Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drkrinklez

How to make grouped files go into their own folder?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a music folder in which tracks are sorted by artist. When grouping them into their own albums, is there a way to make them auto create a folder and put them in that folder? I have a little over 5000 tracks so doing this manually would take forever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

MP3Tag can do this. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

 

I use it for mass-tagging files, but it can be used to sort into directories as well. 

 

Select the directory with all your music, then press Ctrl + A to highlight all of the files. Click convert, then Tag - Filename.

 

In the text prompt that pops up, put %artist% \ %album% \ %title% and click okay. 

 

Note that the backslashes are important. By default it will put hyphens in, which will just rename the file and not put them in folders. 

 

Before:

 

image.png.3ca387c125c885fa9d3e731289a6ca64.png

 

After:

image.png.4656a2f14cacc954b7914e0df489056c.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

MP3Tag can do this. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

 

I use it for mass-tagging files, but it can be used to sort into directories as well. 

 

Select the directory with all your music, then press Ctrl + A to highlight all of the files. Click convert, then Tag - Filename.

 

In the text prompt that pops up, put %artist% \ %album% \ %title% and click okay. 

 

Note that the backslashes are important. By default it will put hyphens in, which will just rename the file and not put them in folders. 

 

Before:

 

image.png.3ca387c125c885fa9d3e731289a6ca64.png

 

After:

image.png.4656a2f14cacc954b7914e0df489056c.png

Trying this now thank you. I have a lot of (kinda) unknown music so hopefully it tags correctly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drkrinklez said:

Trying this now thank you. I have a lot of (kinda) unknown music so hopefully it tags correctly. 

It requires the tags to be set up. If they're not, I'm unsure how it will handle it. 

 

Give it a go and see how it works. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It requires the tags to be set up. If they're not, I'm unsure how it will handle it. 

 

Give it a go and see how it works. 

Also I also mentioned that they are already in folders by artist. I just ctrl + A'ed all the folders and dragged them into the program. Its reading the directory right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
39 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It requires the tags to be set up. If they're not, I'm unsure how it will handle it. 

 

Give it a go and see how it works. 

All worked well! Thanks a ton!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your music is untagged then you can try using picard. It needs a little configuration like setting up AccoustID. But it can scan & detect tags from Musicbrainz database. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×