95-100c temps with brand new NZXT x72

So I recently bought a new case and new fans as well as a kraken x72 to help cool my 9900k. Every thing is installed correctly and plugged in and the pump is working but as soon as I boot up the temps immediately spike to 95-100c idle.

3 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

So I recently bought a new case and new fans as well as a kraken x72 to help cool my 9900k. Every thing is installed correctly and plugged in and the pump is working but as soon as I boot up the temps immediately spike to 95-100c idle.

Did you forget to apply thermal paste or reuse old thermal paste? If the cooler is new, did you remove the plastic that covers the pre-applied paste?

Try remounting the block as Denned said. I'd reapply thermal paste as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@Denned @TheKDub

I already did that and re applied the thermal paste. It is very well mounted and is fastened tight to the mb.

2 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

@Denned @TheKDub

I already did that and re applied the thermal paste. It is very well mounted and is fastened tight to the mb.

If you boot to Windows and open up NZXT's software, what's the AIO's liquid temperature at? (If they give that information)

Does the radiator feel warm at all?

Double check fan and pump (electrical) connections

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

@Denned @TheKDub

Maybe a dead pump perhaps. (DOA)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

@TheKDub

I haven’t installed NZXT software yet, however both core temp and the bios says that the cpu is running upwards of 90c.

uneven mount or defective sensor

possibly the cpu isnt straight or block

also when mounting somthing make sure to do cross patterns and also screw just a little by little, takes long but should give even mounts

95-100*C idle only happens with uneven mounts or broken pumps / not connected pumps ( if its legit temps )

(◑‿◐)

@Valkyrie Lenneth

both cpu and water block is mounted correctly and I did make sure to do the cross patter with the thumb screws.

Sounds like dead pump, only thing you can do is RMA it :(

24 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

@Valkyrie Lenneth

both cpu and water block is mounted correctly and I did make sure to do the cross patter with the thumb screws.

As I said, probably a dead pump. Send back for replacement 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Even if the pump was dead that CPU wouldn't hit 100c at idle/in the BIOS. Something definitely isn't right. Can you put the stock cooler on and see if you continue to have the same issue?

20 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Even if the pump was dead that CPU wouldn't hit 100c at idle/in the BIOS. Something definitely isn't right. Can you put the stock cooler on and see if you continue to have the same issue?

dead pump does give 100c

(◑‿◐)

I’m almost ? sure that the pump works. When the computer is on both it and the tubes vibrate and I can hear it pump water through.

3 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

I’m almost ? sure that the pump works. When the computer is on both it and the tubes vibrate and I can hear it pump water through.

pictures speak a thousand words:

- Picture of your system

- Close up of your socket area

- Picture of CPU + thermal paste before putting cooler down

- Picture of CPU + thermal paste after removing cooler

- Picture of Copper plate + thermal past after removing cooler

These can be helpful.

Actually looks quit3 decent. Can you confirm in words which cables from the cooler are connected to where. Please include all fan headers, usb connections, and sata power etc.

Long shot but I have seen this happen on a 6700k

Top left corner of the socket had a few bent pins. System worked booted etc. Would just climb to 100+ c in bios and windows. After then pins were bent back system ran just fine. 

@For Science!

3pin pump is connected to cpu fan header, then I connected the sata cables and the fans are connected to fan hub.

@bignaz

this sounds similar to the problem I’m having but it worked just fine with my previous cooler and I didn’t take out the cpu during the transfer.

8 hours ago, trgjosh said:

@bignaz

this sounds similar to the problem I’m having but it worked just fine with my previous cooler and I didn’t take out the cpu during the transfer.

Can you put the previous cooler on and see what the temps are?

@schwellmo92

Previous cooler which is the EVGA clc 240 gives temps that max at around 81c under load.

35 minutes ago, trgjosh said:

@schwellmo92

Previous cooler which is the EVGA clc 240 gives temps that max at around 81c under load.

Have you put the the previous cooler back on to test? I don't care about what you previously got, we need to know if you put the previous one on if it has the same issue so we can draw a conclusion.