Little cousin's build *NO NEED FOR FURTHER INPUT*

Go to solution Solved by thx1138,
59 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Are you trying to say that the X470 Gaming Plus has better VRMs than the B450 Pro Carbon AC?.. The Gaming Plus is at the low end VRM pool of the X470 series, and midrange in the B450 series.

If the Gaming Plus costs $120 and a wifi adapter costs $15 that's $135 compared to the better quality Pro Carbon board with included wifi.

He's putting a stock 2600 in this thing... So he could literally use a VDH board and be fine if he wanted.

I mean you literally selected the D3SH as your low end suggestion, which had pretty severe overheating results during stress testing. The A-Pro is the low end board to go with...

Edit: I see I linked the AORUS Pro :P I meant to go with the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Though for a 2600 the AORUS elite is plenty.

I gave my opinion on what I would buy at his chosen price point of $120(The VRM is good enough and give benefits of x470. Which is what I would pick personally) However for r5 you don't NEED an amazing board....so you could choose cheaper...

I do not like wifi built in. Drivers. physical damage, can't transfer it to another computer if you begin to want the benefits of Wired Networking. added manufacturing cost/complexity to the board, when I would want that allocated to other things. Unable to upgrade.

USB wifi Has extremely little issues and can be fixed quite readily, easily.

though I did agree with your above post (if you didn't notice). There are tons of options for decent enough AM4 boards that you just have to decide what you want and can get it.

VRM wise the B450 Tomahawk and the X470 gaming plus are very similar, with a smaller heatsink on the x470. for a 3600 or possible upgrades. both are a go to for AM4 socket, with great features at the price point. The pro carbon b450 is also a good choice if you don't want the 2nd NVME and want the WIfi

oh..and i wasn't comparing the pro carbon. but the aorus pro. with the MSI choices.

This is decently useful
58am663beh931.png

*NO NEED FOR FURTHER INPUT*

Hello, my aunt asked me to make a list for a Gaming PC for her son, I made this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bullet4Justice/saved/hNrn7P (Updated after recommendations, please share your input furthermore)

the main goal of the build is to run current-gen games without getting outdated superfast and maintaining low cost. if you have any improvements for the build I would appreciate it. budget wise it shouldn't get past 750 USD but lower if possible is better. I really want to help them buy a good pc that would run the games he needs without having problems that come up in the future, you know how it is with family. thanks.

Edited by Bullet4Justice

okay...Little hard without knowing his monitor or games he would want to play...or if Wifi is required..........Price/Perf

the 2600 is okay though a 3400g would be fine

No need for a heatsink...that can be a later upgrade....Scythe or Noctua for optimal price/perf

for 120$ I would grab a x470 Msi Gaming Plus or a b450 Tomahawk or cheapen that down to a Gigabyte DS3H

decent USB Wifi is 10(on sale)-30$

If you are gonna stick him with a 500gb HDD why not add a 120gb SSD(inland proffessional) for $20(or better a 240g for 30$)? or at least a 1TB(Seagate Barracuda) for 38$-42 or a 500gb ssd for 50$

WHY A 1050Ti?????!!!!!  a 570 is cheaper and significantly better...and you are almost at a 580 price point!!! I have a 1050ti...please...I know the 570 is better...don't stick him with this...please........

Case wise....either a 20$ cheapo or a 30-40$ Versa.....your $50 seems a bit high. but cases are personal

a Seasonic s12III 500w 80+ Gold is cheaper (on sale right now.) and better

How's this? If any changes are nescessary;

You can change the MoBo for one with WiFi, and remove the CPU cooler. You can also get a cheaper case.

Build something like this instead...

Replace the Vega 56 with a rx580 if you want to cut down the cost. Rx580 will still be great for 1080p gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($133.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC Crystal-P3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.97 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $741.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-20 02:10 EDT-0400

PSU link - https://www.newegg.com/bitfenix-formula-gold-series-bp-fm550ulag-7r-550w/p/N82E16817376010?item=9SIAGRZ79W9759

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

11 hours ago, intelisfornoobs said:

Good budget build.

What types of games is he going to be playing?

@Bullet4Justice

you know Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League, games a kid would play.

