Windows 10 task manager weird behaviour

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
Just now, Deathstreams said:

So basically this issue is redundant, and has no known fix?

Well, no known fix in the sense that I don't know exactly what Windows uses to poll for CPU speed. However, even if I did know, I don't think there would be a way to fix it depending on what Windows is using to source data. If there's something wrong with the hardware for instance, then there's nothing Windows can do about it.

BEFORE I START:

• I have posted on multiple tech sites already, got no useful answers, let alone getting "HAHAUSELINUX"-ed.

Basically, I've recently bought an Intel Core i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) system (Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard, and a Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce graphics card). It had no installed drives, so I added my own 1TB Toshiba drive to it, did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. So far so good, added my MS account, installed my generic software, customized it to my liking a bit with dark mode and stuff. While running Cinebench R20 from Microsoft Store, I decided to pull up task manager to look at the CPU frequency - little to my surprise, the CPU was reported to have a base frequency of 5,9GHz and currently running at 6 GHz, said by task manager. It's most likely some windows related problem, as CPU-Z and Intel XTU both get the proper readings, it's just task manager not getting something right.

If anyone has dealt with this kind of stuff before, please let me know if you ever got it fixed.

Task manager screenshot attached below.

Thanks for any attemps of help in advance.

photo_2019-08-28_20-06-26.jpg

CPU speed at the application level can be attained in various ways. CPU-z and Intel's XTU probably have a specific way of probing for CPU speed, whereas Task Manager likely relies on a Windows API call, which has to be generic to support as many processors as possible.

So I would argue in this case, something buggered up the way Windows determines CPU speed.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

CPU speed at the application level can be attained in various ways. CPU-z and Intel's XTU probably have a specific way of probing for CPU speed, whereas Task Manager likely relies on a Windows API call, which has to be generic to support as many processors as possible.

So I would argue in this case, something buggered up the way Windows determines CPU speed.

Just now, Deathstreams said:

Well, no known fix in the sense that I don't know exactly what Windows uses to poll for CPU speed. However, even if I did know, I don't think there would be a way to fix it depending on what Windows is using to source data. If there's something wrong with the hardware for instance, then there's nothing Windows can do about it.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Well in that case, thanks anyway for at least letting me know that it's not a mistery error rather it's known, and extra for not HAHAUSELINUX-ing.

16 minutes ago, Deathstreams said:

5,9GHz and currently running at 6 GHz,

I've experienced this error with a 2700K Haven't had it with a 3570K or my current 5820K.

Could be something to do with how the 2700K reported it's maximum multiplier. You'll see in CPU-Z that it reports a multiplier up to 59 in the CPU clock speed box whenever you're running stock settings. Unless it's been patched in more recent versions of CPU-Z.

Definately was quite the sight to see though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Uncle billy doesn't care about his taskman.  It shows incorrectly for lots of people.  Mines has been incorrect since 2015 when blows10 came out........

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Uncle billy doesn't care about his taskman.  It shows incorrectly for lots of people.  Mines been in correct since 2015 when blows10 came out........

How many is "lots of people?" Windows has a userbase of like 1 billion users. Even 1 million people is less than a percent.

Besides that, it's important to consider something here. What's the name of the application called? Task Manager. I would argue that given its name and the way information is presented, a hardware monitoring/profiling too is a secondary feature it just happens to have simply because it's already pinging a lot of stuff about the hardware already. i.e., it's useful for getting a rough estimate of system health and status, but it shouldn't be used as a deep profiling tool.

I mean the biggest tell-tell sign of this is the fact that normal users can run Task Manager without elevating permissions. The only thing that changes when you do run Task Manager with elevated privileges is you can kill other people's tasks. Most other hardware profiling/monitoring tools require elevated privileges to get the complete picture.

This is why you don't use windows task manager for looking at your CPU frequency.

If you want the real frequency use a proper tool like hwinfo or CPUZ.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

How many is "lots of people?" Windows has a userbase of like 1 billion users. Even 1 million people is less than a percent.

Besides that, it's important to consider something here. What's the name of the application called? Task Manager. I would argue that given its name and the way information is presented, a hardware monitoring/profiling too is a secondary feature it just happens to have simply because it's already pinging a lot of stuff about the hardware already. i.e., it's useful for getting a rough estimate of system health and status, but it shouldn't be used as a deep profiling tool.

I mean the biggest tell-tell sign of this is the fact that normal users can run Task Manager without elevating permissions. The only thing that changes when you do run Task Manager with elevated privileges is you can kill other people's tasks. Most other hardware profiling/monitoring tools require elevated privileges to get the complete picture.

Good one, honestly its like the 1803 bug that would delete files,, and bring back deleted files and they halted the April 1809 and it took them 3 shots to fix the bugs and mess they made and 1809 was solid then.  However there are weird issues still for lots of people when I say a lot Im talking millions of people experienced the horror that was the first 1809 release, second one was pulled.  It brought back deleted files for me lol,, Also people have lots of sleep issues.  I mean I cant say what amount of people experience the incorrect value in taskman because mine shows incorrect and my old mans 9900k rig says it wrong and so did his Sandy Bridge before that.

millions upon millions and more millions have their taskman show incorrectly.  

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Good one, honestly its like the 1803 bug that would delete files,, and bring back deleted files and they halted the April 1809 and it took them 3 shots to fix the bugs and mess they made and 1809 was solid then.  However there are weird issues still for lots of people when I say a lot Im talking millions of people experienced the horror that was the first 1809 release, second one was pulled.  It brought back deleted files for me lol,, Also people have lots of sleep issues.  I mean I cant say what amount of people experience the incorrect value in taskman because mine shows incorrect and my old mans 9900k rig says it wrong and so did his Sandy Bridge before that.

millions upon millions and more millions have their taskman show incorrectly.  

You know, if there are show stopping bugs like that, fixing what Task Manager reads to provide a higher chance of accurate statistics should be on the bottom of the bucket list.

Have had that issue in the past, too. MSI H81 board and a G3258 would show as running at 7GHz or so