How to make grouped files go into their own folder?

Drkrinklez

I have a music folder in which tracks are sorted by artist. When grouping them into their own albums, is there a way to make them auto create a folder and put them in that folder? I have a little over 5000 tracks so doing this manually would take forever. 

MP3Tag can do this. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I use it for mass-tagging files, but it can be used to sort into directories as well. 

Select the directory with all your music, then press Ctrl + A to highlight all of the files. Click convert, then Tag - Filename.

In the text prompt that pops up, put %artist% \ %album% \ %title% and click okay. 

Note that the backslashes are important. By default it will put hyphens in, which will just rename the file and not put them in folders. 

Before:

image.png.3ca387c125c885fa9d3e731289a6ca64.png

After:

image.png.4656a2f14cacc954b7914e0df489056c.png

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

MP3Tag can do this. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I use it for mass-tagging files, but it can be used to sort into directories as well. 

Select the directory with all your music, then press Ctrl + A to highlight all of the files. Click convert, then Tag - Filename.

In the text prompt that pops up, put %artist% \ %album% \ %title% and click okay. 

Note that the backslashes are important. By default it will put hyphens in, which will just rename the file and not put them in folders. 

Before:

image.png.3ca387c125c885fa9d3e731289a6ca64.png

After:

image.png.4656a2f14cacc954b7914e0df489056c.png

Trying this now thank you. I have a lot of (kinda) unknown music so hopefully it tags correctly. 

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

Trying this now thank you. I have a lot of (kinda) unknown music so hopefully it tags correctly. 

It requires the tags to be set up. If they're not, I'm unsure how it will handle it. 

Give it a go and see how it works. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It requires the tags to be set up. If they're not, I'm unsure how it will handle it. 

Also I also mentioned that they are already in folders by artist. I just ctrl + A'ed all the folders and dragged them into the program. Its reading the directory right now.

39 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

All worked well! Thanks a ton!

If your music is untagged then you can try using picard. It needs a little configuration like setting up AccoustID. But it can scan & detect tags from Musicbrainz database.