+12v Rail showing 11.808v

ThreePeenSoup
Go to solution Solved by Opencircuit74,

That's fine. The specification (from what I can find) is 12v + or - 5%, which is anywhere from 11.4 to 12.6V.

Under load, sometimes, it goes down to 11.808 avg ~11.900 range.  Is this safe?  I found a few posts elsewhere but no one is definitive as usual.

EVGA 1000 GQ

8700K 4.6 ghz 1.3v LLC5 1.280 heavy load 1.294 avg

1080 FTW 2

Tridentz 3000mhz 

Maximus x formula

Not sure what other info is relevant.

Its okay. this levels of fluctuation are pretty normal under load and will only matter under the heaviest OCs

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

That's fine. The specification (from what I can find) is 12v + or - 5%, which is anywhere from 11.4 to 12.6V.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

My platinum rated PSU’s 12v rail doesn’t deliver exactly 12vs. I called Corsair and they said that was normal and within spec. Apparently as long as it is close enough the tolerance of the CPU will cover the rest.

Just now, Opencircuit74 said:

Correct. BUT those ranges with todays hardware are not that nice. But since OP is lots away from this he is absolutely fine 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Correct. BUT those ranges with todays hardware are not that nice. But since OP is lots away from this he is absolutely fine 

You're right, once the voltages approach those limits you can see some instability, but as you said OP is fine.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Did you actually measure it with a multimeter, or did you just look at the completely imprecise and useless numbers in Windows?

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Did you actually measure it with a multimeter, or did you just look at the completely imprecise and useless numbers in Windows?

Guess.

24 minutes ago, TheNoid said:

Guess.

A multimeter.

Good for you.

46 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

A multimeter.

Good for you.

Hwinfo.

1 hour ago, TheNoid said:

Hwinfo.

Oh.... That's dumb.

HWInfo gets the readings from the motherboard.  Not the PSU (unless the PSU actually supports reporting, which yours and 95% of the consumer grade PSU's on the market don't).

So what you're seeing is 11.808V at the reporting IC on the motherboard.  And if you know anything about Ohm's law, you know there's no way that can be an accurate representation of what the PSU is actually putting out.

1 hour ago, TheNoid said:

Hwinfo.

Useless random numbers then - they don't tell you what's the actual voltage levels. It shows 11.808v, but it might as well actually be 11.401v, 12.578 or even 12.000v on the nose. 

24 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Oh.... That's dumb.

HWInfo gets the readings from the motherboard.  Not the PSU (unless the PSU actually supports reporting, which yours and 95% of the consumer grade PSU's on the market don't).

So what you're seeing is 11.808V at the reporting IC on the motherboard.  And if you know anything about Ohm's law, you know there's no way that can be an accurate representation of what the PSU is actually putting out.

That for sure is correct, but how accurate are the readouts from the PSU itself? I use a corsair HX1000i. DO you have any numbers on how accurate it is?

36 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

That for sure is correct, but how accurate are the readouts from the PSU itself? I use a corsair HX1000i. DO you have any numbers on how accurate it is?

Depends on the load.  The op-amps used are pretty cheap, so the accuracy is really bad at low loads.  DC measurements are pretty accurate, but AC measurements are so off at low loads that LINK/iCUE has to use a look up table to cross reference the DC readings to calculate what to display in the software.