Weird frame/sound stutter both idle and load

miniqpa

Hello guys, 

I hope you guys have any idea what it could be. 

I have my new system up and running since two weeks now and as far as I can recall it wasn't there from the beginning but I am not 100% certain.

From time to time no matter what I am doing, idling, watching Youtube, idle in a game or real gaming I get some weird stuttering going on. It occurs only like random every 2-3 hours it seems for like not even 1 second. I notice it most of the time because my sound heavily stutters/distorted (best word to describe it) and also the frames ingame itself. It is not like a lag where the picture freezes rather it seems like a massive frame drop and then recovers quickly. 

Weird enough if I stream my OBS does not show any dropped frames. It is very short sometimes under half a second sometimes maybe a bit longer than a second. 

I observed it while idling "watching youtube" and while gaming with stream and without. 

My System:

CPU: Ryzern 7 3700X + beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4

MB: Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

Graphics: GTX 1060 6GB <<<<<<<<<<<<While gaming this is the bottleneck currently running ~90%+ GPU Core Load but issue also occures while idling

Storage: Samsung 860 Pro SSD

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 3000MHZ LPX

I am on the current drivers for Nvidia, BIOS, AMD Chipset and all the driver stuff for the Motherboard (downloaded from the asus website itself). Sound/Sata etc.

Only stuff I changed system wise was enabling Auto Overclock within Ryzen Master and in the BIOS D.O.C.P for the memory. 

Windows 10 Home 64Bit is also up to date. 

I have no clue where to start even if it is a hardware or software issue. 

Hope you guys have a starting point or any idea. 

Thanks in advance and kind regards

15 minutes ago, miniqpa said:

Hello guys, 

I have my new system up and running since two weeks now and as far as I can recall it wasn't there from the beginning but I am not 100% certain.

From time to time no matter what I am doing, idling, watching Youtube, idle in a game or real gaming I get some weird stuttering going on. It occurs only like random every 2-3 hours it seems for like not even 1 second. I notice it most of the time because my sound heavily stutters/distorted (best word to describe it) and also the frames ingame itself. It is not like a lag where the picture freezes rather it seems like a massive frame drop and then recovers quickly. 

Weird enough if I stream my OBS does not show any dropped frames. It is very short sometimes under half a second sometimes maybe a bit longer than a second. 

I observed it while idling "watching youtube" and while gaming with stream and without. 

My System:

Graphics: GTX 1060 6GB <<<<<<<<<<<<While gaming this is the bottleneck currently running ~90%+ GPU Core Load but issue also occures while idling

I am on the current drivers for Nvidia, BIOS, AMD Chipset and all the driver stuff for the Motherboard (downloaded from the asus website itself). Sound/Sata etc.

Only stuff I changed system wise was enabling Auto Overclock within Ryzen Master and in the BIOS D.O.C.P for the memory. 

So this happens once every 3 hours like you said ?  I would put CPU and GPU @ stock and let us know if this happens again.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

41 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

So this happens once every 3 hours like you said ?  I would put CPU and GPU @ stock and let us know if this happens again.

It is a rough guess usually if I am online from like 16:00 - 23:00 I notice it twice or three times. 

I did not change anything at GPU level and you suggest going back to "default" in RyzenMaster under Profile 1?

1 hour ago, miniqpa said:

It is a rough guess usually if I am online from like 16:00 - 23:00 I notice it twice or three times. 

I did not change anything at GPU level and you suggest going back to "default" in RyzenMaster under Profile 1?

Yes Profile 1 is what you should be on.  Just basically don't touch the BIOS it should be Profile 1 already.  It will take care of OCing and down clocking threads.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes Profile 1 is what you should be on.  Just basically don't touch the BIOS it should be Profile 1 already.  It will take care of OCing and down clocking threads.

Maybe I have a clue what it could be but I am not sure because I don't really know when it started. Because this was a pre built PC I checked some BIOS settings and I saw that within the BIOS PBO was set to enabled because I watched a lot of videos I think PBO is set to auto or even disabled at stock. Maybe that interfered with me choosing Auto Overclock with Ryzen Master? 

Can you maybe answer me this question too because I really can't find an answer.

I have four profiles in Ryzen Master. Creator Mode, Game Mode and Profile 1 and 2. How do I know which one is enabled? Is it the one I last changed and applied? Is Ryzen Master switching between them? 

Thank you already for your tips and suggestion when I am at home I will enable "default" in Ryzen Master and try to observe if the issue is still there. 

