Goto Intel from Ryzen?

I currently am using a 3600x, x470-pro board with RTx 2080 and 16gb 3200 ram should I change to Intel and get a 9700k and a board?

i game and stream on one pc but I use my gpu to stream

Why? You gain nothing by making the switch and lose hyperthreading along with it netting you a loss imo.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That's a downgrade. You gain nothing with a 9700K. Hell, you LOSE threads. Get a 3700X if you want an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Why? You gain nothing by making the switch and lose hyperthreading along with it netting you a loss imo.

Hypershreading is a Intel thing I thought

Just now, Jedibrysen said:

Then how does your CPU have it? ?

well... amd has smt, which is the same thing with a different name

1 minute ago, Jedibrysen said:

Same thing different name on AMD side, SMT is what AMD calls it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's a downgrade. You gain nothing with a 9700K. Hell, you LOSE threads. Get a 3700X if you want an upgrade.

Well I’m just in it for gaming performance and my cpu especially for Fortnite is a bottleneck 

Well I’m just in it for gaming performance and my cpu especially for Fortnite is a bottleneck 

You deduced that how? The 9700K is only 4% faster for games - and that's assuming you overclock it.

Instead of wasting money, find a RAM guide for your motherboard and tighten the timings - that will improve performance more than wasting 350$ on a 9700K

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

You deduced that how? The 9700K is only 4% faster for games - and that's assuming you overclock it.

Instead of wasting money, find a RAM guide for your motherboard and tighten the timings - that will improve performance more than wasting 350$ on a 9700K

I’ve noticed atleast 10% improvement in Fortnite it’s way better optimized for Intel 

I’ve noticed atleast 10% improvement in Fortnite it’s way better optimized for Intel 

No, it's not. You're looking at 10fps max with an overclocked Intel CPU over a Ryzen 3000 one

image.png.e5ccdf3b06bfd7d53e2432e574910f8a.png

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Will a 3700x be a upgrade tho for gaming?

The above graph, in % is 4.6% more performance in Fortnite - not worth it

Will a 3700x be a upgrade tho for gaming?

Not really - it will help with streaming but anything over a 3600(X) is not going to matter that much for gaming, be it Intel or AMD - it's the best gaming CPU atm

Just now, 5x5 said:

No, it's not. You're looking at 10fps max with an overclocked Intel CPU over a Ryzen 3000 one

Compare it with the 3700x vs 9700k

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

This also before they switched over to Directx11

Compare it with the 3700x vs 9700k

It's the same - Fortnite only uses 4 cores - the Ryzen 5 3600 and the Ryzen 9 3900X perform the same in it - same for the i5 9600K and i9 9900K - there is no difference for that game.

This also before they switched over to Directx11

This is from 1 month ago. As recent as it gets

17 minutes ago, Jedibrysen said:

Simple question:
Do you NEED more performance right now?

And if so, why?

You either buy the i9 or you go AMD at this point, the 3600X is a bad value CPU I'll say that you should have got the 3700X from the get go if you were willing to pay that extra.

As is I'd say keep it and start streaming with NVENC with that 2080.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The following considers you potentially streaming other more intense games now and in the future, keep in mind.

You are kind of in a grey zone in terms of ideal set up for streaming (though you are darn close with what you have tbh).  If anything I would just upgrade to a 3700x (can just swap it right in, easy!), then you would have great performance and the option to stream easily from your CPU as well.  The difference in gaming is so minimal that it isnt worth loss of threads IMO (and having to buy another board!).  The 3600x is in a spot where it does fine in gaming, but might run into some issues handling everything if you wanted to try and stream with it on fast/medium (just like the 9700k) and maintain excellent streamer side performance for you.  Again, kind of a grey area in terms of options (but not where it concerns your wallet, that choice is clear)

IMO an 8 core 16 thread with good single thread performance is ideal for gaming and streaming, and will hold up for a good while.  6 core 12 threads may struggle down the road when games start taking advantage of 8/16 which is the direction we are headed.  And 8 cores no HT even worse in the future.

A 9900k would be a perfect answer to your scenario (streams great on x264 fast and medium, with some of the best streamer side performance as well due to high clocks), but would cost you a TON in terms of money for CPU, z390 (but why not just get a 3900x, which you could stream on X264 SLOW setting ;) haha).  Sell that 3600x on ebay and buy a 3700x, done deal.  3700x plus 2080 is a wonderful spot to be in and will hold up for a good long while.

All that being said, 3600x and 2080 with nVenc should look pretty good for both you and your stream, especially with fortnite.  I guarantee you that you wont notice the difference between 200 to 220 or 240 to 260 hz, your eyes just can't tell.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Honestly, running a G-sync or Freesync combination at 144hz with a suitable 1080p monitor will net you a better gaming experience over boosting more fps past what your monitor can display and streaming more then 60fps is not really a thing anyway on most streaming platforms so I don't really get the point either. At least not past "I want bigger numbers for the sake of numbers". You cannot really see those extra frames if your monitor does not show those extra frames anyway.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Splitting hairs, but where it matters, the Intel is a 15-18% improvement.

That may not matter as much now, but a few years down the line, it might be the difference between holding 60fps steady in new games or not.

That said, I still wouldn't get the 9900k; it's old technology and overpriced.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, St.Nick said:

Honestly, running a G-sync or Freesync combination at 144hz with a suitable 1080p monitor will net you a better gaming experience over boosting more fps past what your monitor can display and streaming more then 60fps is not really a thing anyway on most streaming platforms so I don't really get the point either. At least not past "I want bigger numbers for the sake of numbers". You cannot really see those extra frames if your monitor does not show those extra frames anyway.

I have 240hz

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Simple question:
Do you NEED more performance right now?

And if so, why?

Comp Fortnite with 30-60 people endgame I see people with 120fps with the same gpu but I only get like 70-90fps which I mean is not bad but I would like to get as much as possible