Locking of older Guides and Tutorials threads

2FA

So I have a single guide that I've made on the forum in 2016, which at this point is slightly out of date but wouldn't take much to update content wise and fix images that are broken. Since making it, it has been locked twice due to "necro" replies which doesn't make sense to me when it comes the concept of guides. The first time, it was unlocked at my request as I pointed out locking guides is not helpful if someone replies after a period of inactivity of the thread. I was at least notified by the mod who locked the thread that they were locking it through a PM. The second time being locked, I was not notified and didn't even realize it was locked until a user that had recently joined PM'd me asking about the guide because they couldn't in the thread. I still don't know when that locking occurred either.

TL;DR I don't think Guides/Tutorials should be locked due to "necro."  I had suggested this to the original mod and they agreed..

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I agree. Its probably only subforum where necroing isn't issue. But I know that there are users on forums who think 2 weeks is enough for necro in some other sections, like Tech News.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You're right, topics like that shouldn't be locked. We recently updated our internal policies to clarify that (when discussing another topic in a similar situation).

I have unlocked your topic.

HTTP/2 203

I agree. In general the hatred of necroposting seems overblown to me.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

It's never bothered me personally. I just accept that the general forum etiquette is to avoid it... 

*shrug*

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Compare it to your mother showing your baby photos or telling stories about when you were little to your gf and other friends you've made as adult. Or any time someone starts discussion on topic that was relevant 3 years ago.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv