Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Francis O.

50 second delay (fresh boot ryzen 5 3600)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there...

 

I just purchased a my very first customized desktop. I have a concern about the boot time...

When i turn it on. All the lights and fans in the desktop lights up but the motherboard takes around 50 seconds for it to light up. Once it turns on, its really fast to go to my start up page like less than 10 seconds. I was wondering why it takes around 50 seconds for my motherboard to boot up?

 

When they were building my system. They used a ryzen 5 2600 to update the BIOS of the board so that it can be compatible with the new ryzen 3600. Is it the BIOS thats causing the 50 second delay? Here are my specs..

 

Motherboard: aorus b450 pro

Cpu: ryzen 5 3600

Gpu: gigabyte aorus gtx 1660 ti

Memory: 2x8 gb consair vengeance rgb

Storage: 512 gb adata m.2 nvme

Casing: Cougar puritas mid tower rgb

Psu: corsair 650w

 

Hope someone can enlighten me... thanks so much in advance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you enable fast boot ect... on the Motherboard? 


CPU:i7 9700k 4.9Ghz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3500Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, SSD mushkin chronos 120GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK600-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung P2470HD 3rd: Samsung SyncMaster 24", Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014 Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you hear any beeping or lights flashing on the motherboard? There is probably an issue the motherboard is trying to tell you, take a look in your manual. If I had to make some random (typical) guesses I would say the one of your RAM sticks is not in all the way or you have you RAM in the wrong slots. Maybe also a bad CPU cooler mount, or a power cable is not in all the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, Cyberdyne_ said:

Do you hear any beeping or lights flashing on the motherboard? There is probably an issue the motherboard is trying to tell you, take a look in your manual. If I had to make some random (typical) guesses I would say the one of your RAM sticks is not in all the way or you have you RAM in the wrong slots. Maybe also a bad CPU cooler mount, or a power cable is not in all the way.

Hello, all slots are properly plugged in. No blinking also. And the computer works perfectly. Ive been gaming on it for like two weeks now and no issues. My only concern is the delay in boot time when i turn it on. When i restrt my pc. It takes only 10 seconds. So no issue in that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I would like to add also that there is a red light(not blinking) at the lower right of the motherboard. It disappears when before the motherboard lights up.  Anybody knows what that means?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Francis O. said:

I would like to add also that there is a red light(not blinking) at the lower right of the motherboard. It disappears when before the motherboard lights up.  Anybody knows what that means?

It might be the POST debug LEDs. It's worth checking the motherboard manual.

 

Typically, motherboards will have a couple of LEDs (corresponding to stuff like CPU, RAM, VGA, and boot, as an example) which the motherboard will run through during POST and if there is an issue normally one of these lights will stay on, or blink or whatever to signal an issue is present.


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long has it ben since the machine was built? Update the B450 chipset driver, get it from AMD, not the MOBO manufacturer, and update the BIOS as well if it's not the latest.


Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Ghz Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Watercooled MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

 

Xeon X5680, X58 Sabertooth, 24GB KLEVV 1600Mhz , Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, GeLi said:

It might be the POST debug LEDs. It's worth checking the motherboard manual.

 

Typically, motherboards will have a couple of LEDs (corresponding to stuff like CPU, RAM, VGA, and boot, as an example) which the motherboard will run through during POST and if there is an issue normally one of these lights will stay on, or blink or whatever to signal an issue is present.

What happens is, its a solid red light. It dissapears once the mobo lights up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, asand1 said:

How long has it ben since the machine was built? Update the B450 chipset driver, get it from AMD, not the MOBO manufacturer, and update the BIOS as well if it's not the latest.

Im sorry, im not really a techi guy. How do i know if the bios is the latest one? How do i determine which chipset to download? Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Francis O. said:

What happens is, its a solid red light. It dissapears once the mobo lights up. 

What does that light correspond to according to the motherboard manual?


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, GeLi said:

What does that light correspond to according to the motherboard manual?

Hello again. So i checked which red light it correspends to. Its in DRAM, then goes to CPU for like a spilt second then goes back to DRAM. No idea about this

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Francis O. said:

Hello again. So i checked which red light it correspends to. Its in DRAM, then goes to CPU for like a spilt second then goes back to DRAM. No idea about this

That indicates that there may be a RAM problem. Try experimenting by removing one of the RAM sticks and then starting up your PC. See how it reacts and then do the same with the other. It may be one or both of your RAM stick being faulty.


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read the responses:

 

If its booting, but its cycling through the DRAM it means it doesn't actually like your frequency/timings, and that it WILL post - most of the time.

 

My 2 cents - happens on my Ryzen Rig 2 in sig because neither the mobo nor the cpu actually want/like 3600mhz.  Until I clock it down to whats accepted by the CPU (first gen 2667mhz max).  Same thing happens on my Ryzen Rig 1 @ 3200mhz, sometimes - this actually takes the first cold boot almost always though.


Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Francis O. said:

Hello again. So i checked which red light it correspends to. Its in DRAM, then goes to CPU for like a spilt second then goes back to DRAM. No idea about this

Hei, so ive got a ryzen 1600x along with AB350 gigabyte motherboard. Mine did exactly the same thing after i overclocked my ram (to its specifications). In fact mine would just do the blinking until I forced it to use the back-up bios. I got so annoyed by it that i ended up shorting my primary bios with a piece of wire. Thereby taking the risk of ruining my motherboard completely. 

