Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrMeowstache03

Dell laptop won’t boot, keeps trying to do an automatic repair.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, I have this old Dell laptop that had windows 8.1 on it and I was tired of how freaking slow it was so I wanted to install windows 10 on it. The system was pretty much unusable so I formatted the hdd, got a bootable usb drive with the windows 10 installer on it and tried to install windows. But whenever I turn my laptop on and try to boot from the usb drive it completely ignores my choice and goes into this automatic repair mode and try’s it’s best to recover the old windows, but there isn’t anything on the hard drive so idk why it’s doing this. I’ve been googling this issue for a while now and can’t find a solution to my problem. If you guys have any tips or advice I would great appreciate it. :) Also I’m somewhat new here and I wasn’t 100% sure if this is where I should post this problem, so feel free to yell at me for posting in the wrong section.??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you set the USB stick as a permanent first choice in the BIOS? Sometimes boot overriding doesn't work for no/some reason.

Also, could you perhaps test the stick on a different computer? Just to see if it launches the installer to detect whether the issue is the USB stick or the laptop.


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Have you set the USB stick as a permanent first choice in the BIOS? Sometimes boot overriding doesn't work for no/some reason.

Also, could you perhaps test the stick on a different computer? Just to see if it launches the installer to detect whether the issue is the USB stick or the laptop.

Well I set the usb drive to boot first but then it just instantly goes to the automatic repair. I recently used the usb drive to install windows on my desktop so I don’t think it’s the usb’s fault.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrMeowstache03 said:

Well I set the usb drive to boot first but then it just instantly goes to the automatic repair. I recently used the usb drive to install windows on my desktop so I don’t think it’s the usb’s fault.

Does it also go to the automatic repair without the USB drive?


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's booting the recovery partition.

 

When you are not concerned with the data and are reloading the OS, all disk operations (deleting partitions, creating partitions) are done during setup.  Just because you "formatted" the drive doesn't mean you wiped all the partitions.  Start setup from the USB, delete all the partitions, and click next> let it do it's thing.

 

You are going to have to go into bios.  Have the USB inserted. Shutdown the laptop, turn on the laptop and start pounding F2.  Set the USB device as first on the uefi boot order.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, F___M said:

it's booting the recovery partition.

 

When you are not concerned with the data and are reloading the OS, all disk operations (deleting partitions, creating partitions) are done during setup.  Just because you "formatted" the drive doesn't mean you wiped all the partitions.  Start setup from the USB, delete all the partitions, and click next> let it do it's thing.

 

You are going to have to go into bios.  Have the USB inserted. Shutdown the laptop, turn on the laptop and start pounding F2.  Set the USB device as first on the uefi boot order.

 

 

Okay I will try that when I get back to my laptop, thanks for the help my dude??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, F___M said:

OK. You can also try F12 and see if it gives you a boot menu.

Yeah that’s what I was doing before was just mashing F12 and trying to boot from the usb

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×