11 minutes ago, miniqpa said:

Maybe I have a clue what it could be but I am not sure because I don't really know when it started. Because this was a pre built PC I checked some BIOS settings and I saw that within the BIOS PBO was set to enabled because I watched a lot of videos I think PBO is set to auto or even disabled at stock. Maybe that interfered with me choosing Auto Overclock with Ryzen Master? 

Can you maybe answer me this question too because I really can't find an answer.

I have four profiles in Ryzen Master. Creator Mode, Game Mode and Profile 1 and 2. How do I know which one is enabled? Is it the one I last changed and applied? Is Ryzen Master switching between them? 

Thank you already for your tips and suggestion when I am at home I will enable "default" in Ryzen Master and try to observe if the issue is still there. 

Oh boy nice curve ball there.  Ya PBO on will OC her a bit to much for your cooling solution to handle.  You have a Dark Rock Pro 4 then you can turn on PBO, but for now we will leave it at profile 1.  There is really nothing much you have to do, it will automatically increase and decrease speed depending on what your doing.  Just make sure the RAM shows the proper speed of your RAM kit and what not.  Nothing really to touch except a fan curve for your CPU cooler.  You can do that with Smart Fan 5.  You put manual or custom on the CPU and set the curves so it isnt blasting when your behind the desktop doing general stuff.  Once there is load on the system then fan should ramp up.  For example you can set your curve the fan spins 30 percent on desktop.  Then goes to 50c and make it 60 percent until it reaches say 60c then 70 percent and 70c 80 to 100 percent depending on the cooling solution.

4 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Oh boy nice curve ball there.  Ya PBO on will OC her a bit to much for your cooling solution to handle.  You have a Dark Rock Pro 4 then you can turn on PBO, but for now we will leave it at profile 1.  There is really nothing much you have to do, it will automatically increase and decrease speed depending on what your doing.  Just make sure the RAM shows the proper speed of your RAM kit and what not.  Nothing really to touch except a fan curve for your CPU cooler.  You can do that with Smart Fan 5.  You put manual or custom on the CPU and set the curves so it isnt blasting when your behind the desktop doing general stuff.  Once there is load on the system then fan should ramp up.  For example you can set your curve the fan spins 30 percent on desktop.  Then goes to 50c and make it 60 percent until it reaches say 60c then 70 percent and 70c 80 to 100 percent depending on the cooling solution.

Ok I set within the BIOS itself PBO now to Auto or should I disable it? Ryzen Master is still on Auto Overclock (not PBO) and it just happend again. 

What I don't understand despite the issue itself which profile is active? The last one I applied? What about Creator and Game Mode?

Ryzen Master only Reports 60°C and I am gaming and streaming so max load for my doing. 

Clock Speeds MAX for all Cores from lowest 4109 too 4229 and on AVG highest 2700 MHz. 

What I just read is that the profile within ryzern master does not stay active after reboot? Is that correct?

So is the most solid option to just leave Ryzen Master alone and just enable only PBO within BIOS?

Thanks again for your help. Here is my follow up. 

As you said I loaded the Default under Profile 1 (applied & test). Never opened Ryzen Master since. 

Also I loaded optimized Default within the BIOS and ONLY actived D.O.C.P again. 

Unfortunately the issue is still there. I booted back up after loading the optimized Defaults and just started chrome and watched a video. Notice else was running the Audio begin to stutter a super short period of time. Because it was video I am not 100% certain if the picture itself also had the issue that is more noticble while gaming. 

Hello help you can help me further Turtle Rig

As you said I loaded the Default under Profile 1 (applied & test). Never opened Ryzen Master since. 

Also I loaded optimized Default within the BIOS and ONLY actived D.O.C.P again. 

Next my new graphics arrived RTX 2070 Super. Still have the issue while watching youtube. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, miniqpa said:

Hello guys, 

My System:

Is it similar to this?

I had this problem and the solution that worked for me was disabling fTPM.
Happening about 4 times a day on average maybe 2-4 hour intervals.
Do note though that disabling it makes you PC unable to install Windows 11.
Hopefully it gets fixed somehow soon, maybe updated BIOS.

EDIT: I just realized this post is from 2019, my bad. But I'll leave this here in case someone finds this and need it.

· ᛁᚠ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛅᛏ · ᛘᛁ · ᛅᚾᛏ · ᚦᛁᚾᚴ · ᛁᛚ · ᚴᛁᚠᛁ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛘᚢ · ᛋᚴᛁᚾᛋ · ᛒᛚᛁᛅᛋᛁ · ᚴᚬ · ᚠᚢᚴ · ᚢᚬᚢᚱ · ᛋᛁᛚᚠ ·