Do the 2070s worth it?

Tiago8v

Hey guys...

I will go strait to the question :P

Do the 2070s worth $100 more than 2060s?

Is that much of a difference? :S 

CPU: AMD 3700x 4300mhz 1.3v                                                     Cooling: CoolerMaster ML240L

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)                    RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z RGB CL16

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold                                      GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan 8GB GD6

5700 XT is better value, depending where you’re located.

what are you looking to achieve? 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

The this is, the games that I usually play will receive RTX support :( 

I was looking at 5700xt first... then the news came out... and I changed my mind.

CPU: AMD 3700x 4300mhz 1.3v                                                     Cooling: CoolerMaster ML240L

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)                    RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z RGB CL16

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold                                      GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan 8GB GD6

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

5700 XT is better value, depending where you’re located.

what are you looking to achieve? 

forgot to mention... sorry :s

Just now, Tiago8v said:

The this is, the games that I usually play will receive RTX support :( 

I was looking at 5700xt first... then the news came out... and I changed my mind.

1 hour ago, Tiago8v said:

forgot to mention... sorry :s

Alright gotcha. Depends what resolution you’re running for. But the 2060S will most likely be sufficient for 1080p 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 hours ago, Slottr said:

Alright gotcha. Depends what resolution you’re running for. But the 2060S will most likely be sufficient for 1080p 

Yeah it's for gaming at 1080p.

Between the 2060s and the 2070s the fps difference is around 10-15fps, right?? 

I think that the 5700XT will become a better choice over time as driver support increases and more AIB cards are released. Drivers at launch were a mess and the reference model ran hot and loud - I returned my card so can only assume that AMD are ironing out the driver issues

I have a 2070S and it has no issues pushing frames to my 144Hz 1440p monitor. It's a great card, but it should be when it costs £100 more than the 5700 XT (£475 vs £375 for both reference models)

If you're in the market for a new card but have something that's perfectly serviceable in the meantime, it may be better to hold off for a few weeks to see how things settle down.

23 minutes ago, James300 said:

I think that the 5700XT will become a better choice over time as driver support increases and more AIB cards are released. Drivers at launch were a mess and the reference model ran hot and loud - I returned my card so can only assume that AMD are ironing out the driver issues

I have a 2070S and it has no issues pushing frames to my 144Hz 1440p monitor. It's a great card, but it should be when it costs £100 more than the 5700 XT (£475 vs £375 for both reference models)

If you're in the market for a new card but have something that's perfectly serviceable in the meantime, it may be better to hold off for a few weeks to see how things settle down.

Hey man, thanks! ;)

When you say to hold off for a few weeks is for the 5700 xt AIB cards?

3 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

Hey man, thanks! ;)

When you say to hold off for a few weeks is for the 5700 xt AIB cards?

Yes, but also to see if there are any significant performance gains to be had from driver updates in the meantime

The latest Nvidia drivers have unlocked some pretty beefy bumps from the super cards judging from recent press, and AMD drivers have history for improving greatly over time. There's a lot of flux when it comes to GPUs and it sucks to make the wrong decision on something that expensive. I've only just got AMD to agree to refund me for my 5700XT and that's taken 5 weeks

1 hour ago, James300 said:

Yes, but also to see if there are any significant performance gains to be had from driver updates in the meantime

The latest Nvidia drivers have unlocked some pretty beefy bumps from the super cards judging from recent press, and AMD drivers have history for improving greatly over time. There's a lot of flux when it comes to GPUs and it sucks to make the wrong decision on something that expensive. I've only just got AMD to agree to refund me for my 5700XT and that's taken 5 weeks

I know, the only thing is that I was looking for NVIDIA as the Ray tracing that are going to be supported on the games I play... :(

29 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

And will it be on every games? I guess not :|

3 hours ago, Tiago8v said:

And will it be on every games? I guess not :|

Not in the short term.

As commonly used game engines get support for ray tracing it will become more popular, as well as a tipping point for AAA games when more gamers that have 1070's and 1060's for example upgrade.

Indie games will be a lot more hit and miss depending on available resources and whether or not they believe that the game will benefit from it.

If you're going to buy another GPU next year, I'd say RT is not a feature worth paying for. If it's something you value and you'll have the GPU for a couple of years or more, then it may be more of a consideration

1 hour ago, James300 said:

Not in the short term.

As commonly used game engines get support for ray tracing it will become more popular, as well as a tipping point for AAA games when more gamers that have 1070's and 1060's for example upgrade.

Indie games will be a lot more hit and miss depending on available resources and whether or not they believe that the game will benefit from it.