7 hours ago, thx1138 said:

okay...Little hard without knowing his monitor or games he would want to play...or if Wifi is required..........Price/Perf

the 2600 is okay though a 3400g would be fine

No need for a heatsink...that can be a later upgrade....Scythe or Noctua for optimal price/perf

for 120$ I would grab a x470 Msi Gaming Plus or a b450 Tomahawk or cheapen that down to a Gigabyte DS3H

decent USB Wifi is 10(on sale)-30$

If you are gonna stick him with a 500gb HDD why not add a 120gb SSD(inland proffessional) for $20(or better a 240g for 30$)? or at least a 1TB(Seagate Barracuda) for 38$-42 or a 500gb ssd for 50$

WHY A 1050Ti?????!!!!!  a 570 is cheaper and significantly better...and you are almost at a 580 price point!!! I have a 1050ti...please...I know the 570 is better...don't stick him with this...please........

Case wise....either a 20$ cheapo or a 30-40$ Versa.....your $50 seems a bit high. but cases are personal

a Seasonic s12III 500w 80+ Gold is cheaper (on sale right now.) and better

you know Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League, games a kid would play, thanks for the info, I will definitely consider the improvements you mentioned.

7 hours ago, Catchears said:

How's this? If any changes are nescessary;

You can change the MoBo for one with WiFi, and remove the CPU cooler. You can also get a cheaper case.

6 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Build something like this instead...

Replace the Vega 56 with a rx580 if you want to cut down the cost. Rx580 will still be great for 1080p gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($133.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC Crystal-P3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.97 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $741.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-20 02:10 EDT-0400

PSU link - https://www.newegg.com/bitfenix-formula-gold-series-bp-fm550ulag-7r-550w/p/N82E16817376010?item=9SIAGRZ79W9759

both of your builds are great but my point of view is that the kid won't give a crap if his game loaded faster with an SSD or if he had 16 GB of ram cuz he will only game on it so 8 GB is just fine, you picked nice looking cases with a price increase that's not necessary. all those kind of stuff won't matter to a kid and will add up to 150 USD worth of costs. although you guys put non-wifi motherboards and lowered the price massively that could be something I'll have to look into, thanks for the input, really appreciated

14 hours ago, Bullet4Justice said:

Hello, my aunt asked me to make a list for a Gaming PC for her son, I made this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bullet4Justice/saved/hNrn7P

the main goal of the build is to run current-gen games without getting outdated superfast and maintaining low cost. if you have any improvements for the build I would appreciate it. budget wise it shouldn't get past 750 USD but lower if possible is better. I really want to help them buy a good pc that would run the games he needs without having problems that come up in the future, you know how it is with family. thanks.

alright guys, I updated quite a bit of stuff.

You X470 Gaming Plus motherboard is unnecessarily overkill (and frankly for the price, it's pretty low quality.)

You could grab a pretty sizeable savings by grabbing a B450 A-Pro, Pro 4, B450M Bazooka, or even just the B450M Gaming Plus if you like the black and red color scheme. 

If wifi is a need, grab this board https://pcpartpicker.com/product/43BTwP/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10

for high quality, similar price to your current choice, and wifi included so you can drop that extension. 

You could certainly put those savings into the GPU, and grab an RX 580 as an upgrade.

2400mhz RAM is super detrimental to 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs. You'll want between 3000-3200mhz.

2 hours ago, Bullet4Justice said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($133.00 @ Amazon) stock cooler is good enough.
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Amazon) more than good enough while also having wifi.
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) only $20 but if he wants to play anything more intensive it'll come in handy.
Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($36.89 @ OutletPC) having an SSD for a boot drive makes the rig feel much more responsive, nobody sensible buys an SSD just to store games.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($36.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $602.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-20 12:13 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($133.00 @ Amazon) stock cooler is good enough.
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Amazon) more than good enough while also having wifi.
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) only $20 but if he wants to play anything more intensive it'll come in handy.
Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($36.89 @ OutletPC) having an SSD for a boot drive makes the rig feel much more responsive, nobody sensible buys an SSD just to store games.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($36.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $602.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-20 12:13 EDT-0400

,,,,,my computer is left on for days/weeks/months...so boot time is almost meaningless....

The 10-30 seconds of loading time for heavily modded games........being cut down to <10 seconds.....

and I use Junctions and Links in Windows to move games to my ssd and away when I fill it past 70%

8 hours ago, trevb0t said:

You X470 Gaming Plus motherboard is unnecessarily overkill (and frankly for the price, it's pretty low quality.)

You could grab a pretty sizeable savings by grabbing a B450 A-Pro, Pro 4, B450M Bazooka, or even just the B450M Gaming Plus if you like the black and red color scheme. 

