Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EJOE

Computer worked during testing but not in case

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello. I tested a GTX 1060 6gb, a Ryzen 1700x, 8gbs of ripjaws ram, and an MSI B350M Gaming Pro mobo outside of its case (Coolermaster Masterbox Q300L). And it booted right up to the bios. But once I put it in the case i don’t have a display anymore. The only addition is an ssd that I put in. The motherboard also came in slightly damaged from shipping but again,  it worked when tested. I’m not really sure what to test or do to get a display at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, EJOE said:

Hello. I tested a GTX 1060 6gb, a Ryzen 1700x, 8gbs of ripjaws ram, and an MSI B350M Gaming Pro mobo outside of its case (Coolermaster Masterbox Q300L). And it booted right up to the bios. But once I put it in the case i don’t have a display anymore. The only addition is an ssd that I put in. The motherboard also came in slightly damaged from shipping but again,  it worked when tested. I’m not really sure what to test or do to get a display at this point. 

I should probably also mention that I’m also not getting display from the onboard graphics and my keyboard and mouse aren’t getting any power 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics, you must use the graphics cards output.

Even when I use the gpu output it still doesn’t show display 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are all power connectors plugged in deep enough? Are there not any extra standoffs that may be shorting the motherboard? Is the motherboard not tightened too much making it bend somewhere? Does it work when you put the motherboard out of the case again? (ok that's lots of effort maybe wait with that for a sec if you don't feel like it - if doing this I'd recommend you to just leave your PSU in place and put the motherboard near the back side of your case so you can use the cables from there. :D)


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Are all power connectors plugged in deep enough? Are there not any extra standoffs that may be shorting the motherboard? Is the motherboard not tightened too much making it bend somewhere? Does it work when you put the motherboard out of the case again? (ok that's lots of effort maybe wait with that for a sec if you don't feel like it - if doing this I'd recommend you to just leave your PSU in place and put the motherboard near the back side of your case so you can use the cables from there. :D)

I’ll do that soon. I’m not home atm. But I was thinking that maybe the gpu isn’t plugged into its pcie slot all the way. Because the “lock” that clicks in the gpu is broken off. I’m not sure how I’d fix that or if that is even the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EJOE said:

I’ll do that soon. I’m not home atm. But I was thinking that maybe the gpu isn’t plugged into its pcie slot all the way. Because the “lock” that clicks in the gpu is broken off. I’m not sure how I’d fix that or if that is even the issue.

If you think that this is the issue, look carefully at the PCIe slot (perhaps with the help of a phone camera (on recording if you can't see it)) to see if you can see any gold. If so, it's not plugged in fully. If you can't see any gold, it should be fine, but a reseat could help either way! :)


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

If you think that this is the issue, look carefully at the PCIe slot (perhaps with the help of a phone camera (on recording if you can't see it)) to see if you can see any gold. If so, it's not plugged in fully. If you can't see any gold, it should be fine, but a reseat could help either way! :)

There’s no gold showing other than the end of the gpu. But that’s normal. I’m probably going to take it out of the case and reseat all my standoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

If you think that this is the issue, look carefully at the PCIe slot (perhaps with the help of a phone camera (on recording if you can't see it)) to see if you can see any gold. If so, it's not plugged in fully. If you can't see any gold, it should be fine, but a reseat could help either way! :)

So I took the mobo out of the case with the gpu and the display turns back on. Maybe the gpu isn’t fully in when in the case?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EJOE said:

There’s no gold showing other than the end of the gpu. But that’s normal. I’m probably going to take it out of the case and reseat all my standoffs. 

What do you mean with "the end of the gpu"? Do you mean that weird yellowish thingy at the back? That should indeed be outside, but no other gold should be visible.

 

Can you carefully check if all the motherboard standoffs are in the right spot and tightened enough? No extras, none too few.


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

What do you mean with "the end of the gpu"? Do you mean that weird yellowish thingy at the back? That should indeed be outside, but no other gold should be visible.

 

Can you carefully check if all the motherboard standoffs are in the right spot and tightened enough? No extras, none too few.

Yeah the weird yellow piece. But I’ll do that right now and redo all the standoffs and screws 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Yeah the weird yellow piece. But I’ll do that right now and redo all the standoffs and screws 

Yup the weird yellow piece is indeed fine. :) You don't necessarily have to redo all the standoffs, just really carefully check if nothing is missing or too much. :)


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×