Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Radiolint

Hard freezing, unstable stock clocks, want to burn it in fire

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm seriously about to sell every HEDT part in this machine & burn it, not even curse someone else by selling it to them. I can only come up with that this machine is somehow cursed. Please, if you can help at all, I wouldn't be able to thank you enough. I'm at my wits end.

I made a thread maybe a few months ago about how my cpu temps were climbing and I was getting some crashing, here's the thread here to try & not be too long winded & repetitive:

So things have still been getting slowly, progressively worse, to where now I can't play anything even remotely graphics intensive or it will crash after 10-15 mins. Reinstalled win 10 twice more, tried keeping installed programs to a min, or installed what I normally would. No difference. No issues making themselves overtly shown at all with the cpu or gpu, cpu runs 45-60c, gpu doesn't even hit 45c, & both are at stock speeds because I have ptsd from overclocking & this damn machine. Same goes for running intensive programs like rendering in Sony Vegas or creating in Adobe After Effects (the main reason I went HEDT). It will begin to render or I'll set AE to cache a huge scene to ram or something so I can preview a scrub or something, & eventually in 10-15 mins it'll just freeze. No blue screen, just 100% lock up freeze, hold power button to turn off. 

Its getting to a point where I'm so angry and fed up I have no clue not only what the hell the problem could be, but how to fix it, that I'm thinking of just scrapping the entire machine and just going 1151 or ryzen something. I know some computer parts are like new cars, they can depreciate the second you buy them, but that's an insanely expensive thing to do. Of course it's my luck ryzen 3 launched recently and made the value of my 7940x drop even more. I almost hope it could be the cpu though, that way I'd A) solve the problem, and B) not be replacing another $2k in motherboard and ram, and not lose out on being able to utilize this machine for what I wanted to do in the first damn place (not just play games).

I just wanted to ask you guys for any last ideas or literally any help you can think of before I rip this machine apart and sell it for probably a 1/3rd of what I paid for it just 16 fkin months ago. I don't want to sell it, but it's not a functioning PC anymore, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it one anymore. If I have to sell any parts, it'd make more sense to just blow it up and start over with something a lot cheaper, but I'm not particularly fond of literally burning thousands of dollars. 

Again, thanks for anything you can come up with. I do appreciate it. 

Maybe motherboard, maybe cpu, maybe even PSU?

Maybe try a different boot drive, maybe a bad drive is causing the issue?

But try posting the question in 10-12 hours, when people are awake.

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Maybe motherboard, maybe cpu, maybe even PSU?

Maybe try a different boot drive, maybe a bad drive is causing the issue?

But try posting the question in 10-12 hours, when people are awake.

Yeah I figured posting this at this time wasn't great, but needed to do something to not be overly "impulsive" and rip everything out and craigslist it. 

Yep, tried different install on a fresh 120gb ssd from the 960 pro dimm.2 it was originally on, no luck. 

I'm really....reeeeeally hoping it's not a motherboard or the cpu. Strange it'd be so slow and gradual like this. 

One thing I've found out, is if you have a monoblock for the cpu, when you delided it and reapply the ihs, apparantley it can seal too high or too low so the contact at the monoblock plate to the ihs, or to the vrms is off. I don't know if this would cause the random freezing, but it would likely rationalize the weird temps. Rockitcool has a completely copper, and flat, replacement ihs that I think I'm going to try, as well as check what size thermal pads go to the vrms on the monoblock. If they're 1mm, maybe go to 0.5mm, and see if it helps with better contact overall. 

Dear lord do I hate random, 0.1% stupid ass problems that never, ever fail to find me. I'm like a fucking goldilocks with this shit. 

3 minutes ago, Radiolint said:

Dear lord do I hate random, 0.1% stupid ass problems that never, ever fail to find me. I'm like a fucking goldilocks with this shit. 

Yeah, that is the worst part of building PC's. On paper, everything is perfect, but in reality, something is off for no reason.