Pc won’t turn on

hiltomedy
  • Hey, i was replacing my cpu cooler as well as adding a new ssd. During this process i removes most wires connecting to my mobo, when i finished i pressed the power button and it won’t turn on. i think it’s with my placement of the power switch and reset cord because i don’t know where to put the positives and negatives. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

C735B14F-CBC4-48A5-995D-C323FF16FDE2.jpeg

9AAFA5E5-F91E-45E8-934A-3BAADCDBC51D.jpeg

image.png.fe9a085778a25aefafdf3e7480765d05.png
Super easy to read the pinout, as they are laid out where the pins are in relation to the connector. Fun fact, if you bridge the power button pins with like a flat blade screwdriver, it'll kick on the computer confirming this. As a heads up, the only section where +ve and -ve matter, are LEDs. Buttons are momentary switches, and just need to be connected briefly (such as with a screw driver). As such, it can go on either way for the button.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

The positive/negative doesn't matter for the power switch since it would just be bridging the two pins to turn your PC on. You can put it in any orientation to restore the functionality of your power button.

32 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

image.png.fe9a085778a25aefafdf3e7480765d05.png
Super easy to read the pinout, as they are laid out where the pins are in relation to the connector. Fun fact, if you bridge the power button pins with like a flat blade screwdriver, it'll kick on the computer confirming this. As a heads up, the only section where +ve and -ve matter, are LEDs. Buttons are momentary switches, and just need to be connected briefly (such as with a screw driver). As such, it can go on either way for the button.

Hey i put the cords in the way you have shown me but my pc still won’t turn on. 

2 minutes ago, hiltomedy said:

Hey i put the cords in the way you have shown me but my pc still won’t turn on. 

What's the make and model of the board? If you just bridge the two pins does it turn on? Is the PSU plugged in and turned on? Did you make sure to plug everything else (ignoring the front panel stuff)?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

4 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

What's the make and model of the board? If you just bridge the two pins does it turn on? Is the PSU plugged in and turned on? Did you make sure to plug everything else (ignoring the front panel stuff)?

my board is an asrock z170 pro 4, i have plugged in everything on my mobo and my psu is also plugged in and turned on, however, what do you mean by bridging the pins? edit: i think i tried bridging, i tried to use a flathead screwdriver and bridge the two but still have the same problem.

by bridging the pins he means, "remove the power button connector" and just use a piece of metal, like a blade screwdriver, to... for lack of better terms "short" the connection between the two pins.

... my question is did you get both the main power connections connected to the mobo?

9 minutes ago, Grav1s said:

by bridging the pins he means, "remove the power button connector" and just use a piece of metal, like a blade screwdriver, to... for lack of better terms "short" the connection between the two pins.

... my question is did you get both the main power connections connected to the mobo?

yes i have and i tried the bridging thing but it didn’t work 

4 minutes ago, hiltomedy said:

yes i have and i tried the bridging thing but it didn’t work 

are both power connectors hooked to the mobo? ummm.. the 16 pin and 8 pin?(pin count might not be right)

... i ask b/c i did this on a rebuild. old board had both connectors next to each other... new board had the 16 pin on the side opposite I/O and 8 pin along the top and i missed the 8 pin and thought i had a dead board.

14 minutes ago, Grav1s said:

are both power connectors hooked to the mobo? ummm.. the 16 pin and 8 pin?(pin count might not be right)

... i ask b/c i did this on a rebuild. old board had both connectors next to each other... new board had the 16 pin on the side opposite I/O and 8 pin along the top and i missed the 8 pin and thought i had a dead board.

if doubt my board is dead however because i have a feature on  my mobo which can give power to a usb while the pc is off, currently my usb mic is on but not my pc

4F9F6C11-6520-4650-BF59-EF57229ED099.jpeg

@hiltomedy that looks like the 24pin connector, there should be an 8 pin also.

Inkedmobo_LI.thumb.jpg.1d96fc3b1fd468ab219faa72cd9ea990.jpghard to tell but might have similar layout to me.. 

yea i do i plugged both those in edit: by 8 and 16 i thought you meant the 24 

5 minutes ago, hiltomedy said:

yea i do i plugged both those in

hmm.... i would go back to basics if it were me.

#1. unplug and replug those 2 connections to make sure they're locked in

#2 stupid to say but make sure your psu is turned on.(even the experienced forget the "ON" switch)

#3, after that... either using the switch or jumping the pins do you get anything on the MOBO at all?

tbh if those two are plugged in correctly you should at least get at the very least some fan spin.

12 minutes ago, Grav1s said:

#2 stupid to say but make sure your psu is turned on.(even the experienced forget the "ON" switch)

#3, after that... either using the switch or jumping the pins do you get anything on the MOBO at all?

tbh if those two are plugged in correctly you should at least get at the very least some fan spin.

alright thanks i’ll try them later 

1 hour ago, Grav1s said:

hey good news is i got my pc to turn but now i have another problem, my mouse and keyboard don’t light up - however my usb mic does - and i wasn’t getting a signal, also i don’t think maybe pc could turn off by pressing the button without flipping the switch on the psu.