Android cutting back on the calories - Android 10 announced

yolosnail

So it finally happened, Google has dropped naming their Android versions after deserts and joined every other tech company on the planet by adding the number 10 (or X if you like your fruit)

Google has announced that Android Q will now come with an all-new, rather boring name: Android 10. This bucks the trend of Android operating systems being named after sweet foods, and marks a change in the naming direction going forward.

Google said, "we’ve heard feedback over the years that the names weren’t always understood by everyone in the global community"

It's true that 'Android 10' is a lot easier to interpret as the tenth iteration of Android than 'Android Q', especially in regions with non-Latin alphabets, and the change is taking place as Android is becoming a ubiquitous operating system in many regions around the world.

The Android 10 naming change brings with it an aesthetic change to Android's branding, putting the Android mascot front and center (well, slightly to the right like you can see above), and introducing a more green-centric color scheme too. 

T95gP4q9ZPjdCb7uAm8ivd-970-80.jpg

Personally, I do quite like the new branding, and Google have apparently confirmed that they're still going to use deserts as internal codenames, but they seem to be taking the fun away from Android. 

And it does make sense from a marketing stand point, since numbers are easier to understand than letters, but I think we'll all still end up calling it by it's desert name. 

#notmyandroid

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/android-q-is-officially-named-android-10

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I'm not surprised. Just disappointed ? 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, sowon said:

Still gonna call it Android Quiche. Foods forever.

Nah, it's gotta be Android Quorn to appease the vegans

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

F

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Makes sense but, it's less fun this way. :(

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Is there a good name they could have used beginning with Q? I'm wondering if that is more the reason for the switch.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Is there a good name they could have used beginning with Q? I'm wondering if that is more the reason for the switch.

Android Quavers

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Not gonna lie, I liked their naming scheme for Android versions. :(

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Do you know that Google has an Android statue garden, where a statue of an Android bot with some sort of sweet food is there. I wonder what they'll do with Android 10.

Android chewing a Windows 10 logo?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On one hand, this makings things a lot easier. I've seen people call the current version of Android for Android P, Android Pie and Android 9. Having everyone say the same thing, and having it numbered makes it more clear which version people are talking about. If I see "Android marshmallow" it takes a few seconds to realize that's an older version than Nougat. 

Android 6 and Android 7 would have been far easier to understand. Especially for people less involved in Android. 

On the other hand, it was fun seeing which desserts they picked every year. 

This is all wrong. We all now "Android Millenium" is the best... or was it 2000... which bandwagon are we?

Wait, that's it!!!

[Goes off and patents "Bandwagon" in 75 countries]

1 hour ago, porina said:

2 hours ago, pierom_qwerty said:

android quassant

i like trains 🙂

3 hours ago, porina said:

Quality Street...

Anyway I've been running Q/10 since beta one, tbph there's no real difference between it and Pie unless you're on a Pixel device in which case the UI now operates on a gesture based system (which I hated at first but now prefer and hate switching to my tablet running Pie), loads of under the hood stuff but no real difference in appearance or functionality and fwih the gesture update will be Pixel devices only so for the large majority it will be a nothing upgrade.

Last upgrade was RTM so full release is weeks away for Pixels, considerably longer for everyone else.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Quality Street

Quality Street are the worst thing ever invented. They do not deserve to be an Android version!

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

Quality Street are the worst thing ever invented. They do not deserve to be an Android version!

Cupcake

Donut

Eclair

Frozen Yogurt

Gingerbread

Honeycomb

Ice Cream Sandwich

Jelly Bean

KitKat

Lollipop

Marshmallow

Nougat

Oreo

Pie

Quality Street

Makes perfect sense to me, your opinion of the product has no bearing on its relevance to the topic.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I like this change. Personally I could not tell you if oreo came before lollipop, or if lollipop came before marshmellow

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

so no Quaker Oats...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

your opinion of the product has no bearing on its relevance to the topic.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. The ONLY reason people eat Quality Street is because Sainsbury's ran out of Celebrations

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 hours ago, porina said:

Android Quinoa