Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thekingno001

Can anybody help me to upgrade my storage to M.2?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey,

I have currently a 1 TB hard drive but it is super slow and I collecting money to upgrade my pc. I am thinking to buy 2 M.2 of 240 GB each as it is the best M.2 deals I am getting (I live in India)

I am thinking to run them in raid 0  but I don't know How can I clone my hard drive to M.2 and then boot from it.

 

One more Question

If I make raid 0 in windows then what will show up in bios. I mean does bios also think that they are same drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

I am thinking to buy 2 M.2 of 240 GB each as it is the best M.2 deals I am getting (I live in India)
I am thinking to run them in raid 0

how much extra is a single 500GB/480GB stick compared to buying two 240GB sticks?

9 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

If I make raid 0 in windows then what will show up in bios. I mean does bios also think that they are same drive.

depending on the system, they'll always show up as multiple disks in BIOS, but once you reach windows you'll only see the single storage volume (and as multiple disks in device manager)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t buy 240gb ssd. 


 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how much extra is a single 500GB/480GB stick compared to buying two 240GB sticks?

22 USD

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

Hey,

I have currently a 1 TB hard drive but it is super slow and I collecting money to upgrade my pc. I am thinking to buy 2 M.2 of 240 GB each as it is the best M.2 deals I am getting (I live in India)

I am thinking to run them in raid 0  but I don't know How can I clone my hard drive to M.2 and then boot from it.

 

One more Question

If I make raid 0 in windows then what will show up in bios. I mean does bios also think that they are same drive.

Buy 1 500gb ssd. Perhaps the crucial mx500


 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thekingno001 said:

Any reason

Shorter life span. Would definitely recommend grabbing a 500gb ssd at least. You have more longevity 


 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how much extra is a single 500GB/480GB stick compared to buying two 240GB sticks?

depending on the system, they'll always show up as multiple disks in BIOS, but once you reach windows you'll only see the single storage volume (and as multiple disks in device manager)

If I have raid 0 set up from wich ssd should I boot in bios

Link to post
Share on other sites

one more thing:

24 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

I am thinking to run them in raid 0  but I don't know How can I clone my hard drive to M.2 and then boot from it.

your only option is to use your motherboard's RAID management controller (intel RST, AMD i don't remember the name of...). what that means is your RAID group of disks will be tied to your motherboard, or strictly speaking the specific hardware RAID controller they're under.

(you can't boot off a Windows Storage Spaces volume, although Microsoft has the means to do that with a proprietary method that hasn't been disclosed yet)

 

3 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

If I have raid 0 set up from wich ssd should I boot in bios

if you're using the motherboard to control the RAID array, it should appear as a single volume when in context of booting.

(i'll need people to correct me if I'm wrong, I have a few gaps in my knowledge here ,_,)

 

6 minutes ago, thekingno001 said:

22 USD

spend it, or find a TLC 500GB stick that's a little more cost effective. RAID 0 at this scale isn't worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html this mini tool will help set things up.


i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz OC (EKWB) / Asus Hero Viii / Asus Strix 1080 TI OC (EKWB) / Asus PG348Q, HP LP2475w, ASUS VC239, SONY KDL40D3000 Fractal Design R6HyperX Fury 2400 / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDCoolermaster 650 / EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [3x120 fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [3x120 fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBCorsair K70 / Logitc G502 /Razer Deathadder Elite Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×