Cheapest phone service in the US?

IAnthonyFX

I don't what are some cheap just phone and SMS (no need to be unlimited) preferably pay-as you go system for a simcard in the US. I find it ridiculous how much a phone plan can cost here while everywhere I been offer 10gig 4g plans for 7 dollars a month. 

Cheap to me means below 10 dollars a month. 

I would think coverage is important too, I live in Colorado springs. 

Any leads would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

The only phone service I know of that is around the $10 dollar range is Ting. But you won't get much from them for $10 It would be $6 just to have you phone connected to there network.
And it is $3 for each of the services minutes, texts and data.

If you can pool together with a group of people you can get better deals.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

The only phone service I know of that is around the $10 dollar range is Ting. But you won't get much from them for $10 It would be $6 just to have you phone connected to there network.

Yes I have heard of Ting but your going to get a nice charge using mobile data.  Just depends how much you use it out of wifi in your home and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

12 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

If you can pool together with a group of people you can get better deals.

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes I have heard of Ting but your going to get a nice charge using mobile data.  Just depends how much you use it out of wifi in your home and what not.

2 minutes ago, Fin the Human said:

Tracphone is like 100$ a year for a bunch of texting and calling. I'm pretty sure data and extra service is ala carte.

How about Tello? Seems decent for cheap prices though I am unsure about coverage and their costumer service

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

1 minute ago, IAnthonyFX said:

How about Tello? Seems decent for cheap prices though I am unsure about coverage and their costumer service

Nice post I haven't heard of these guys.  The problem lies when you use your mobile data.  Some people are at home users so just use wifi but theres people that are always on the go and slowly that data rate of 2GB for free will finish fast especially if your streaming youtube videos or stream music and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes, it is about $10 per 1GB of data.  if your a very heavy cell phone users like over 2GB-3GB a month I wouldn't recommend them. Your better off going somewhere else. But if your around WiFi most of the time and just need that little bit of coverage when your not in WiFi range it isn't a bad deal.

7 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

Never heard of them, but the price is right. 

It looks like they are using Sprint's network as their back end. That might help you figure out how good their service is.

13 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Yes, it is about $10 per 1GB of data.  if your a very heavy cell phone users like over 2GB-3GB a month I wouldn't recommend them. Your better off going somewhere else. But if your around WiFi most of the time and just need that little bit of coverage when your not in WiFi range it isn't a bad deal.

I think it is best to go with a fixed plan, because now a days your going to do lots of streaming and that 2GB or so on will finish very fast and what not.

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I think it is best to go with a fixed plan, because now a days your going to do lots of streaming and that 2GB or so on will finish very fast and what not.

24 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

25 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Nice post I haven't heard of these guys.  The problem lies when you use your mobile data.  Some people are at home users so just use wifi but theres people that are always on the go and slowly that data rate of 2GB for free will finish fast especially if your streaming youtube videos or stream music and what not.

26 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Back at home I do.end up using like 30gb a month. But there that is cheap relative to in the US. In my experience of phone service less life in the US I have had no real need for internet as I behave myself with it more. At home I have a decent 100mbps connection and in campus we got something like a 600mpbs so besides used on rare occasions when sending messages to my gf I find no use on phone internet. I do need however a phone number as it is mostly a hassle to explain to professors why I don't have one. 

Tello seems good so far if it uses Sprint network. Will wait a few days until I have seen a few other options. Thank you for your help guys

$3/month prepaid/pay as you go with T-Mobile gets 30 combined minutes & texts (so say 15 minutes & 15 texts) with $0.10 per extra minute/text (Sending and receiving):

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/canada-phone-plan-pricing

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Carriers/T-Mobile/Personal/T-Mobile-Pay-As-You-Go?contract=0

19 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

Tello

They use the Sprint Network ?. Heres what you gotta understand we have 4 large carriers in the US. Most of these smaller companies just piggy back on to the big 3's network and Sprints shitty network. So your best bet is to see who of the big guys has the best coverage and find a MVNO that uses the network with the best coverage. Sprints network is garbage at best, actually calling it garbage is an insult to garbage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, IAnthonyFX said:

I don't what are some cheap just phone and SMS (no need to be unlimited) preferably pay-as you go system for a simcard in the US. I find it ridiculous how much a phone plan can cost here while everywhere I been offer 10gig 4g plans for 7 dollars a month. 

Cheap to me means below 10 dollars a month. 

I would think coverage is important too, I live in Colorado springs. 

Any leads would be appreciated.

If you had a compatible phone, and can spring for around $20/month, I'd recommend Google Fi. I'm on it and last month I paid $24 after taxes and fees, and it's unlimited talk and text. You pay $10 a GB but if you're a light user that won't matter much (this is the boat I'm in). The service uses T-Mobile, US Cellular and Sprint towers. For a single user, your bill will never be higher than $80 (if for whatever reason you have a heavy data month).