Keyboard disconnecting and reconnecting at random times

Hi Forums,

So recently i upgraded my pc with a new motherboard, ram, cooler and cpu, but with this motherboard i am having the problem that my keyboard is disconnecting for a split second at random intervals.

i have already tried setting that windows can't disable the device to save power, i don't see any USB drivers for my motherboard, nor can i see any settings in the bios for where i can increase the max power delivered by the USB connections. there are no driver updates for the keyboard and usb devices when i go into device manage (i know this isn't the best way but my previous system worked perfectly fine). my previous motherboard was an asus prime X370-pro, and currently i have an asus ROG Strix X570-e. regarding power delivery i only have one 4 pin CPU connector not connected, but that shouldn't interfere with USB power delivery i believe. so if anyone has a fix/suggestion for this problem, i'd be very grateful for the help

How long is the USB cable and are you using any hubs in between?

Did you try a different USB port? You might have more luck with a USB 2.0 port.

it is just directly the cable from the keyboard plugged in the back, no hubs, extensions or anything. i have tried some other USB ports, and on my rear panel i don't have any USB 2.0 ports, only higher.

11 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

it is just directly the cable from the keyboard plugged in the back, no hubs, extensions or anything. i have tried some other USB ports, and on my rear panel i don't have any USB 2.0 ports, only higher.

In that case, I'd recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer and your keyboard manufacturer. One of them should be able to help you out.
In case your keyboard has a detachable cable, try a different cable.

You can also try to use the USB 2.0 port on the front of your case if it has one.

Reinstalling USB drivers for the keyboard could also help, but I doubt that.

alright, well, i'll try if maybe there are some ports that are willing to function on my rear panel, and otherwise i can try if having it connected via my monitor's pass-through usb works, otherwise i'll indeed have to contact my motherboard manufacturer or keyboard manufacturer (would be second time for that one...)

1 minute ago, Gameking002 said:

alright, well, i'll try if maybe there are some ports that are willing to function on my rear panel, and otherwise i can try if having it connected via my monitor's pass-through usb works, otherwise i'll indeed have to contact my motherboard manufacturer or keyboard manufacturer (would be second time for that one...)

The USB pass-through/hub on your monitor seems like a good idea because they're usually additionally powered by the monitor.

though my audio passthrough might be too short for that now that i think of it...

Got to the motherboards page on the manufacturer website and install all necessary drivers and the most recent bios update from there, so far the X570 boards have had several since release for memory issues and some other hot-fixes. Device manager is terrible for getting updates, and can cause a lot of issues because the ones it has are usually months out of date. Also with X570 you may want that extra 4-pin connected, most of the time it's just for overclocking and things like that but with Pcie gen 4 and all the extras X570 has you'll probably want that extra power if you can't it should still be fine, I think your issue is driver/software related.

Main Desktop:CPU - i9-14900k聽|聽Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4聽|聽GPU- ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090聽|聽RAM- Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz聽|聽AIO- H150i Pro XT聽|聽PSU- Corsair RM1000X |聽Case- Phanteks P500A Digital - White聽|聽Storage- Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB聽 |

TV Streaming PC:聽Intel聽NucCPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage聽- 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4- Phantom Black 512GB |

i believe this issue might be bigger than just my keyboard, i have swapped my mouse and keyboard's ports, but now it's my mouse that is occasionally disconnecting...

at least that helps to diagnose that its not the keyboard but the connection on the motherboard itself, but not really much closer to fixing it.

Edit: now that i think of it, those two ports that seem to be misbehaving, are right under my secondary lan port, which i disabled the controller from because i figured i'd never need it, so why have it turned on...

i'll try activating that once more and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Edit 2: nope, didn't fix it :(