If wifi is a need, grab this board https://pcpartpicker.com/product/43BTwP/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10

for high quality, similar price to your current choice, and wifi included so you can drop that extension. 

You could certainly put those savings into the GPU, and grab an RX 580 as an upgrade.

2400mhz RAM is super detrimental to 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs. You'll want between 3000-3200mhz.

the mobo you mentioned is literally the one I had in the old list but they told me to get this one instead then get wifi adapter, I'm torn. and for the RAM I will definitely make the adjustment you mentioned.

8 hours ago, Bullet4Justice said:

It looks pretty good. I would go to a Dual channel setup for the RAM since it does help in some cases. and ryzen does like speed...so if not much more...a 2666/3000/3200 kit would be badass

Bequeit is a great heatsink brand. but if extremely budget minded the stock heatsink is perfectly fine for non-OC, and I think the 42$ Mugen 5 is too good price/perf to spend anything more than 20$ on a cheaper heatsink.

but generally looks pretty good. and if the cousin does get into computers at all..this thing is set for future upgrades (like the 3000 series after the 4000 series comes out) and having the two NVME slots, though you could cheapen mb if extremely budget.

....when I was 14-16 my parents went behind my back and got my cousin to build me a computer(he is software guy, dabbles in hardware)
and he completely screwed me over. It;s awesome that you care to put effort for your family, and I hope they realize and appreciate it.

7 minutes ago, Bullet4Justice said:

the mobo you mentioned is literally the one I had in the old list but they told me to get this one instead then get wifi adapter, I'm torn. and for the RAM I will definitely make the adjustment you mentioned.

main reason i would say different mobo is that with the better VRM, case airflow shouldn't matter. even if they put on carpet and floor, and features, and cost difference...and future thought...and support.

also. that mb had some quality(cost) cut to add in wifi. so generally better to avoid built-in. not to mention wifi security flaws, or if you break the connectors...hard to replace...driver issues....

and if cheap case with generally bad airflow...I would future proof possible future problems...

1 hour ago, thx1138 said:

main reason i would say different mobo is that with the better VRM, case airflow shouldn't matter. even if they put on carpet and floor, and features, and cost difference...and future thought...and support.

also. that mb had some quality(cost) cut to add in wifi. so generally better to avoid built-in. not to mention wifi security flaws, or if you break the connectors...hard to replace...driver issues....

and if cheap case with generally bad airflow...I would future proof possible future problems...

Are you trying to say that the X470 Gaming Plus has better VRMs than the B450 Pro Carbon AC?.. The Gaming Plus is at the low end VRM pool of the X470 series, and midrange in the B450 series.

If the Gaming Plus costs $120 and a wifi adapter costs $15 that's $135 compared to the better quality Pro Carbon board with included wifi.

He's putting a stock 2600 in this thing... So he could literally use a VDH board and be fine if he wanted.

I mean you literally selected the D3SH as your low end suggestion, which had pretty severe overheating results during stress testing. The A-Pro is the low end board to go with...

Edit: I see I linked the AORUS Pro :P I meant to go with the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Though for a 2600 the AORUS elite is plenty.

59 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I gave my opinion on what I would buy at his chosen price point of $120(The VRM is good enough and give benefits of x470. Which is what I would pick personally) However for r5 you don't NEED an amazing board....so you could choose cheaper...

I do not like wifi built in. Drivers. physical damage, can't transfer it to another computer if you begin to want the benefits of Wired Networking. added manufacturing cost/complexity to the board, when I would want that allocated to other things. Unable to upgrade.

USB wifi Has extremely little issues and can be fixed quite readily, easily.

though I did agree with your above post (if you didn't notice). There are tons of options for decent enough AM4 boards that you just have to decide what you want and can get it.

VRM wise the B450 Tomahawk and the X470 gaming plus are very similar, with a smaller heatsink on the x470. for a 3600 or possible upgrades. both are a go to for AM4 socket, with great features at the price point. The pro carbon b450 is also a good choice if you don't want the 2nd NVME and want the WIfi

oh..and i wasn't comparing the pro carbon. but the aorus pro. with the MSI choices.

This is decently useful
58am663beh931.png

On 8/19/2019 at 6:40 PM, Bullet4Justice said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bullet4Justice/saved/hNrn7P (Updated after recommendations, please share your input furthermore)

Unless your cousin is overclocking, (if the board supports overclocking) the stock cooler is more than good.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:40 PM, Bullet4Justice said:

I would always recommend Corsair rmx no matter the budget.