The Biggest Bottleneck EVER? - LattePanda + RTX Titan

AlexTheGreatish

No, this is the biggest bottleneck ever:

cd8728dc-cfa0-4ad9-ac97-d6a3e8d7b1e3.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Where is part 2 of the ricer PC?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

where is the F@H test of the 100,000 dollar PC?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I'm curious if the SSD was even running close enough to "SSD speeds". Because assuming RAM wasn't a problem and the SSD was running more or less at "SSD speeds", it does bring another component about loading times people don't bring up often: the CPU is still involved in the loading process.

I would kill for an AMD APU version of that.

Still wondering why no one has made an M.2 GPU yet, could replace MXM stuff for some laptops maybe.

Or AMD could include it with some Ryzen CPUs that lack dedicated graphics just to get a video output or something.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Well, at least we know why MacBook 12" did not bother to include Thunderbolt 3 now.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Ok. But how about getting a USB3380 and seeing if you can connect a GPU to a phone?

The USB3380 is a "reverse" PCIe USB adapter that lets you attach up to a PCIe gen2 x1 device to a USB 3.0 controller.

There's a video the manufacturer has that shows them using it to attach a GPU to a laptop over USB, so this should definitely be possible:

I've done a little digging and pulled together some more technical details about software support if you're interested:

Drivers for the USB3380 have been in the mainline linux kernel since 2014 (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/adc82f77bee3487651f8ad253fb1c8a7bf4ec658), and are merged into android since at least Nougat (https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/refs/heads/android-3.18-n-release/include/linux/usb/usb338x.h), so this adapter _should_ be supported in some sense on most Android phones.

For basic 'hello world' initial display output you can use the default direct rendering manager system without any GPU-specific drivers, but if you want accelerated graphics you'll probably need to root the phone and install the driver manually.

For NVidia as far as I can tell the best driver available for ARM is 384.69 (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123130/en-us), meaning you may be limited to 1080 Ti and older, or you may have to use nouveau.

For AMD you can build their AMDGPU open-source driver from source for arm, but it doesn't look like there's a precompiled driver available.

Edit - just found the pricetag; the USB3380-AB EVK-RC kit with all the accessories needed to make it work is $362 USD (plus $48 shipping). The purchase link isn't that obvious though, from the first page I linked you have to scroll down to http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/USB3380EVB.html#TabbedPanels1, click the "USB3380-AB EVK-RC" tab and then just click directly on the paypal icon. (Note, you'll also need a USB 3.0 type C "otg" adapter, but those are easy enough to come by.)

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Have you ever wanted to see a really bad CPU bottleneck? Like the kind where you can barely access half of your GPUs potential? That's kinda weird... but also this is the perfect video for you

How about a CPU/GPU combo so extreme, that graphics card doesn't even see the Fire Strike Ultra test, to be worthy of using full 3D boost clock on ?
BkgLDaJ.png
Valid : https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/26532269

Also, this CPU isn't compatible with Turing (aka RTX) and Volta GPUs.
Reason : No 64-bit support.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

If this thing gets released, you guys should test out the UDOO with the Soldered Ryzen APU.  There's actually a video that has one so I believe it's already made but https://www.udoo.org/udoo-bolt/

Would be a great follow up to something like this.

Built this guy a few days ago...and my spec sheet sounds similar to Linus's build: 4 thread Intel* CPU (albeit Intel's 1st quad core desktop CPU) + 8GB ram (albeit DDR2) with recent high end graphics

Unfortunately this is the build I'm using while I wait for parts (9700KF)

*I'm obligated by company policy to disclose that I'm an Intel employee when I talk about Intel on social media.

68607572_686125105132675_6091794811633795072_n.png

I'm so glad I can have my non-toxic rug shipped to Kaneda...

7 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

where is the F@H test of the 100,000 dollar PC?

If I remember correctly, they've had that in the works for a while. So long that I think @jakkuh_t used one of the iterations for the last folding month event.

Hey Linus ! 

I’m fairly new to Arduino and was wondering if there would be a follow up video on how you guys set up your sensor with the LattePanda.  

8 hours ago, AJMansfield said:

The USB3380 is a "reverse" PCIe USB adapter that lets you attach up to a PCIe gen2 x1 device to a USB 3.0 controller.

Drivers for the USB3380 have been in the mainline linux kernel since 2014 (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/adc82f77bee3487651f8ad253fb1c8a7bf4ec658), and are merged into android since at least Nougat (https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/refs/heads/android-3.18-n-release/include/linux/usb/usb338x.h), so this adapter _should_ be supported in some sense on most Android phones.

For NVidia as far as I can tell the best driver available for ARM is 384.69 (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123130/en-us), meaning you may be limited to 1080 Ti and older, or you may have to use nouveau.

For AMD you can build their AMDGPU open-source driver from source for arm, but it doesn't look like there's a precompiled driver available.

PCIe itself is pretty flexible, you could send messages over a serial line if one was up to the task.

The problem is that Android itself doesn't really support mainline Mesa, it has its own version of the 3D libraries which may not necessarily support desktop GPUs. The best bet would be to run an ARM version of desktop Linux with mainline libraries, but that's going into custom ROM territory and probably outside LTT's scope.

Also, the drivers your linked are for 32-bit legacy ARM devices, which won't work on 64-bit smartphones (most of them nowadays).

@AlexTheGreatish about the pi-hole video mentioned in this one...if it's one of your projects...I've been running pi-hole for awhile... followed instructions a friend gave me...but I really have no idea what I did...I just typed what he told me to type, and it works.  I'm rather sad that I actually don't know what I was doing with this (which is how I often feel when dealing with linux...I follow recipes, and stuff works, but i don';t know why), so I'd love if the video..or the thread...might share some resources for understanding why the steps are what they are)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

15 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I would kill for an AMD APU version of that.

Still wondering why no one has made an M.2 GPU yet, could replace MXM stuff for some laptops maybe.

Or AMD could include it with some Ryzen CPUs that lack dedicated graphics just to get a video output or something.

Mxm supplies power. M.2 is obviously hardcore power limited cause it has fewer and smaller pins

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

11 hours ago, Rpbeast33 said:

Hey Linus ! 

I’m fairly new to Arduino and was wondering if there would be a follow up video on how you guys set up your sensor with the LattePanda.  

It's a pretty simple little project so you can just follow this guide.

8 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

@AlexTheGreatish about the pi-hole video mentioned in this one...if it's one of your projects...I've been running pi-hole for awhile... followed instructions a friend gave me...but I really have no idea what I did...I just typed what he told me to type, and it works.  I'm rather sad that I actually don't know what I was doing with this (which is how I often feel when dealing with linux...I follow recipes, and stuff works, but i don';t know why), so I'd love if the video..or the thread...might share some resources for understanding why the steps are what they are)

It's a Jake video, and just went up on Floatplane! #shamelessplug

Aren't most Sata based M.2 drives B+M key? Maybe it is intended to be used with such drives.

Big fail IMO.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, unixFTW said:

Built this guy a few days ago...and my spec sheet sounds similar to Linus's build: 4 thread Intel* CPU (albeit Intel's 1st quad core desktop CPU) + 8GB ram (albeit DDR2) with recent high end graphics

Unfortunately this is the build I'm using while I wait for parts (9700KF)

*I'm obligated by company policy to disclose that I'm an Intel employee when I talk about Intel on social media.

68607572_686125105132675_6091794811633795072_n.png

dG4PoYP.png

Can you guys share the link for the M.2 adapter from e key to m key?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:24 AM, thicc_boi said:

Mxm supplies power. M.2 is obviously hardcore power limited cause it has fewer and smaller pins

Sure but you can just run a power connector for the M.2 GPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 8/20/2019 at 1:24 AM, Foxlet said:

PCIe itself is pretty flexible, you could send messages over a serial line if one was up to the task.

Yeah, PCIe could probably enumerate over strips of tinfoil and bits of wet string if you had the right sort of transceivers at either end, moving PCIe signals around isn't an issue if you don't care about bandwidth or latency. But many GPUs do have actual minimum bandwidth requirements below which they can't actually be made to function, even if you are still able to poke said GPU over the bus.

The point of the USB3380 is that it can add a real PCIe bus to a system's device tree, off of an existing USB bus, in a way that's transparent to other kernel drivers, and more importantly that it's reasonably fast, providing a full 1x gen2 (500MB/s) connection.

While some modern mobile platforms do actually have a PCIe bus (e.g. snapdragon 855 has one lane), most smaller SoCs don't have one at all, and when they do it's almost always used for platform functions, not exposed in a way that would allow connecting an expansion card.

But modern phones do expose fast USB 3 interfaces, and in theory they should be able to support a USB3380, letting you connect a PCIe GPU to a kernel driver on the phone.

The problem is that Android itself doesn't really support mainline Mesa, it has its own version of the 3D libraries which may not necessarily support desktop GPUs. The best bet would be to run an ARM version of desktop Linux with mainline libraries, but that's going into custom ROM territory and probably outside LTT's scope.

Ah, didn't know that about Android. But, given LTT released a video only a few months ago in which they installed LineageOS on an old LG G3, installing a mainline rom wouldn't really be out of scope for them:

Still, you may be right that this would be more in some other tech tuber's wheelhouse.

Also, the drivers your linked are for 32-bit legacy ARM devices, which won't work on 64-bit smartphones (most of them nowadays).

Guess it would have to be nouveau or an AMD card then. That's probably for the best anyway though, given the way nvidia's drivers interact with the linux DRM stack. I can't imagine it'd be easy to get their blobs to play nice if you need to run them alongside a kernel DRM driver for Adreno/Mali/etc so you can still use the phone's own screen, given they barely even work alongside the intel integrated graphics drivers in windows to support "normal" thunderbolt eGPU functionality.