• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Billakos

WD NAS... gone bad

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi forum! OK, this is a big one.

The problem

I had a WD NAS My cloud for a couple of years now and I wasn’t very satisfied with the overall performance. One day I saw the Blue light of NAS blinking. I googled and it was a “firmware update”. I waited and waited but kept going for 2 days. (If I was a bit smarter and lucky I would have found a video on youtube demonstrating a firmware update/restore through the USB plug on the drive.)

Acting stupid

Being stupid I removed the drive from the case and tried to read it in my PC. The drive asked me to format it. At this point I didn’t. I looked for data recovery software to read the “partitions”. (I had the NAS separated in 5 parts/folders. A:/ was our personal data S:/ the software V:/ my work files etc). All of the software either didn’t “see” the drive at all or asked to format.

Acting more stupid

After trying a lot I though “Whatever, format it and I will recover the data”. I had an amazing software that saved me 5 times before. At this point I should have mounted the disk in a linux, but as mentioned I am stupid and I didn’t know! I had never heard of the “Ext2” format. I quick format the disk so the partitions are lost. Run the data recovery software but.. nothing! A lot of OS data recovered (I suppose from the NAS OS) but no data.

What I should have done

What I know now – or I guess at this point – is I should have updated the firmware or mount the disk on linux.

Now what?

The drive was almost backuped. Maybe 99% of it. But I am really missing those few files. After a lot of email with WD (I admire their patience with my average English and repeatable emails) WD mentioned - Ext2Fsd and – Paragon. I haven’t really figured out those software and I don’t feel they are going to work for me at this point. Is there a simple way to recover the data since they haven’t been overwritten?

2 minutes ago, Billakos said:

Is there a simple way to recover the data since they haven’t been overwritten?

Recover My Files has been the most reliable for me to actually get data back.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Recover My Files has been the most reliable for me to actually get data back.

I suppose this isn't going to work either since the format of the disk - when the data was stored - was EXT2. This is what I understood talking with WD. I have tried recuva and easeus data recovery. Both have saved me before but now...

6 minutes ago, Billakos said:

I suppose this isn't going to work either since the format of the disk - when the data was stored - was EXT2. This is what I understood talking with WD. I have tried recuva and easeus data recovery. Both have saved me before but now...

A deep scan should still find it, you haven't actually overwritten the data and RMF is able to recover data under that scenario, just yea don't get your hopes up.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

A deep scan should still find it, you haven't actually overwritten the data and RMF is able to recover data under that scenario, just yea don't get your hopes up.

I will also try deep scan with Recover My Files and post for the results. Thank you!

If that doesn't do it, I have had incredible luck with Photorec. It was originally created to pull data off of dead flash media like SD cards, but works for so much more. I would definitely recommend trying it before completely giving up. Good luck!