Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romano

why my old moms PC is detecting SSD as IDE drive?

18 minutes ago, Romano said:

I bought her an SSD and for some reason it is showing up as IDE drive even when its connected to a SATA portspacer.png

the Mobo model is: g31m-es2l it should support sata 3

SATA III my arse. SATA II (3Gb/s) very likely. It's not unusual at all to get those two confused given that SATA II is 3Gb/s, but SATA III on a G31M board seems...unlikely. That board has an IDE port, and boards with IDE typically default to selecting IDE storage unless you manually change it to AHCI, which is probably "Enhanced" in your case. Changing it to Enhanced might speed things up, but even if it does you'd have to do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows from the ground up, and then you have to ask yourself to what end? If your mom's already happy with the PC and isn't complaining about it taking forever to boot--and that's about the only thing an SSD in a SATA II port will make a noticeable difference with--you'd be doing more harm than good by nuking her system in pursuit of shaving a few seconds off the boot time.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought her an SSD and for some reason it is showing up as IDE drive even when its connected to a SATA portspacer.png

Screenshot_1.jpg.a5411ce00baeed6aac4c8e08a606d1d8.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg.e0b509c4764467e84acf6729df6b5d84.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.1ad0dda938983f17ff1196309d9a8ee7.jpg

IMG_20190827_172903.jpg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

4 minutes ago, Romano said:

Has to be some setting in the bios, you could try updating the bios maybe, but that board is pretty ancient.

Is it running windows 7? make sure that TRIM is enabled for the SSD to increase it's life span.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Has to be some setting in the bios, you could try updating the bios maybe, but that board is pretty ancient.

Is it running windows 7? make sure that TRIM is enabled for the SSD to increase it's life span.

she was running W7 but I installed W10 its pretty snappy for what she does, only youtube and bank transactions

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

"On-Chip SATA Mode: [Auto]"

Change that to AHCI. You will probably need to reinstall windows, or find a tutorial on how to enable the AHCI driver on a windows installed, installed on IDE mod.

3 minutes ago, Romano said:

she was running W7 but I installed W10 its pretty snappy for what she does, only youtube and bank transactions, how do you enable TRIM?

It doesn't matter if it's windows 10 now, just google it for win7 if it ever comes up.

If it's already fast enough I wouldn't really bother trying to "fix" it then.

What's the speed from Crystal Disk Mark?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Could be that the board is running the SATA ports in IDE mode, seeing as the BIOS says the on-chip SATA mode is just auto.

If that's actually the case you'd need to reinstall windows though, since that's really just the easiest way around it.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

"On-Chip SATA Mode: [Auto]"

Change that to AHCI. You will probably need to reinstall windows, or find a tutorial on how to enable the AHCI driver on a windows installed, installed on IDE mod.

there's no AHCI option, just auto, combined, enhanced and disabled, I tried all options which end into BSO when booting

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

Just now, flibberdipper said:

Could be that the board is running the SATA ports in IDE mode, seeing as the BIOS says the on-chip SATA mode is just auto.

If that's actually the case you'd need to reinstall windows though, since that's really just the easiest way around it.

I don't have a problem to reinstall windows, but if I do it right now it will stay in IDE, how do I change it to Sata? this motherboard doesn't seem to have the option in the Bios to change that

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

I believe early SATA chipsets just emulated IDE, so AHCI is probably not an option.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

6 minutes ago, Romano said:

I don't have a problem to reinstall windows, but if I do it right now it will stay in IDE, how do I change it to Sata? this motherboard doesn't seem to have the option in the Bios to change that

What does the SSD score in Crystal Disk Mark? If it's already fast I'd just leave it alone.

Spoiler

I tried these options but the result is BSO when the Windows booting screen is loading

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-28 at 10.02.06 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-28 at 10.02.05 PM.jpeg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

Posted · Best Answer
18 minutes ago, Romano said:

SATA III my arse. SATA II (3Gb/s) very likely. It's not unusual at all to get those two confused given that SATA II is 3Gb/s, but SATA III on a G31M board seems...unlikely. That board has an IDE port, and boards with IDE typically default to selecting IDE storage unless you manually change it to AHCI, which is probably "Enhanced" in your case. Changing it to Enhanced might speed things up, but even if it does you'd have to do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows from the ground up, and then you have to ask yourself to what end? If your mom's already happy with the PC and isn't complaining about it taking forever to boot--and that's about the only thing an SSD in a SATA II port will make a noticeable difference with--you'd be doing more harm than good by nuking her system in pursuit of shaving a few seconds off the boot time.

Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 500GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 500GB Toshiba (Dell OEM) M.2 NVMe - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB "OEM Special" craptastic DDR4-2400 with a stunning green PCB - 256GB Adata M.2 NVMe - Silverstone SF450 - ABS R206-ITX (worst/best case ever) - Wraith Spire

Banzai - i7-6700T - MSI RX 550 LP - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU (loud af) - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Cryorig C7

Ok Boomer - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - Western Digital Black 1TB HDD - Corsair SF600 - Athenatech A100BB - Rosewill RCX-Z300

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What does the SSD score in Crystal Disk Mark? If it's already fast I'd just leave it alone.

Kingston 120GB A400 SATA 3 2.5"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I checked the reviews and their numbers seem to be way higher than mine

Amazon is merging the M.2 with SATA 3 reviews

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-28 at 10.12.36 PM (1).jpeg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

1 minute ago, Romano said:

Those speeds seem perfectly fine given that it's a really old motherboard.

It's still faster than a hard drive would be.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

why? because GOTTAGOFAST

but you might be right, her monitor is pretty slow to turn on, I think the system boots faster than the monitor but that IDE thing was making me think if its a bottleneck

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

37 minutes ago, Romano said:

Should be the enhanced setting in the on-chip SATA settings to force AHCI. Though it sure looks like it's running in AHCI as it is considering the speeds you're getting are well above what IDE's spec was theoretically capable of.

it supports sata 3gb/s, which is Sata revision II. 

my main system is from a similar era, and mine does this too:

Capture.PNG.4f3f1ac2b80505c289c44af93c2a34a8.PNG

so it's either Windows not detecting something or a setting in thew bios that's limiiting it to ata speeds, but you can check that. do a speed test and if it gets 150mb/s or higher it's running on sata. if it's 133 or lower it's emulating IDE. 

They/Them 

Phone: Nokia 7.2 | 128GB | Android

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 7360U | Iris 640 | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD | macOS

Gaming PC: Asus Prime Z370-P | Core i3-8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper | Windows 10

Of course you get BSOD when enabling AHCI - this is the fix: https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/how-to-enable-ahci-mode-in-windows-10/#Method_2_Enable_AHCI_Mode_via_CMD

I would use method 2: CMD

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Of course you get BSOD when enabling AHCI - this is the fix: https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/how-to-enable-ahci-mode-in-windows-10/#Method_2_Enable_AHCI_Mode_via_CMD

I would use method 2: CMD

Interesting. Do you know if Method 2 requires to reinstall Windows?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

19 hours ago, Romano said:

Interesting. Do you know if Method 2 requires to reinstall Windows?

It doesn't.. Non of the methods do.. Its the same thing just in different places. But you need to do it in the right order. I would recommend enabling ahci to get trim working.

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup