9900k vs. FX-9590 Video Editing

Go to solution Solved by Energycore,

Welcome to the forums!

The FX 9590 does have really high clocks, but being an older architecture it has lower performance for the clockspeed. It's not just about clocks, since a newer CPU will have more transistors (the majigs that do all the math), so it can get more done each clock.

However, if you want the best CPU for video Editing, consider AMD's newest, the Ryzen 7 3700X for $330, which competes in performance with the 9900K (beats it a lot of the time and in fact made tomshardware's best recommendation for a work CPU).

Or for the same price as the 9900K, you can bump up to the Ryzen 9 3900X, a CPU with 12 cores and way better workstation performance.

Hopefully this helped :)

Building a video editing rig, was gonna go with a 9900k but was digging around and came across the FX-9590 which as far as clock speeds it seem better (don't care about power draw and heat, just talking sheer performance) and for a quarter the price it seems hard to pass up on. Now I understand there is probably more to it as far as cache and all that deeper cpu level stuff goes that I am not quite as well versed on. 

Don't care much about export times, more about timeline scrubbing, also do some 3D rendering but am less worried about that. I run the Adobe software, heavy into After Effects and plan to switch over to Nuke Foundry. Also wanting to run Raid 0 M.2 drives and want to know what the bottle necks for that would be.

If someone could just lmk which will take the cake than Id be thankful.

clock speeds are totally irrelevant when comparing processors with such an age gap. the 9900K demolishes the FX 9590 every single way.

As to why that is, processors have "instructions per clock" as well as clock speed, so there may be a lot of clock cycles, but there is a smaller amount of instructions carried out each clock cycle.

Also you specified RAID M.2 drives which would not be feasible with an FX series processor.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah, 9900k absolutely demolishes that fx cpu, choose the 9900k

The FX chip consumes more power, has massively lower single-threaded and multi-threaded performance, and is on an obsolete platform that lacks many modern features.  Unless you are specifically building an old computer for some reason, there's no reason to even consider the 9590, and even then, if you were building something old there's better options.  The 9900k demolishes it in every way if you actually want to do real modern work.  However with that said, the 3900x is even better - more multi-threaded performance and a newer platform for the same price, and with lower power draw.  BTW, you say you don't care about power draw but everyone does whether they realize it or not, because everyone I've ever met cares about money.  Even if the heat factor isn't a problem for your room and comfort, it will be a consideration for your budget as these power hungry chips will require a more expensive cooler.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Welcome to the forums!

The FX 9590 does have really high clocks, but being an older architecture it has lower performance for the clockspeed. It's not just about clocks, since a newer CPU will have more transistors (the majigs that do all the math), so it can get more done each clock.

However, if you want the best CPU for video Editing, consider AMD's newest, the Ryzen 7 3700X for $330, which competes in performance with the 9900K (beats it a lot of the time and in fact made tomshardware's best recommendation for a work CPU).

Or for the same price as the 9900K, you can bump up to the Ryzen 9 3900X, a CPU with 12 cores and way better workstation performance.

Hopefully this helped :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I smell a troll

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x