VS550 psu´s or CX, on of the small Corsair units, the cheapest 550 i could find, he runs a 1060 6GB and a older i5 750 thats a 95watt TDP chip, older power hungry platform..

runs like a charm, and have been for many years. well it is a 45.x amp on 12V compared to the 43 amp on your psu.