• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryzen4Life

How does a breadboard work

5 minutes ago, Ryzen4Life said:

How does a breadboard work ya'll 

Well,

First you gotta get some flour, and water, but skip the yeast, that'll cause it to rise and become lumpy...

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

It's a board with what are essentially wires running underneath connecting all the little inputs together. They typically have two buss bars down the sides that are all connected, and then each row of 5 or 6 holes are all connected.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Cooler Master Q500L case, Sapphire RX 590 8GB

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i5-7400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 250GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display  

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB  **Broken**

Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth 2017, i7 7500u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display  **Dismantled**

oh.. wow, i read in the title as "broadband".  Didn't realise until i read replies, haven't heard this term ever before :P

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

1 hour ago, Ryzen4Life said:

to make a RPi Handheld

Prototype yes

real device: totally not, the connection is to unreliable 

a breadboard is made out of U shaped segments where the wall are slightly springy, so when you insert a pin or wire, the walls put a bit of pressure on it.

You can see these U shaped segments in transparent breadboards.

So a breadboard is useful because you can quickly put DIP chips across the middle of the board, and then for each pin of your chip, you can have up to 4 holes, 4 connections to other things.

So it makes prototyping things fast.

It's just for temporary things though, the length of those U shape metal bits inside can make them behave as antennas, or as capacitors (two metals separated by insulator can "create" a capacitor so they're not recommended for high frequency circuits like switching regulators, very fast microcontrollers etc etc.

image.png.0db5cc4bbf0722a1e92053f08912fef1.png