If you're going to buy another GPU next year, I'd say RT is not a feature worth paying for. If it's something you value and you'll have the GPU for a couple of years or more, then it may be more of a consideration

Thanks it was a very good point! ;)

Right, my plan is to keep it for like 4 or 5 years... depending of the evolution...

1 hour ago, Tiago8v said:

Thanks it was a very good point! ;)

Right, my plan is to keep it for like 4 or 5 years... depending of the evolution...

If I were you, I would get the GPU with the best performance/price ratio. Ray tracing is kinda a gimmick right now and pretty useless due to nVidia asking for absurd prices. If nVidia would lower their RTX prices, most people would have them by now but simply are way too expensive for the performance you get at the moment. €1300 or more is outrageous for 2080Ti.

If you want to keep the GPU for 4 or 5 years like I did, forget about RTX and get the GPU to get the best framerates.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I have a 2070... at 1440p it does ray tracing fine... things look great but honestly outside screenshots all I really see ray tracing at right now is a "hey i want to go from 144 fps to 70 fs in battlefield V. I don't notice the ray tracing as much as i notice the performance hit. in screenshots i can tell in the same spots though it looks nicer and maybe its more immersive?... i just am not noticing as I am more looking for targets and such.  

On 8/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, G00fySmiley said:

I have a 2070... at 1440p it does ray tracing fine... things look great but honestly outside screenshots all I really see ray tracing at right now is a "hey i want to go from 144 fps to 70 fs in battlefield V. I don't notice the ray tracing as much as i notice the performance hit. in screenshots i can tell in the same spots though it looks nicer and maybe its more immersive?... i just am not noticing as I am more looking for targets and such.  

Exactly, Ray tracing in BFV was a terrible choice because as you said, you're more looking for targets. Ray tracing would have been very cool in open-world games like GTA, racing and perhaps RDR2. But in first person shooters? Really?

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

13 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Exactly, Ray tracing in BFV was a terrible choice because as you said, you're more looking for targets. Ray tracing would have been very cool in open-world games like GTA, racing and perhaps RDR2. But in first person shooters? Really?

True... let's see the upcoming Watch Dogs... will be amazing... :P

14 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

True... let's see the upcoming Watch Dogs... will be amazing... :P

Watch Dogs is an example for open-world games to implement ray tracing.

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

Watch Dogs is an example for open-world games to implement ray tracing.

True... have you seen the trailer? It looks so good!

2 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

True... have you seen the trailer? It looks so good!

Most of it can be done through rasterization anyways... the only issue will rise if they start downgrading rasterization techniques to push DXR down our throats and that is a possibility because DXR implementation is extremely expensive and time consuming, certain games were forced to go back on their promise of implementation because simply couldn't afford dealing with it.

There are other red flags to have in mind, when did Ubisoft ever release a Watch Dogs game without serious downgrade in graphical quality from these initial promotional videos? the end result can be far more disappointing.

And even if they shift all their resources to manage this DXR implementation gotta understand RTX cards are still minority and if the game looks bad on rasterization where you need DXR to make it look good they are going to shoot themselves on the foot.

Take Metro Exodus for instance, the game still has the best implementation of Global Illumination so far which in my opinion is far more appealing than Ray Traced reflections and even then the game still looks gorgeous only on rasterization. If Ubisoft can't achieve the same result they are in for some backlash on what is probably one of the most disliked franchises they have.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Most of it can be done through rasterization anyways... the only issue will rise if they start downgrading rasterization techniques to push DXR down our throats and that is a possibility because DXR implementation is extremely expensive and time consuming, certain games were forced to go back on their promise of implementation because simply couldn't afford dealing with it.

There are other red flags to have in mind, when did Ubisoft ever release a Watch Dogs game without serious downgrade in graphical quality from these initial promotional videos? the end result can be far more disappointing.

And even if they shift all their resources to manage this DXR implementation gotta understand RTX cards are still minority and if the game looks bad on rasterization where you need DXR to make it look good they are going to shoot themselves on the foot.

Take Metro Exodus for instance, the game still has the best implementation of Global Illumination so far which in my opinion is far more appealing than Ray Traced reflections and even then the game still looks gorgeous only on rasterization. If Ubisoft can't achieve the same result they are in for some backlash on what is probably one of the most disliked franchises they have.

You are totally right about Ubisoft sadly. :P

Only time will tell us, whats coming :S

I'm hoping that RTX will bring some nice world effects. I'm also waiting for DLSS on ARK Survival Envolved... since is my favorite and most played game so far. -.-

1 minute ago, Tiago8v said:

'm hoping that RTX will bring some nice world effects. I'm also waiting for DLSS on ARK Survival Envolved... since is my favorite and most played game so far. -.-

At some point we had to start messing with Ray Tracing as a next step up that is true but this technology is really far from being as mainstream as we'd like... only reason nVidia took the chance to venture on it so soon is due to their comfortable position where AMD kept failing to deliver until recently with the RX5700XT release.

