New motherboard + old GPU = No Post

Hey guys,

I'm assembling a new build with temporary GPU and PSU and it's not posting at all. No beep. It just reboots every ~30 seconds.

Here're the parts:

• Motherboard: ASRock B450 pro4;
  • Processor: Ryzen 5 3600;
  • RAM: 2x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000 Mhz;
  • GPU: 8500 gt (yeah);
  • PSU: OCZ ModXStream 500w.

The PSU and GPU are a bit old, yeah. But I'm sending this message on them, so they are working just fine.

The store claimed that they updated the BIOS to version P3.20 (for the Ryzen 3000 series to work) and the problem lies on my GPU that is too old. The tech support guy said I'd have to enable SR-IOV SUPPORT on the BIOS.

Does that make any sense? I did a quick search and SR-IOV doesn't appear to have anything to do with GPU compatibility.

SR-IOV is used for virtualization.... so no, that's not correct. What proof do you have that they updated to P3.20? My guess since you get no form of post, is that they didn't update to P3.20 or newer to enable the support. I'd go back to them, and have them show me it's updated before worrying about anything else. Boards not updated will do exactly what you're outlining here. It could also be a dead CPU, or board, or RAM or something as well, but rule out the BIOS first by having them show you. Any self-respecting shop can do that for you.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

1 hour ago, pilger said:

Hey guys,

I'm assembling a new build with temporary GPU and PSU and it's not posting at all. No beep. It just reboots every ~30 seconds.

Here're the parts:

• Motherboard: ASRock B450 pro4;
  • Processor: Ryzen 5 3600;
  • RAM: 2x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000 Mhz;
  • GPU: 8500 gt (yeah);
  • PSU: OCZ ModXStream 500w.

The PSU and GPU are a bit old, yeah. But I'm sending this message on them, so they are working just fine.

The store claimed that they updated the BIOS to version P3.20 (for the Ryzen 3000 series to work) and the problem lies on my GPU that is too old. The tech support guy said I'd have to enable SR-IOV SUPPORT on the BIOS.

Does that make any sense? I did a quick search and SR-IOV doesn't appear to have anything to do with GPU compatibility.

Take out half the ram and reseat the cmos battery.

59 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

SR-IOV is used for virtualization.... so no, that's not correct. What proof do you have that they updated to P3.20? My guess since you get no form of post, is that they didn't update to P3.20 or newer to enable the support. I'd go back to them, and have them show me it's updated before worrying about anything else. Boards not updated will do exactly what you're outlining here. It could also be a dead CPU, or board, or RAM or something as well, but rule out the BIOS first by having them show you. Any self-respecting shop can do that for you.

Thanks. As I suspected. I think I'll do just that.

26 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Take out half the ram and reseat the cmos battery.

Thanks!

I kinda tried a bunch of things already, including:

1. Reseating everything twice (including the CPU);
  2. Checked for bent pins on the CPU while I was reseating;
  3. Using a single RAM stick on every possible slot (tried that with both sticks I got);
  4. Using a 8800 GT (with artifacts) I had lying around;
  5. Using no GPU (still got no beeps);
  6. Using no RAM (still got no beeps);
  7. Clearing the CMOS using the procedure described on the Manual;
  8. Clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery;
  9. Leaving the MoBo without the battery for 8 hours with the jumper for CMOS clearance on.

None of these worked, sadly. So I'm kinda hoping it's the BIOS. Cause if it isn't, something is probably broken.

But if anyone has another idea, I'm all ears. :)

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone stumbles upon the same problem in the future:

I RMAd the MoBo. Tech support said there was nothing wrong with it and they updated the BIOS "just in case". They sent it back to me free of charges as a courtesy, which lead me to believe they sort of forgot to update the BIOS after sending the board to me the first time.

The system booted right away with the Paleozoic 8500 GT and all. Still haven't installed anything on it, but I guess it was the BIOS after all.

Many thanks for the support, guys. ?

18 minutes ago, pilger said:

In case anyone stumbles upon the same problem in the future:

I RMAd the MoBo. Tech support said there was nothing wrong with it and they updated the BIOS "just in case". They sent it back to me free of charges as a courtesy, which lead me to believe they sort of forgot to update the BIOS after sending the board to me the first time.

The system booted right away with the Paleozoic 8500 GT and all. Still haven't installed anything on it, but I guess it was the BIOS after all.

Many thanks for the support, guys. ?

Am I allowed to shout now? "Called it!"

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section