Cheap solution for running newer android apps?

phn20

I have rooted Galaxy S4 but the android version is 4.3 and many apps don't work with it anymore. I don't want to reset or change anything on it.

What can i buy that is very popular (lots of support and forum resources) with easy rooting guides so i can run banking mobile apps, fake GPS, Waze, VPN, freeze apps, etc.

My best idea is a used Galaxy S6 for under $100. But I realized that i'm thinking inside the box and maybe a tablet, chromebook, or something else is a better solution.

As a PCMR I know next to nothing about phones and android. I have tried Nox emulator with a GTX 1060 but things just don't work right (specifically, using a picture as camera input).

It will only be used indoors. No SIM card or service; only wifi. Very basic camera to take pictures of checks for mobile deposit. 

Anything under $200 used is fine. Under $100 used is perfect. And if you say to try Nox emulator again that is also valid advice.

Thank you for your suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone suggestions? A used S4, S6, S8? Maybe a tablet works better? I just need to install rooted ROM with Android 5 or newer to do mobile check deposits.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking about the Galaxy S5 because it appears to be the last phone with a removable battery. Time is money.

The last time i rooted LineageOS didn't even exist yet. I don't know anything about it but there are some discussion threads online so i shouldn't have problems.

Probably it will work

48 minutes ago, phn20 said:

I am thinking about the Galaxy S5 because it appears to be the last phone with a removable battery. Time is money.

The last time i rooted LineageOS didn't even exist yet. I don't know anything about it but there are some discussion threads online so i shouldn't have problems.

Probably it will work

I have an S5 with a AOSP 9.0 based ROM (I think it's Resurrection Remix) as a car media player and it seems to run fine.
Be sure to get the G9XXF models of older samsung phones if you want ROMs/LineageOS because of unlocked bootloaders, (there are other models like the korean G9XXN as well)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

• 2 months later...

The Galaxy S4 failed to install LineageOS. The best i could do was Android 4.2 or 4.3. What a TOTAL waste of time.

One thing that stood in the way was the partition, but the websites with partition files are sketchy as hell.

I was just googling and found this https://www.androidauthority.com/lineage-os-devices-908496/

Looks like the Samsung S5 is the oldest supported. Some other candidates are the Google Pixel and the LG G2. That's about it for mainstream.