 

Now it only tries the broken bios after it has lost all power and will rather quickly (in 10-20 sec) revert back to the back-up bios. 

 

Thus, if its anything like mine, its a currupt bios. If it still posts, try overwriting it. Mine wouldn't post so i couldnt overwrite it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
42 minutes ago, GeLi said:

That indicates that there may be a RAM problem. Try experimenting by removing one of the RAM sticks and then starting up your PC. See how it reacts and then do the same with the other. It may be one or both of your RAM stick being faulty.

Alright ill experiment on this. But the thing is. When they were assembling my desktop. While updating the other bios. It didnt have that problem. Only started when the bios was updated to be compatible with ryzen 5 3600

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
52 minutes ago, GeLi said:

That indicates that there may be a RAM problem. Try experimenting by removing one of the RAM sticks and then starting up your PC. See how it reacts and then do the same with the other. It may be one or both of your RAM stick being faulty.

Hey there, it got fixed. I changed the slot of the RAMS to the other slots. And it worked. But does that mean that the previous slots have problems?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So now upon pressing the power button. It takes around 30 sec for it boot up to windows. Is that ok? Or still too slow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Francis O. said:

Hey there, it got fixed. I changed the slot of the RAMS to the other slots. And it worked. But does that mean that the previous slots have problems?

How many RAM sticks are there? And were they slotted right next to each other or did they have an empty slot between them?


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, GeLi said:

How many RAM sticks are there? And were they slotted right next to each other or did they have an empty slot between them?

In total i have 4 slots. At first they were slotted right to each other in the left side. So i changed them both the right side. And yes they are still beside each other.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Francis O. said:

In total i have 4 slots. At first they were slotted right to each other in the left side. So i changed them both the right side. And yes they are still beside each other.  

They should be apart with one empty slot inbetween them.. The MB book will tell you which 2 slots to use with 2 modules.   

 

Looking up your board from what i can tell from other posts, they should be in slots labelled 1 and 2 with the RAM slot numbering from left to right being 4-2-3-1

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Francis O. said:

In total i have 4 slots. At first they were slotted right to each other in the left side. So i changed them both the right side. And yes they are still beside each other.  

As @Allan B said, more often than not RAM sticks should be placed with one slot in between them. Normally the four RAM slots are organised into two memory channels (or dual channel memory as it's often referred to) and it's better to allocate one RAM stick to each channel when inserting only two RAM sticks into the motherboard so that the memory controller can access the RAM quicker than if you saturate one channel whilst the other is empty. 

 

So, once again refer to your motherboard manual and check to see where they should be placed specifically:

 

image.png.552aa7e27983efeb3713b696f5e68b50.png


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, GeLi said:

As @Allan B said, more often than not RAM sticks should be placed with one slot in between them. Normally the four RAM slots are organised into two memory channels (or dual channel memory as it's often referred to) and it's better to allocate one RAM stick to each channel when inserting only two RAM sticks into the motherboard so that the memory controller can access the RAM quicker than if you saturate one channel whilst the other is empty. 

 

So, once again refer to your motherboard manual and check to see where they should be placed specifically:

 

image.png.552aa7e27983efeb3713b696f5e68b50.png

Thanks a bunch. Ill do that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, GeLi said:

As @Allan B said, more often than not RAM sticks should be placed with one slot in between them. Normally the four RAM slots are organised into two memory channels (or dual channel memory as it's often referred to) and it's better to allocate one RAM stick to each channel when inserting only two RAM sticks into the motherboard so that the memory controller can access the RAM quicker than if you saturate one channel whilst the other is empty. 

 

So, once again refer to your motherboard manual and check to see where they should be placed specifically:

 

image.png.552aa7e27983efeb3713b696f5e68b50.png

Hello there again. So i saw the socket numbers for the RAM. Its 4231. I tried to do socket 1 and 2. Still taking around 55 seconds and 15 seconds for the mobo to light up and 15 seconds to go to windows. As for using socket 1 and 3. It takes 10 seconds for the mobo to light up and another another 20 seconds to totally open windows. So 30 seconds for a fresh boot on an 512gb m.2 nvme

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So is it worth noting that my 512gb m.2 is already half occupied and im using kapersky thats why its taking 30 seconds to fully boot?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Francis O. said:

Hello there again. So i saw the socket numbers for the RAM. Its 4231. I tried to do socket 1 and 2. Still taking around 55 seconds and 15 seconds for the mobo to light up and 15 seconds to go to windows. As for using socket 1 and 3. It takes 10 seconds for the mobo to light up and another another 20 seconds to totally open windows. So 30 seconds for a fresh boot on an 512gb m.2 nvme

Then use sockets 1 and 3. It's fine if the computer takes 30 seconds to boot. I think some motherboards bios' have a "fast boot" option that may help but it's often better to leave it as it is just in case you need to access the bios in the future more easily, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too much with that.


Ryzen Personal Build

 Ryzen 7 3700X | NH-D15S | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 2x8Gb 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | nVidia RTX 2070 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb | Seagate Barracude 2Tb | Phanteks Eclipse P600s | Acer Nitro VG240YU

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×