Another issue to have in mind is that a card like the RTX 2060, RTX 2060S and vanilla RTX 2070 all have too little hardware potential to handle DXR at it's glory to make sense, you need to target 1080p60fps and on the case of the vanilla RTX 2060 you're probably gonna have to settle for "low" on the DXR menu which kinda ruins the entire point of the product... you won't achieve the eye candy you want or if you do you sacrificed other equally important things.

We're not there yet to expect this to be worth wile, maybe here in 2 years on the RTX 3000 series? but for now I'd not bother with it so much and focus on games that still bring eye candy with more mainstream rasterization techniques that perform tons better allowing us to mess with high resolutions and high refreshes rate at the same time.

DLSS is another technology that kinda went to the freezer because nobody but Metro Exodus really managed to get it going as nVidia hoped and even then people have been arguing that the RX5700XT rendering at a bit lower resolution (say 1800p if 4k screen) with the sharpening filter brought better results both visually and in performance.

Bottom line is that if you can afford the 2070S then please do otherwise your Ray Tracing experience will certainly be frustrating. Good luck and happy gaming!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

so 1080p? get the 2060 super. or heck even a 2070 non super if it's a bit more expansive. yes you can get the 5700xt but i always found that nvidia cards do it better long term. and there isn't much headroom in the 5700xt so it won't oc well compared to nvidia cards. And the 5700xt is more of a 1440p card. 

the max is a 2070 at 1080p
the best is either a 2060 super or 5700 non xt. 

If you really are like me and love eye candy.. go for the 2060 super or 2070 non super depending on prices.. 

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

At some point we had to start messing with Ray Tracing as a next step up that is true but this technology is really far from being as mainstream as we'd like... only reason nVidia took the chance to venture on it so soon is due to their comfortable position where AMD kept failing to deliver until recently with the RX5700XT release.

Another issue to have in mind is that a card like the RTX 2060, RTX 2060S and vanilla RTX 2070 all have too little hardware potential to handle DXR at it's glory to make sense, you need to target 1080p60fps and on the case of the vanilla RTX 2060 you're probably gonna have to settle for "low" on the DXR menu which kinda ruins the entire point of the product... you won't achieve the eye candy you want or if you do you sacrificed other equally important things.

We're not there yet to expect this to be worth wile, maybe here in 2 years on the RTX 3000 series? but for now I'd not bother with it so much and focus on games that still bring eye candy with more mainstream rasterization techniques that perform tons better allowing us to mess with high resolutions and high refreshes rate at the same time.

DLSS is another technology that kinda went to the freezer because nobody but Metro Exodus really managed to get it going as nVidia hoped and even then people have been arguing that the RX5700XT rendering at a bit lower resolution (say 1800p if 4k screen) with the sharpening filter brought better results both visually and in performance.

Bottom line is that if you can afford the 2070S then please do otherwise your Ray Tracing experience will certainly be frustrating. Good luck and happy gaming!

1080p raytracing isn't demanding though. a normal 2070 or 2060 super can do it. 

Not bad for a 2060. 

however... i just saw how you had a 3700x at 4.3. sooo go for something like a 2070 or if you are ballsy and thinking of upgrading your monitor in the near future the 2070 super. cause that is a bare minimum for the much more difficult 1440p raytracing.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

On 8/26/2019 at 3:20 PM, Princess Luna said:

On 8/26/2019 at 4:34 PM, hollyh88 said:

so 1080p? get the 2060 super. or heck even a 2070 non super if it's a bit more expansive. yes you can get the 5700xt but i always found that nvidia cards do it better long term. and there isn't much headroom in the 5700xt so it won't oc well compared to nvidia cards. And the 5700xt is more of a 1440p card. 

the max is a 2070 at 1080p
the best is either a 2060 super or 5700 non xt. 

If you really are like me and love eye candy.. go for the 2060 super or 2070 non super depending on prices.. 

1080p raytracing isn't demanding though. a normal 2070 or 2060 super can do it. 

Not bad for a 2060. 

however... i just saw how you had a 3700x at 4.3. sooo go for something like a 2070 or if you are ballsy and thinking of upgrading your monitor in the near future the 2070 super. cause that is a bare minimum for the much more difficult 1440p raytracing.

Thanks mates! ;)
I will think a bit more... 2070S whould be my choise... I was looking at the Zotac 2070 super twin fan... the Amp Extreme would be a bit better... but its more money... :|

And I suppose that the twin fan can OC to have the same performance... maybe the temps will be around 5º higher I suppose...

What do you think?