Is my gpu bottlenecked?

tuaha khalid

I have i5 4570 and my gpu is rx 480 8gb should i upgrage to i5 4690 or i7 4770

3 minutes ago, tuaha khalid said:

I have i5 4570 and my gpu is rx 480 8gb should i upgrage to i5 4690 or i7 4770

You should be fine, but I would check CPU usage in game, some games will use a lot more CPU than others.  Open task manager and see if your CPU is pinned near 100% while in game.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

If the CPU usage is above 85% or so all the time or the GPU usage is constantly below 90%, then yes, there is some bottlenecking.

Note this is only applicable to recent-ish games. Much older games may not be able to push hardware hard because they have software limitations.

25 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If the CPU usage is above 85% or so all the time or the GPU usage is constantly below 90%, then yes, there is some bottlenecking.

Note this is only applicable to recent-ish games. Much older games may not be able to push hardware hard because they have software limitations.

not true, gpu can get bottlenecked even on 10% cpu usage, it depends on how many threads a game uses really ,  u can have a 200core xeon and bottleneck a gpu coz its singlethread is too bad

i have a ryzen 3600 , and it bottleneck on a 5700 xt when stream on slow encoding, but cpu usage only 50% :)

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

not true, gpu can get bottlenecked even on 10% cpu usage, it depends on how many threads a game uses really ,  u can have a 200core xeon and bottleneck a gpu coz its singlethread is too bad

I'm listing conditions that are easy to find that definitely point to signs of bottlenecking. However, given that OP has a 4C/4T CPU, the chances of single threaded bottlenecking showing a abysmally low CPU usage are slim unless they're playing a game from the 2000s or something simple like a 2D game.

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i have a ryzen 3600 , and it bottleneck on a 5700 xt when stream on slow encoding, but cpu usage only 50% :)

You're doing gaming and encoding and it's only using 50% of the CPU?

Something's wrong here.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm listing conditions that are easy to find that definitely point to signs of bottlenecking. However, given that OP has a 4C/4T CPU, the chances of single threaded bottlenecking showing a abysmally low CPU usage are slim unless they're playing a game from the 2000s.

You're doing encoding and it's only using 50% of the CPU?

Something's wrong here.

Easy way to tell if GPU is being limited.  GPU usage under 90%.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm listing conditions that are easy to find that definitely point to signs of bottlenecking. However, given that OP has a 4C/4T CPU, the chances of single threaded bottlenecking showing a abysmally low CPU usage are slim unless they're playing a game from the 2000s or something simple like a 2D game.

You're doing gaming and encoding and it's only using 50% of the CPU?

Something's wrong here.

its a ryzen 3600, what do u expect

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Which I already listed.

I kind of don't want to toot my own horn here, but I mean, if I have to I will.

8 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

There are plenty of modern games that still only use a single primary thread, I blame devs taking Unity or UE and doing no custom engine side coding.  ARK had this problem for the longest time and Risk of Rain 2 has this problem later in the game with hordes of enemies.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

There are plenty of modern games that still only use a single primary thread, I blame devs taking Unity or UE and doing no custom engine side coding.  ARK had this problem for the longest time and Risk of Rain 2 has this problem later in the game with hordes of enemies.

39 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

On a side note, effective multithreading for performance reasons is a hard thing to do. I would rather have the game actually work and all of its designs ironed out before serious performance optimizations are done. If a game runs at 1000 FPS but crashes all the time, I don't think I would enjoy it.

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

On a side note, effective multithreading for performance reasons is a hard thing to do. I would rather have the game actually work and all of its designs ironed out before serious performance optimizations are done. If a game runs at 1000 FPS but crashes all the time, I don't think I would enjoy it.

Ive done multithread optimizations in code, its not nearly as difficult as most people make it out to be.  The problem is that lots of small to mid sized game devs dont have dedicated coders, they just use an off the shelf engine and code base and just add on to that.

5 hours ago, tuaha khalid said:

Is my gpu bottlenecked? I have i5 4570 and my gpu is rx 480 8gb should i upgrage to i5 4690 or i7 4770

Yes, you are bottlenecked in most high demanding games right now but how much of a bottleneck depends on the game. Upgrading to an i5-4690 won't do much at all. Upgrading to an i7-4770 is going to allow you to achieve higher fps. Again, it depends on the game.

I say don't upgrade your CPU if your monitor is 60 Hz as your CPU/GPU combo will allow you to achieve around at least 25-60 fps in most games and anything over 60 fps isn't going to be portrayed on a 60 Hz monitor. I definitely say upgrade your CPU if your monitor is 144 Hz.