Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aliairstinger

Samsung DeX Laptop Concept

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi Everyone,

So i just had an idea to make a laptop dock for the samsung galaxy note 9 and 10 series. What kind of components would i need and is this a good idea?

That ultra slim screen that Linus just did a video on would work nicely for this: 

Other than the screen, you probably need a USB hub (and a keyboard/mouse or keyboard/trackpad combo thing) and a power bank to power it. (Linus did a similar concept in that video but it wasn't in a laptop form factor, just on the table)

Current:
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper (Gaming):
- CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.8Ghz all cores

- GPU: Reference RX Vega 64
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz
- Storage: 256GB Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Black HDD
- Displays: Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Precision M6700 (Daily):

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.4GHz all cores
- dGPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM (MXM RX 480 coming)

- eGPU: MSI Armour RX 480 4GB (Retired)
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x 1TB WD Black HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display With 120Hz Input Mod! (Also Retired)

Dell Poweredge R720 (Server):
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 @ 3.6Ghz all cores
RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) @ 1333Mhz

Storage: 1x Intel 160GB SATA III SSD, 15x Seagate SAS Enterprise 1TB HDD in RAID 6

7 minutes ago, Aliairstinger said:

will that work with the note series? also, i was thinking of it like the razer project linda.

Not sure, I watched a video of someone using it with a s10 so I guess it should work. 

y'all need to poop more often.

Easy, just buy a Tab S4 or S5e with a keyboard cover

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I would love to see @LinusTech to review the http://nexdock.com/

This is not an original idea, but not a bad Idea.

The Nexdock isn't perfect, certainly not close enough for me to spend my money on it, but the hardware is an affordable adapter for a phone, and could be another step before a name brand decides to approach this idea again.