TV as a monitor?

Hold-Ma-Beer
Go to solution Solved by Kisai,
14 hours ago, Potato Pc Tryhard said:

I have a Sony Bravia 32W672G TV. It has graphics mode which is supposed to reduce input lag. Can I use it as a gaming PC monitor?

All TV's that have an HDMI input can be used as a computer screen.

The question is more of a "why would you want to?" , as usually a "TV" panel is designed to sit farther back from, but really ever since CRT's have been phased out, the panels are identical, though most TV's are really TN panels.

A quick check online suggests it's an Indian-market model.

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/res/manuals/4748/fda6b599e4e5a716fb5f67ce395e9471/47481681M.pdf

image.png.91ceefa14ad96434d9f8ec3b4e67b801.png

IT supports 1920x1080 at 60hz, it's fine. Keep in mind that the "others" column indicates that 32W672G is 1920x1080.

I have a Sony Bravia 32W672G TV. It has graphics mode which is supposed to reduce input lag. Can I use it as a gaming PC monitor?

Sure.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Well you technically can, just try it out for yourself and see if you can live with it.

I have played games on a cheap projector, it is just that the experience is not that good.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Of course you can use it as a monitor! :) Just try for yourself whether you like it or not. It being a TV might lead to it being not as good for gaming, but how much a possible input lag or similar decreases usability completely depends on the user.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Some TVs need to have the input name changed to PC to prevent overscan. Also you might need to reduce the sharpness setting it text looks blurry. Other than that a tv is just a large monitor that accepts a cable input.

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

As far as I know (tell me if I am wrong) PC Monitors have some sort of light filters in it's panel because the maker of it knows you will be sitting close to it... So these filters prevent health damaging rays from getting to your eyes and body... When TVs don't have these filters because the maker of it knows that you will sit 3~4 meters far away from it so these rays can't reach your eyes/body because these rays' range is about 1 meter... I am not sure about what I said so don't take what I just said too seriously...

Huh? Nope. 

Just now, InfinityVive said:

So what I am saying is wrong? Thank you for telling me so... because my friend is who told me about what I just said... Probably I won't trust him again...

Check everything. Check it. Check everything.

My monitor is a 55" Vizio 4K TV.  Before that it was a 58" Panasonic Plasma.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Some TVs need to have the input name changed to PC to prevent overscan. Also you might need to reduce the sharpness setting it text looks blurry. Other than that a tv is just a large monitor that accepts a cable input.

But the issue is my model say FHD , Refresh rate 50Hz

14 hours ago, Potato Pc Tryhard said:

The question is more of a "why would you want to?" , as usually a "TV" panel is designed to sit farther back from, but really ever since CRT's have been phased out, the panels are identical, though most TV's are really TN panels.

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/res/manuals/4748/fda6b599e4e5a716fb5f67ce395e9471/47481681M.pdf

IT supports 1920x1080 at 60hz, it's fine. Keep in mind that the "others" column indicates that 32W672G is 1920x1080.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The question is more of a "why would you want to?"

IT supports 1920x1080 at 60hz, it's fine.

Thank you so much!! Its a relief!

And pls  can you suggest any good budget friendly hdmi cables that support 1080p at 60Hz with least input lag?? 

Remember I live in India and 1$ = 70INR so.....

Just now, Potato Pc Tryhard said:

Thank you so much!! Its a relief!

And pls  can you suggest any good budget friendly hdmi cables that support 1080p at 60Hz with least input lag?? 

Remember I live in India and 1$ = 70INR so.....

HDMI cables do not generate lag unless they're poorly made, in which case they'll just drop the signal entirely.

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

HDMI cables do not generate lag unless they're poorly made, in which case they'll just drop the signal entirely.

No, I was just asking if anyone could recommend a certain reliable hdmi brand?

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

~SNIP~

though most TV's are really TN panels.

~SNIP~

Incorrect, most TV's are VA.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Incorrect, most TV's are VA.

Citation please. I pasted the page from the manual, it does not indicate the panel type.

Where as the TV's on the market that clearly indicate their panel type are the IPS, OLED and QuantumDot filter technology.

45 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Citation please. I pasted the page from the manual, it does not indicate the panel type.

Where as the TV's on the market that clearly indicate their panel type are the IPS, OLED and QuantumDot filter technology.

QuantomDot TVs are VA panels with a QD filter.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/5215

Clear the filter, should see 199 total reviews. Select a column add Sub-type

All are IPS, VA and OLED.

additonaly here

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

"There are two types of LCD panels used in LED-backlit TVs today: In-Plane Switching (IPS) and Vertical Alignment (VA). "

Another here.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1788-display-tech-compared/

" TVs make extensive use of VA panels "

TN is a terrible choice of panel type for TV's, its why they dont use them (except in perhaps smaller very cheap units, not that i know of any of hand). They have bad viewing angles, poor contrast ,and generally have poor color reproduction. They are faster than IPS and VA though and cheap which is why they get used in Monitors a lot.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:07 AM, SolarNova said:

QuantomDot TVs are VA panels with a QD filter.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/5215

Clear the filter, should see 199 total reviews. Select a column add Sub-type

All are IPS, VA and OLED.

additonaly here

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

"There are two types of LCD panels used in LED-backlit TVs today: In-Plane Switching (IPS) and Vertical Alignment (VA). "

Another here.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1788-display-tech-compared/

" TVs make extensive use of VA panels "

TN is a terrible choice of panel type for TV's, its why they dont use them (except in perhaps smaller very cheap units, not that i know of any of hand). They have bad viewing angles, poor contrast ,and generally have poor color reproduction. They are faster than IPS and VA though and cheap which is why they get used in Monitors a lot.

Bro what do u need 1000w psu for... Damn..

13 minutes ago, Potato Pc Tryhard said:

Bro what do u need 1000w psu for... Damn..

My system originally had a 780 Classified, and i intended on going SLI at a later date at the time of building it.

That never happened, i just went to a single 1080ti this year.

That said both the 3930k and 780 classi when heavily OC'ed can be massive power hogs.

I pushed the 780 classi during bench marks to 1.5volts on the core, I never measured the power draw but a 780 classi stock (1.2v) can pull over 350w. And while i never bothered setting an OC this high on the CPU, the 3930k can potential hit 5ghz at 1.4v to 1.5v. 400w+.

So yea the 1KW PSU was for those reasons.

Yes, but you need to tweak some display settings. Out of the box TVs are most likely to be configured wrong for text display, leading to some blurry, pixelated shadows around letters.