New eSports Room for High School

bcatanzaro

Hi All

So the school I work at is interested in starting an eSports club (possible course elective).  We have an out dated digital classroom will a very good projector and main console Win10 computer, audio and screen.  The 26 lab computers are moving out and 13 better All in Ones are moving in but that's not going to solve our longer term goal to make a full fledged gaming center.  Our goal is to have 10-12 gaming rigs, headsets, controllers, gaming mice/keyboards and at minimum 24" screens,  at least one Nintendo Switch and maybe a PS4 or two.  Longer term, a gaming server...

Now like many schools we are on a shoestring budget so it likely we will need sponsors and donations from our local community.  So my questions are:

1. What hardware should we budget for; is $2000/$3000 unrealistic per rig? is it overkill? although we want to future proof to some extent.
  2. What successes have you guys had in starting up clubs, what works in getting off the ground.
  3. Where are the best of the best deals to be had on decent gear?  I'm sure online but retail is BestBuy, Staples, Walmart, Target, PC Richards here in CT. GameStop too
  4. If we did do shirt and or room sponsors who have you had luck getting on board. We're a Catholic high school so grant opportunities are slim and there is no state educational money available for something like this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/info.
BenC

$2000 - $3000 isn't unrealistic, in-fact, you can build a really good system for $1500. It really is best to buy online, but the Best Buy here will price match, so I'd see if the price match online for you as well. Never really started a club in HS, however at my college in a professional writing class we had an assignment. We created a business plan for a "gaming lounge" on campus for students to go and relax in to kill time in between classes.

$1000, USD or CAD, makes a rockin gaming PC, or at least one I'd be thoroughly pleased to use. Don't go overboard on the peripherals, there are inexpensive 10 keyless and 60% mechanical keyboards out there, and an inexpensive 1080p 144Hz monitor (sub $200 USD) does a hell of a job for esports.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Approach PC distributors and system integrators in your region and ask for bulk quotes. You can try retailers but they'll probably give you worse deals.

Compare quotes to standard online pricing, then go with cheapest but best warranty and tech support.

Try lowering the price by offering free promotions to the contract winner at school for some period of time.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

For esports you don't need that beasty rig. As you only look for frames per second, not how beautiful it looks. So something capable running heavy esports title at low graphics 144fps (160fps+ to avoid massive drops). Heaviest titles are probably PUBG, BO3/4 and R6S.

So $1500 per rig, maybe even including peripherals and/or monitor should be good.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv