Need a temporary solution to stop GPU from overheating

dumbuz
Go to solution Solved by dumbuz,
On 8/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

Clean dust?

Problem solved. The thing maxes out at 65C now.

Dear LinusTechTips community, 

I need a temporary solution to my XFX RX580 overheating, all the time. WIthin 30 minutes of folding, my safety measures (HWiNFO automatically running shutdown.exe when either GPU or CPU reach max temp) kick in and shutdown the pc. This is a catastrophe! The room temperature of my house is 80F+ (26c) and I can never leave my PC folding. So how does one cool this GPU without using external fans, (yes I tried using an industrial fan to cool my gpu) or any expensive cooling system.

Specs of the PC are on my profile page.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Do you have good cooling in your case?

Clean dust?

Re-apply thermal compound?

My friend recently re-applied thermal compound to an old RX card. Apparently they dry out really easily. I assume you've tried increasing the fan speed through software?

2 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Do you have good cooling in your case?

Clean dust?

Re-apply thermal compound?

I'll try it tomorrow! 9:50p here.

Just now, dumbuz said:

I'll try it tomorrow! 9:50p here. 

Do you have reference or non-reference RX 580?

1 minute ago, KageSong said:

increasing the fan speed through software?

Oh yes. Any time this card is folding, I set the fan speed to max using MSI Afterburner.

1 minute ago, dumbuz said:

Oh yes. Any time this card is folding, I set the fan speed to max using MSI Afterburner.

Okay, hope it wasn't offensive to check. Sometimes it's something small we overlook.

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

Do you have reference or non-reference RX 580?

What's the difference? I can try to tell you the model number if that helps.

Just now, dumbuz said:

What's the difference? I can try to tell you the model number if that helps. 

Reference cooling is potato. Non-reference like Sapphire Nitro offers better cooling and goodies.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Reference cooling is potato. Non-reference like Sapphire Nitro offers better cooling and goodies.

Got it. Most likely reference then. This thing usually stays exactly at 78C when under full load during night, during the day it stays at around 78C for 5 minutes than goes to 80.

Just now, dumbuz said:

Got it. Most likely reference then. This thing usually stays exactly at 78C when under full load during night, during the day it stays at around 78C for 5 minutes than goes to 80. 

Probably want to check your case cooling. You want to balance the negative and the positive air pressure. Clean dust, and re-apply thermal compound. Did you try to change the fan speed?

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

Probably want to check your case cooling. You want to balance the negative and the positive air pressure. Clean dust, and re-apply thermal compound. Did you try to change the fan speed?

Fan speed is always at 100%. Gotta go now.

Air flow in the case is everything.

Use all your case  fans slots with decent fans!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 hours ago, dumbuz said:

What's the shutdown temp set to? 80C is hot, but still over 10C away from dangerous temps. I game on 80C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I agree, 80 C is not "HOLY CRAP KILL THE POWER NOW!" hot.

Sounds like case airflow is inadequate as others have mentioned.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

On 8/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, KageSong said:

My friend recently re-applied thermal compound to an old RX card. Apparently they dry out really easily. I assume you've tried increasing the fan speed through software?

How old is old? I've had this computer for 7 months, do you really think it could dry out that quickly?

On 8/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

Clean dust?

Problem solved. The thing maxes out at 65C now.

So, dust was the problem the whole time? I'd invest in an air compressor. That's what I use once a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 5:15 PM, KageSong said:

So, dust was the problem the whole time? I'd invest in an air compressor. That's what I use once a month or so.

I used an air compressor.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, dumbuz said:

I used an air compressor.

Awesome. I hope you keep having good luck with it. I'm looking for a better thermal solution for my tower right now. I wanna see if I can push my 1660 a bit more, but probably not.