750ti in a new computer

kotenok

Since I moved my gigabyte windforce 750 ti to my new computer and case, the GPU became hotter (around 10 degrees). Would replacing the gpu's thermal paste help? Would I have to buy something expensive, like thermal grizzly hydronaut or would a decent paste from a local importer suffice?

Secondly, the gpu was moved from an old pcie 2.0 build. Now it utilizes faster transfer speeds (8GT/s over 5GT/s) but it never hits 100% usage (unless I open google maps in firefox) anymore. Is it normal? CPU never maxes out either, even when I'm trying to get max FPS in video games.

It may be hotter if it is either doing more work (because it is paired with faster CPU now?) or if the case might have poor airflow around the card. More details on the system might give a clue as to what's happening here, but I wouldn't repaste yet.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

chances are since the main variable is case.. you have poor air flow in your new case. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, porina said:

It may be hotter if it is either doing more work (because it is paired with faster CPU now?) or if the case might have poor airflow around the card. More details on the system might give a clue as to what's happening here, but I wouldn't repaste yet.

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

chances are since the main variable is case.. you have poor air flow in your new case. 

GPU probably has poor airflow. I thought it was worth trying a 10$ paste over replacing a 50$ case I'm happy with, because it's a small matx case with loads of space and I did add two super strong 120 and one 1340 fans.

1 minute ago, kotenok said:

GPU probably has poor airflow. I thought it was worth trying a 10$ paste over replacing a 50$ case I'm happy with, because it's a small matx case with loads of space and I did add two super strong 120 and one 1340 fans.

repasting wont help in this case since it was good before putting it in a new case and then thermals are junk after. You need to increase airflow. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

repasting wont help in this case since it was good before putting it in a new case and then thermals are junk after. You need to increase airflow.  

It's hard to tell if it was good. I used a delta cooler blowing directly at the top of GPU in the old case.

What can I do, then? I can't add any more fans to the case.

Other components are fine, but I'm not sure. The OS m2 ssd is around 3 degrees above ambient, 2 HDDs are around ambient, too. CPU is always 5-10 degrees above ambient, GPU is ambient in non 3D stuff too. It ramps up quickly to 52-54 (10 degrees above old case and the rest of components), only in video games and graphics software and oddly enough on google maps website. I never play video games to see if stuff would get any hotter.

1 minute ago, kotenok said:

It's hard to tell if it was good. I used a delta cooler blowing directly at the top of GPU in the old case.

What can I do, then? I can't add any more fans to the case.

Other components are fine, but I'm not sure. The OS m2 ssd is around 3 degrees above ambient, 2 HDDs are around ambient, too. CPU is always 5-10 degrees above ambient, GPU is ambient in non 3D stuff too. It ramps up quickly to 52-54 (10 degrees above old case and the rest of components), only in video games and graphics software and oddly enough on google maps website. I never play video games to see if stuff would get any hotter.

well 52-54c isnt an issue... those are still great temps for any video card under any type of load. You dont need to worry about temps with GPUs until you hit in the upper 80s and 90s. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

well 52-54c isnt an issue... those are still great temps for any video card under any type of load. You dont need to worry about temps with GPUs until you hit in the upper 80s and 90s. 

Still the 750ti even while I'm trying to play with high settings in Overwatch and World of Tanks, it never hits above 60% usage and HWinfo confirms that the GPU never maxes out anything, I think. That worries me. But that's fine, too, I guess.