Help New PC keeps restarting at...Random behaviour

Go to solution Solved by BatCat,

I tried a different power supply and it worked flawlessly, kinda weird when I think about why it was having problems only with windows. makes you think what happends in the background that makes the PSU crash when trying to boot it

Hello Everyone and good evening!

I just built a new PC and I can't figured it out why it keeps restarting and doesn't boot at all.

I installed windows 10 (May update 1903) in my SSD (Crucial P1 Nvme SSD 500 GB) using an USB flash drive it get pass through the first setup where you choose where to install it, partition, copies the files etc.. but when the pc restarts to initialize the configuration of the OS the PC randomly restarts,gets stuck  sometimes at the "Getting ready" screen or at the " let's start with region. Is this right?", Its an endless loop and dont know what to do.

PC works fine at the BIOS configuration, I tried running the PC with only 1 memory stick, no XMP profile, also default optimized configuration from the BIOS. Also Tried to boot from a preinstalled Windows 10 from USB and still nothing... I even tried to "Reset" the windows from the recovery menu and after that the same issue persist.

Here are my parts;

CPU i7 9700K

500 GB  Crucial P1 SSD Nvme

Gigabyte Aorus Elite (Bios version F8)

NZXT Kraken M2 AIO

16 GB RAM (2x8) Corsair vengeance 3200 MHZ

Corsair CX750M PSU

Plz help :C

I recommend grabbing another usb drive and installing a light weight linux OS with a gui and checking for stability. If it runs stabily you know the problem is not your hardware but instead software. Possibly Windows or driver issue.

Install Windows on a different drive to see if it solves the problem

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

13 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Install Windows on a different drive to see if it solves the problem

Already did that. Still reboots, now it's really random sometimes it doesn't even starts windows setup , other times start copying files and suddenly restarts :/

Just now, BatCat said:

Already did that. Still reboots, now it's really random sometimes it doesn't even starts windows setup , other times start copying files and suddenly restarts :/

Try testing each component with software:

CPU: Use Prime95

RAM: Use Memtest64

Tell us if you get any errors or warnings with those test.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Try testing each component with software:

CPU: Use Prime95

RAM: Use Memtest64

Tell us if you get any errors or warnings with those test.

I will see what I can do. I don't have any other PC around to do those kind of tests

Just now, BatCat said:

I will see what I can do. I don't have any other PC around to do those kind of tests

Use the tests on the computer you are having problems with.

Download Prime95 and Memtest64,it's software.

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Use the tests on the computer you are having problems with.

Download Prime95 and Memtest64,it's software.

I'm not getting what you are saying, I can't boot my PC. How am I supposed to use this software?

7 minutes ago, BatCat said:

I'm not getting what you are saying, I can't boot my PC. How am I supposed to use this software?

Forget it,

Could be an improper installation of the AIO,What is the temperature in the BIOS?

33 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Forget it,

Could be an improper installation of the AIO,What is the temperature in the BIOS?

I just checked my PSU cables/AIO and everything seems fine.

I tried to start windows in safe mode via the recovery tool and it kinda booted to the settings but it's kinda buggy and eventually it rebooted. 

I noticed that when it reboots the  CPU RED led on the Mobo lights up for a second. I checked the CPU even took it out and I put it back again with the cooler. 

CPU tempts are around 38C 

Okay, now for some reason I can kinda navigate past towards the setup, but at some random point it reboots. I was able to set my username account and password before it rebooted again 

Additionally whenever I turn on the PC the CPU then RAM then VGA and then BOOT LED's flashes. I don't know if that's the normal behavior since the Manual of the Mobo only indicates that when it flashes there is something anormal. Ir doesn't say anything about sequences or anything else 

9 hours ago, BatCat said:

Additionally whenever I turn on the PC the CPU then RAM then VGA and then BOOT LED's flashes. I don't know if that's the normal behavior since the Manual of the Mobo only indicates that when it flashes there is something anormal. Ir doesn't say anything about sequences or anything else 

Try a different Windows image on the USB,

Does your system work fine with a different operating system?

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Try a different Windows image on the USB,

Does your system work fine with a different operating system?

I tried 2 different ones and nothing. I even tried to boot it from the USB with no hardrive and it reboots right when the "loading circle dots appears" on the screen.

I'm honestly out of ideas, I will borrow another CPU from a friend (an 8th gen i7) ylto try and see if it boots. If it doesn't  I think I will call the Mobo as DOA

2 hours ago, BatCat said:

I tried 2 different ones and nothing. I even tried to boot it from the USB with no hardrive and it reboots right when the "loading circle dots appears" on the screen.

I'm honestly out of ideas, I will borrow another CPU from a friend (an 8th gen i7) ylto try and see if it boots. If it doesn't  I think I will call the Mobo as DOA

I just tried with another RAM module I had around, still same issue. 

Still waiting for my friend to try the other CPU

Couldn't get a new CPU to try more scenarios..... BUT!

I tried to run Linux mint and it randomly did boot 1 time on compatibility Mode and 1 time on normal mode. While it was working it did not rebooted the PC. But after that it was a hit or miss, mostly did not boot on normal mode but on compatibily, I ran inxi -Fzx on linux mint to check and every piece of hardware appeared safe and sound.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, BatCat said:

Couldn't get a new CPU to try more scenarios..... BUT!

I tried to run Linux mint and it randomly did boot 1 time on compatibility Mode and 1 time on normal mode. While it was working it did not rebooted the PC. But after that it was a hit or miss, mostly did not boot on normal mode but on compatibily, I ran inxi -Fzx on linux mint to check and every piece of hardware appeared safe and sound.

Any ideas?

I just installed Linux Mint on the SSD , boots , reboots and shutdowns normally and everything works fine even loading YouTube 4K videos.

What am I dealing with here? :(

I tried a different power supply and it worked flawlessly, kinda weird when I think about why it was having problems only with windows. makes you think what happends in the background that makes the PSU crash when trying to boot it

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, BatCat said:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I usually only hang out in the PSU sub-forum.

I've seen this issue too.  Only with the newest BIOS.  I rolled back from F8 to F6 and now it works.  Still trying to figure out what is freaking out the PSU when Windows boots.  But perfectly good CX750M's are not working with Gigabyte Z300 series boards with the newest BIOS until further notice.

21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

But perfectly good CX750M's are not working with Gigabyte Z300 series boards with the newest BIOS until further notice.

Issue only confirmed so far on CX750M?

I ask because I have a Z390 Gigabyte Gaming X board running Bios F7 , on a Corsair TX750v2 (Enthusiast, yellow-label).  So perhaps I won't be in any hurry to update to F8.

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Issue only confirmed so far on CX750M?

I ask because I have a Z390 Gigabyte Gaming X board running Bios F7 , on a Corsair TX750v2 (Enthusiast, Orange label).  So perhaps I won't be in any hurry to update to F8.

Only CX750M and CX850M (same platform).   

What I've witnessed is that the board is sending negative current back to the PSU.  The PSU senses this and trips one of the protections.

Not sure why Gigabyte's boards are sending power back from the board to the PSU (as high as 30W!), but I can't imagine it's good for the PSU.

I measure the negative current with other PSUs used, just that those PSUs don't protect when it happens.

Also, it still happens with the older BIOS's if you use the IGP.  If your use a discrete card it works fine.