What did you learn today?

"Learn one new thing each day!", he said...

Today I learned, while shopping for my impossible to find Stabilo Swing Click highlighters, that someone bothered to make, test and sell some "Bible highlighters" O_o  which won't blead through the fin paper commonly named "bible paper"!

Because everyone needs to highlight passages in the bible that he or she surely owns and reads consciously each evening before going to sleep.

Spoiler

81LB+XBn6rL.jpg

So what did YOU learn today?

Today I learnt that the audio company Jaybird is owned by Logitech, having acquired Jaybird in 2016 for $50,000,000.

I found it pretty interesting as I respect Jaybird as an audio company and own a pair of Jaybird X3 wireless earphones, so it was cool to see that they're under the parent Logitech, who I also like as a company!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I learned that when a certain someone is absent and thus not sitting beside me, I get bored to all hell during the day.

That UPS actually pays back my student loan up to 3600$ per semester if I work for them while going to college.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, sowon said:

Today I learnt that the audio company Jaybird is owned by Logitech, having acquired Jaybird in 2016 for $50,000,000.

I found it pretty interesting as I respect Jaybird as an audio company and own a pair of Jaybird X3 wireless earphones, so it was cool to see that they're under the parent Logitech, who I also like as a company!

Actually I learned it today too while looking for a keyboard on the Logitech website.

Among other things I learned a new concept in web design: adapting a website for your audience whether they are on mobile or on desktop. It's beyond making the website responsive i.e if you are a car reseller you can't expect people to place an order from their phone so you should instead entice them to schedule an appointment or something.

And so what we have learned applies to our lives today

and God has a lot to say in his book!

I learned that having a higher credit card limit will actually help my credit score (cuz 'less' utilization) provided I don't keep racking up debt.

Today i learned that binge watching Youtube videos tutorials on how to pick locks (Bosnianbill and Lockpickinglawyer) is not a waste of my time! :D

Short version: Getting an older alarm system running i had to open 5 junction boxes with locks, instead of destroying them with a hammer/drill. I racked em open with an adjusted tiewrap end. Saving me alot of time and getting the system up and running within a day.

I learned 2 extremely satisfying things about my girlfriend yesterday.

Today... I learned the owner of my company didn't meat a housing authority representative this last weekend on his trip.  It was a cover for a fun f*ck weekend.

Glad we're spending company money wisely :)

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Today I learned that we don't value enough our ancient vegetables!

I've been looking in all the shops (regular, organic, asian, african) in the city for burdock root and for the life of me I CAN'T FIND IT  A N Y W H E R E  and that's driving me nuts as I need it for a recipe!!!

Seems as I'll need to buy some seeds and try to grow it myself as soon as I'll find a patch of earth to do just that !

Today I learned that DB Schenker has its tracking on a two hour delay... Exactly two hours after something happens it shows on the website. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

TIL some people actually say "nividia".  Thought that was just a myth lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

TIL some chinese gov-sponsored troll bots on twitter and facebook which were banned recently, are accessing these websites directly from china, without using vpn or tor.

it seems all bots are equal, but some are more equal than others.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 8/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, TetraSky said:

That UPS actually pays back my student loan up to 3600$ per semester if I work for them while going to college.

Wait what?

Full-time I'm guessing? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Even if you don’t present an argument to a political friend, they will get mad & still attack your argument. 

All I did was say he should flesh out his ideas before posting them on Facebook. I guess I’m the bad guy. 

Today I learned how to disable a monitor in Ubuntu. 

Got schooled by a colleague 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

5 hours ago, comander said:

A lot of companies do some sort of tuition reimbursement program. Google: "[company] tuition reimbursement"

The only hoop I had to jump through was getting the VP I was under to sign off... which was literally walking 5 feet, knocking on a door and going "Hey Jack, can you sign this?" 0 pushback, partially because, for a time, he went to the same university. 

My old company paid around $20,000 towards my masters degree, though I had to pay something like $4000 back when I left for a different company... and that's how I got a masters degree from a top school for something like $20k. I have coworkers with ~100-300k in loans from undergrad and MBAs at places like Harvard or MS in CS degrees from Stanford and I'm laughing with about 5k in debt at 3% interest and a bunch of funds invested elsewhere because I worked full time (or close to) since I was 16 and I never spent much. 

A whole year over here is roughly $4000 CDN without factoring those 1-dollar-per-page textbooks.

$3600 CDN per semester sounds like a lot... people would apply in droves.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Ouch... I've been so busy that I didn't post in here for a few days ?

So...

What did I learn today?

I learnt today that I most definitely should not post comments when I'm tired and/or exhausted. ?

That I should avail me the time to take a step back, reflect and then post. Even more so when I'm tired!!! ?

I also learnt that a new kind of tick endemic to Asia is starting to spread in Europe and that it's bad news for us!

12 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Ouch... I've been so busy that I didn't post in here for a few days ?

So...

What did I learn today?

I learnt today that I most definitely should not post comments when I'm tired and/or exhausted. ?

That I should avail me the time to take a step back, reflect and then post. Even more so when I'm tired!!! ?

I also learnt that a new kind of tick endemic to Asia is starting to spread in Europe and that it's bad news for us!

not going overseas intensifies.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

10 minutes ago, will4623 said:

not going overseas intensifies.

It's already in the US since 2017

On 8/21/2019 at 6:18 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

TIL some people actually say "nividia".  Thought that was just a myth lol

Enn-Vedeeah

TIL that Pearson thinks that time is finite and math people cant grammar.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

25 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

It's already in the US since 2017

...crap...

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!