Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gameonet

9900k vs. FX-9590 Video Editing

Welcome to the forums!

The FX 9590 does have really high clocks, but being an older architecture it has lower performance for the clockspeed. It's not just about clocks, since a newer CPU will have more transistors (the majigs that do all the math), so it can get more done each clock.

However, if you want the best CPU for video Editing, consider AMD's newest, the Ryzen 7 3700X for $330, which competes in performance with the 9900K (beats it a lot of the time and in fact made tomshardware's best recommendation for a work CPU).

Or for the same price as the 9900K, you can bump up to the Ryzen 9 3900X, a CPU with 12 cores and way better workstation performance.

Hopefully this helped :)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Building a video editing rig, was gonna go with a 9900k but was digging around and came across the FX-9590 which as far as clock speeds it seem better (don't care about power draw and heat, just talking sheer performance) and for a quarter the price it seems hard to pass up on. Now I understand there is probably more to it as far as cache and all that deeper cpu level stuff goes that I am not quite as well versed on. 

Don't care much about export times, more about timeline scrubbing, also do some 3D rendering but am less worried about that. I run the Adobe software, heavy into After Effects and plan to switch over to Nuke Foundry. Also wanting to run Raid 0 M.2 drives and want to know what the bottle necks for that would be.

If someone could just lmk which will take the cake than Id be thankful.

Posted (edited)

clock speeds are totally irrelevant when comparing processors with such an age gap. the 9900K demolishes the FX 9590 every single way.

As to why that is, processors have "instructions per clock" as well as clock speed, so there may be a lot of clock cycles, but there is a smaller amount of instructions carried out each clock cycle.

Also you specified RAID M.2 drives which would not be feasible with an FX series processor.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

The FX chip consumes more power, has massively lower single-threaded and multi-threaded performance, and is on an obsolete platform that lacks many modern features.  Unless you are specifically building an old computer for some reason, there's no reason to even consider the 9590, and even then, if you were building something old there's better options.  The 9900k demolishes it in every way if you actually want to do real modern work.  However with that said, the 3900x is even better - more multi-threaded performance and a newer platform for the same price, and with lower power draw.  BTW, you say you don't care about power draw but everyone does whether they realize it or not, because everyone I've ever met cares about money.  Even if the heat factor isn't a problem for your room and comfort, it will be a consideration for your budget as these power hungry chips will require a more expensive cooler.

Posted · Best Answer

Welcome to the forums!

The FX 9590 does have really high clocks, but being an older architecture it has lower performance for the clockspeed. It's not just about clocks, since a newer CPU will have more transistors (the majigs that do all the math), so it can get more done each clock.

However, if you want the best CPU for video Editing, consider AMD's newest, the Ryzen 7 3700X for $330, which competes in performance with the 9900K (beats it a lot of the time and in fact made tomshardware's best recommendation for a work CPU).

Or for the same price as the 9900K, you can bump up to the Ryzen 9 3900X, a CPU with 12 cores and way better workstation performance.

Hopefully this helped :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER PSU Tier List Now.

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Died in a horrible mining accident. Currently looking for used Vega 56s!

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+ + 240GB SSD Plus

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: @Den-Fi が2年前にくれたヘッドフォン

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel i3-2100 (carry over from my old build)
Framepainting-inator: GTX 650 Ti

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz C9

Computerarmor: Ashamed to say

Rememberdoogle: 120GB SP550 + 500GB 2.5" from a laptop

AdditionalPylons: Antec Basiq BP350 (not as loud as @STRMfrmXMN says it is) (actually pretty loud for my standards)

Letterpad: Logitech MK120 bundle

Buttonrodent: See above

Auralnterface: Hah! You wish

Liquidrectangles: Samsung 1600x900 + LG 1440x900

I smell a troll

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 56 8GB // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0Ghz // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB T-Force Vulcan 2667 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // HP Business Mouse